What are the best beaches in Costa Maya

MsJersey84

Hi,

My husband and I will be cruising on the Celebrity Equinox in June 2017... We are trying to figure out what beach on the Costa Maya Port has everything we are looking for..

We would like a beach were we can get beach messages, has good drinks and we can rent Jet skies.. If you can, can you please quote us pricing if you can remember.

Thank you in Advance

Watch out for the politics and payoffs at the port in Costa Maya. It was the only time we were ever held at gun point by rifle armed Federales.

We pre-booked an independent tour with a company that decided not to operate out of the port because of the kick backs they were forced to pay. So just outside of town, our two vans with ship's passengers were stopped and held while the tour guide had to go back to the office to get our prepaid vouchers in order to prove they didn't hawk tours at the port. It took 45 minutes before they let us go.

I have never gone back to Mexico since... especially after what they did to the Marine who accidentally made a wrong turn into Mexico with a gun in his trunk.

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable visit to Costa Maya. The people (other than Federales) are very friendly.

However this thread should be moved to the Ports of Call board.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

While I agree that Tropicante is a great stop, not sure if Steve has jet skis handy, although he could arrange for some. Krazy Lobster near by does. Tequila Beach has some too, not that that's where you'd want to go. Maybe YaYas ? because they have the diving stuff? But I don't think there are all that many available.

For the OP, the beaches along the malecon in Mahahual are all one long single beach. Each club has a little territory "staked out" and some almost invisible dividing lines between each. The area where jet skis will be used is multi-purpose and not only swimmers, but catamarans, and SUPs use the same waters.

• 10 months later...
We just got back from a port stop in Costa Maya and went to Maya Chan. From reservation to the end of the day it was a fantastic time!

The people and food are amazing as are the facilities.

Who did you book your excursion with?

Who did you book your excursion with?

You book directly with them. Just google Maya Chan. Mark, the owner, is very responsive with emails. They pickup/deliver at the back of the port area.

We are returning there on Friday (24-Nov) as our visit a few years ago was over the top. There are also plenty of reviews and feedback in this forum, to help you decide.

We immensely enjoyed our time in Maya Chan. That link will take you to some more pictures, but it was down to this: We just booked our next cruise, we are missing Costa Maya, and my kids are upset that this means we won't be going back to Maya Chan. It helps that Mexican beer (of which their selection was impressive) and excellent tacos are among my favorite things to eat, but, yeah, I would definitely go back there.