Rum Point - Cab Fare or Ferry

simon_toni

The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are either by rental car or through an excursion that includes a stop there.

A taxi is about $80 each way and since it's 45 minutes from George Town you would need to prearrange the return trip as there would be no taxis waiting in the area.

There is no ferry and the buses don't go that far.

Edited by bookbabe
  • Like 1

We were in Cayman at the end of November. We used the public bus. $2.50 to get on each time. We asked the public bus driver about getting there.

He said the last stop was a mile from Rum Point, but if you paid extra, the driver could take you there. I told him, sounds great, but then how do I get back. He said you could ask the bus driver to come back and get you at a certain time.

We have yet to try it, but are considering this for April. Either way, we're going to do Cayman on our own with the public bus this time and only book a stingray excursion. We'll be saving at least $40-60 a person. :D Plus it's a small van so it's almost like a private excursion! We never felt unsafe anywhere on Cayman that we went. Of course there could be an area that is bad but we missed it. The buses are like toyota minivans or something similar and the routes are designated by colors. You need either the yellow or green bus line to get the the west end, but red or blue to get to Rum Point. (sorry I can't remember which but you can google search the cayman busline for info). The main headquarters for the bus line is located by the library. A short two-three block walk from the pier. Exit the port area and head straight for a block or two. You may have to go left a half a block. Just ask, people will guide you in the right direction. BTW the driver said it would be like $5 more to go to Rum Point. Either way, it's still a savings.

In November, we were able to get our driver to take us to the Turtle Farm. I was concerned about our return (as usual) and he said someone would be back by and if we heard a horn honking just wave as that is the way they let you know they are coming so you can wave them down to stop. It just so happened that when we were done with the Turtle Farm we started to walk back and lo and behold, it was the same bus driver. We hopped on and asked him to take us to Seymours for some jerk then back to the port. (It's a few more blocks away from the library into town more) We even docked at a different port farther south so he had us switch buses and made sure we were on the right one. Of course, we bought him lunch at Seymours and gave him a nice tip----eventhough we didn't need to.

The bus actually stops about 3 or 4 miles from Rum Point, if it's still stopping by Chisholm's as its final stop.

Knowing the area REALLY well, I personally would not chance that you were going to luck out with a driver that would drive the extra distance for you and that that same driver would be able to make it back in a timely fashion to again go past his route that distance to pick you up and get you to the ship on time. Especially when the nearest taxis would take at least 30-45 minutes to get to you, and then you'd still have a 45 minute taxi ride back to the port.

You might be able to do it successfully, or you might not. Is that a chance you want to take when you have a definite time you absolutely have to be back so that you don't miss the ship?

We have had numerous taxis forget and/or show up late to take us back to the airport at the end of a vacation at Rum Point...and that's taxis, that are getting a lot more than a couple of dollars a head for the journey. It's happened enough that we usually rent a car for the last day now, just so that we don't have to worry about the taxi showing up.

I cannot in all conscience recommend to anyone visiting by cruise ship that they try to use public buses to go to Rum Point. If you are trying to cut costs and a rental car or excursion isn't in the budget, just take the bus to Seven Mile Beach...you'll still have fun but without all the worry... :D

Edited by bookbabe

The bus actually stops about 3 or 4 miles from Rum Point, if it's still stopping by Chisholm's as its final stop.

Knowing the area REALLY well, I personally would not chance that you were going to luck out with a driver that would drive the extra distance for you and that that same driver would be able to make it back in a timely fashion to again go past his route that distance to pick you up and get you to the ship on time. Especially when the nearest taxis would take at least 30-45 minutes to get to you, and then you'd still have a 45 minute taxi ride back to the port.

You might be able to do it successfully, or you might not. Is that a chance you want to take when you have a definite time you absolutely have to be back so that you don't miss the ship?

We have had numerous taxis forget and/or show up late to take us back to the airport at the end of a vacation at Rum Point...and that's taxis, that are getting a lot more than a couple of dollars a head for the journey. It's happened enough that we usually rent a car for the last day now, just so that we don't have to worry about the taxi showing up.

I cannot in all conscience recommend to anyone visiting by cruise ship that they try to use public buses to go to Rum Point. If you are trying to cut costs and a rental car or excursion isn't in the budget, just take the bus to Seven Mile Beach...you'll still have fun but without all the worry... :D

Thanks for posting the experiences you've had out there with getting back. I'll keep it in mind for April. If we decide to take the bus plunge I'll let you know...we are still in the air with what we want to do. We know we want Rays and Rum Point (the jerk was good!), but would like to try a different snorkel area than where they took us last time. The water was VERY rough! From what I have been reading on the boards, it doesn't appear there are to many car rental places near the pier. Have you had the opportunity to rent one while on a cruise? Your experience and info here would be great!

Bookbabe is right on the mark about how to get to and from Rum Point.

Each Cayman bus is a private business. It is very common that a bus does not complete its entire route to the eastern districts... once the bus empties they turn around. This means they might not go within 7 miles or so of Rum Point when you are depending upon them to come pick you up. Not worth the risk.

Several car rental companies will come to the waterfront to pick you up. They will take you to the airport to complete the transaction and for you to pick up your car. Cayman Auto Rentals is the only company within walking distance of the port.

