Motion Sickness on Pride of America

SCRUFFYCRUISER

BirdTravels has the location pegged for the least possible adverse conditions to sailing.

- low and centered will have the least motion.

But with that you won't have any fancy balcony or suites - most of these are topside.

Anyway not to worry - Hawaiian waters are for the most part without event - smooth sailing.

EXCEPT if you are on a surf board going thru a north shore pipe line in the winter months !

The north shore waters can be troublesome - but Hey you are on a big ole ship 5 some miles out to sea -

so no problem bro - surfs up but won't pose a problem - the POA is not a surf board by any means !

The worst conditions you may expect is a heavy dose of pineapple showers during the winter and spring months.

Can I expect much motion sickness on Pride of America? What are the best / worst stateroom locations for sea sickness? Thanks!

We have done this cruise many times and find the aft cabins have min. motion compared to forward. Also for this cruise the ship stays reasonably close to shore, which minimized motion.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the cruise last month and yes we did feel a lot of motion throughout the ship. You had to hold onto the railings walking up and downstairs as it was very wobbly. I took motion sickness tablets before boarding so was fine but my OH felt a bit sick one night and had to go to bed early. He used the motion bands after this and was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the ship last SAturday and YES there is rocking and motion. First night was very rough. Had to hold on to handrails and those prone to sea sickness would have been sick. Also, midweek after Hilo was cancelled sailing around maui there was motion as well. I am not a sea expert but i would guess 8 to 12 foot seas the first night and the 3rd. It is not like any Mediterrean cruise I have been on where the summer waters on generally smooth . This is the Pacific and winter there so the swells are present. Go on prepared with your meds.

Hi! Also just off the POA and I suffer from motion sickness. I have learned what works for me-unfortunately I forgot my seabands and I got dizzy as soon as I got on board- before we left port. Luckily the sundry shop had seabands and other supplies. Personally I like Bonine, which they had available. Last week was a rough week on the POA. As previously stated, the first night was rough and there were several other nights where the waves kept me awake. Also the loud bumps which I heard someone refer to as all the whales we were hitting. We also skipped Hilo as there were 30 ft. Swells expected and the Captain announced it would not be safe. Later learned it is extremely rare they skip a port on this ship. So it may have been that we lucked into the bad weather. With all that, I never actually got sick by using my seabands and taking my meds- take them before you need them. I was also really really glad to get off the boat on Sat to stop the rocking!