Is Old San Juan ready for tourists?

CarolinaGirl2010

San Juan National Historic Site reopens the doors of Castillo San Cristóbal to the public

:D :p :D

It is with gratitude and enthusiasm that from Monday, 20 November 2017, the national historic site of San Juan announces its reopening, beginning with opening the doors of st. Christopher's castle to the public.

The Castle San Felipe del morro will remain closed until the electrical service is restored. The entrance to san cristóbal will be free of charge while you have limited access to the facilities, so we invite you to enjoy, explore and reconnect with our cultural heritage and world heritage.

Strength, splendor, resilience. It is with these values and characteristics that we can well describe what historical fortifications represent, and it is also what we hope to inspire and provoke in everyone who visits us, while moving together towards recovery.

Stay tuned to our social networks, since we will soon be sharing our special reopening programming!

https://www.facebook.com/SanJuanNPS/

We'll be on Oasis of the Seas December 3rd and are scheduled to port in Puerto Rico. Is Old San Juan in pretty good shape? We just intend on walking around town and checking out the forts, churches, shops, etc.

I am with you on this cruise. Never been to San Juan and had a tour booked through the ship but was thinking of cancelling and playing it by ear once we arrive.

I found an hour long video that gives the best view I have found yet of what it's like in San Juan. It was a live stream done two days ago and the individual is speaking Spanish. It is still beautiful and I am looking forward to my first visit in December.

Thanks everyone. We've been to Old San Juan before and love it. Can't wait to see it again.

I just spent some time reading your blog. Love it!

What are you planning on doing? Walking OSJ? I'm trying to decide whether on not to cancel the ship new/old San Juan tour and just walk around and maybe catch a cab or trolley to the forts.

I am also from Columbia SC. My wife and I will be celebrating my 40th Birthday which is December 3rd on the Oasis.

I found an hour long video that gives the best view I have found yet of what it's like in San Juan. It was a live stream done two days ago and the individual is speaking Spanish. It is still beautiful and I am looking forward to my first visit in December.

Thanks for sharing this link. A lot of the video show scenes similar to what I remember when I was there 4 years ago. The hum of the generators being used in the subdivisions and the devastation of the trees early in the video were the only real things I found different from my memories. Looking forward to our three day pre-cruise visit to San Juan in December.

• 1 month later...