Whether the water was rough at a particular snorkeling spot during your last visit has nothing to do with how it will be during your next visit. Sea conditions are highly dependent on wind strength and direction and varies greatly from day to day.

Yes, I am aware water conditions change. :rolleyes: I guess what I should have said was that I wasn't impressed with the area they took us as the current was very strong. :) But, I may have been spoiled by snorkeling just off the beautiful beaches in Aruba! ;) This is why I am thinking about visiting Cemetary Beach in Cayman....hoping for the same or even better experience than Baby Beach in Aruba. We just can't get past the wonderful jerk we had at Rum Point. :p

• 5 years later...

Has anyone used the ferry at the port to go to Rum Point? We will be in Grand Cayman at 10:00 am & the next ferry leaves at 11:00 am. The company says that we can make it, but was wondering if someone has actually done this on this time frame without any trouble of making it there in time with tender & all. I can't find any reviews, so I'm assuming it's fairly new? I just hope they're not just saying yes, you can make it, to get our money & know darn well it's not enough time.

Thanks for posting the experiences you've had out there with getting back. I'll keep it in mind for April. If we decide to take the bus plunge I'll let you know...we are still in the air with what we want to do. We know we want Rays and Rum Point (the jerk was good!), but would like to try a different snorkel area than where they took us last time. The water was VERY rough! From what I have been reading on the boards, it doesn't appear there are to many car rental places near the pier. Have you had the opportunity to rent one while on a cruise? Your experience and info here would be great!

We did the rental car to Rum Point trip during a cruise stop and it was nice. We rented from Budget (I believe) at the airport. They have a cruise rate that includes all rental fees, insurance, license fees and gas. Their driver will come get you at the Hard Rock near the port (we taxied since we were having phone issues and couldn't call). The drive is very easy and takes about 45 minutes. We snorkeled at Rum Point and then drove over to Starfish Point. Then headed back early. We would have stayed longer had we not been a bit nervous about time. Next time, we will either stay longer or build in a third stop.

After three days on the ship, being off on our own was a nice little change of pace.

As for the snorkeling, you will be a bit limited at Rum Point as the coral gardens (a popular excursion location) are pretty far off shore. We did a drift along the shoreline about 100 yards or so off the shore and found it quite nice. Google "Rum Point Drift Snorkel" and you will find an online snorkeling guide to the area.

Although only based on one trip, I will back up what has already been said. Once I got past somewhere around BoddenTown, I don't remember seeing many cars at all, and certainly not any taxis or busses. I wouldn't chance it.

Has anyone used the ferry at the port to go to Rum Point? We will be in Grand Cayman at 10:00 am & the next ferry leaves at 11:00 am. The company says that we can make it, but was wondering if someone has actually done this on this time frame without any trouble of making it there in time with tender & all. I can't find any reviews, so I'm assuming it's fairly new? I just hope they're not just saying yes, you can make it, to get our money & know darn well it's not enough time.

I would doubt that you could make it to Camana Bay, which I think is where the ferry leaves from, by 11am if you don't arrive until 10am. It's a tender port, so you'd have to be on the absolutely first tender, to be on shore for say 10:30 by the time you work your way through lines and wait for everyone else to board, etc. Then exit the port area, find a taxi that is willing to shuttle you to Camana Bay, 15 min drive there, walk through the mall to the docks and buy tickets. Yeah, you'd be cutting it close and if even one thing took longer you'd miss it.

Rent a car or take an excursion that stops at Rum Point. Way easier and less stressful.

Since this thread originally started in 2012 a company Cayman Ferries has re-instituted ferry service to the Kaibo Yacht Club and Rum Point. (No service on Mondays) I am relying on their website information linked above, though perhaps things have changed a bit. Verify with them to be sure of details.

The ferry departs from Camana Bay, not from the port. You would need a taxi from the port to Camana Bay to catch the ferry, and a return taxi to get back to the port. Taxis are not always waiting for the ferry return so you may need to call ahead or build in enough time to wait for a taxi.

Their website lists departures from Camana Bay at 11:30am (Tues-Fri). You should have enough time to reach the ferry departure point at Camana Bay if your stated arrival in port is 10am.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how far a walk it is to the Rum Point beach from the Cayman Ferry dock? Not afraid of walking but don't like a long walk in sun/heat. Thanks!

At the Rum Point end? If they are going to Rum Point, the beach is right there at the end of the dock. If they are going to the Kaibo, then the walk is about 30 minutes and I wouldn't do it.

The ferry claims Rum Point/Kaibo, but only shows a Kiabo docking. Does that mean they only have one stop and figure Rum Point is close enough to claim it? Or are there two stops and they just don't list the Rum Point times?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ferry claims Rum Point/Kaibo, but only shows a Kiabo docking. Does that mean they only have one stop and figure Rum Point is close enough to claim it? Or are there two stops and they just don't list the Rum Point times?

I'd email them to ask. It makes a fairly big difference if you're wanting to go to the Rum Point beach club, and they only dock at the Kaibo. It's technically walkable, but it's a long walk and not one I personally enjoy.

The ferry docks at Kaibo only, but they shuttle you over to Rum Point in a van if you wish to go there. Then they pick you up in time for you to return on the ferry you wish to catch.

The ferry is nice, staff was friendly, it was a great trip. I recommend it highly as a way to go to Rum Point, if it fits into your ship's schedule.