Evening chic

goldfish1111

Hi. Can my husband wear slacks and a short sleeve polo on evening chic nights? We will be on the Summit sailing around the Caribbean. Thanks

He could but why should he? The idea of evening chic is to look just a little smarter than on a regular smart casual night. On a Caribbean cruise I wear a v neck cashmere sweater with a button down white shirt and dress pants, not Dockers, and dress shoes. That works for me.

People still dress up more formally but that's their business.

Enjoy your cruising days.

If you are talking to me Luvcrsn; then yes it is probably more casual as some will dress. :) Our problem is that we live in Cozumel, Mexico and dressing up for us is nice capris for me and dress shorts & a polo shirt for my husband. Our wardrobe; especially my husband's does not include fancy clothes. And we wear sandals all year round.

Living in Cozumel doesn't sound like a problem to me!;p As for polo shirts they'll be fine. Shorts are not allowed in the MDR any evening, especially evening chic nights. I think the buffet would accept them. Slacks, or nice jeans would be acceptable under the Celebrity guidelines.

People wear jeans and polos most nights including chic, it depends on your maitre d as to what they let in. Dress really ranges but to be safe a shirt maybe better

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jeans and polos are perfectly acceptable for chic nights.

Hi. Can my husband wear slacks and a short sleeve polo on evening chic nights? We will be on the Summit sailing around the Caribbean. Thanks

I'd say that's too casual. A nice button down collared shirt would be better. We saw quite a few pax get denied entry on Eclipse MDR due to that dress style on Chic night. You can try, but it's up to the Maître D's decision. They may call it "Chic" but I'll admit I never saw so many tuxes & gowns as we did this past Jan. Thought we were back on Cunard.

I'd say that's too casual. A nice button down collared shirt would be better. We saw quite a few pax get denied entry on Eclipse MDR due to that dress style on Chic night. You can try, but it's up to the Maître D's decision. They may call it "Chic" but I'll admit I never saw so many tuxes & gowns as we did this past Jan. Thought we were back on Cunard.

They will not deny you entry, just not going to happen. That dress is perfectly fine as so many others have said.

DH and I will be in more formal wear than most! I love to get all dressed up and this will no different on our next cruise. We tend to dress a little lessformal on regular nights but will dress to the nines on "chic" night!

snow bunny

You know it's kind of funny. With all this talk about "Chic" night, we never saw so many tuxes/gowns as we did on our Jan.2017 14 day trip on the Eclipse. Each Chic night pax dressed up a little more. By the third chic night, it looked like Cunard at it's finest! I think some pax like to B/S a bit & say the dress code has become more lax(obviously to their liking)From what we see(at least on the Eclipse)that's not true. Probably one of the reasons, is we do 14 day trips. Most pax are older than us & I think still like the more "traditional" way of cruising, which is fine by us!

From previous posts I've noted that Keithm tends to favor people dressing up. I think people see what they want. If you stay within the posted guidelines on Celebrity's website you will be fine however you choose to interpret it. You will see everything from designer jeans and polo, capris and nice top to tuxes and gowns. Dress to impress yourself and your travelling companion and don't worry so much about the opinions of folks you don't know and will probably never meet and enjoy your cruise. The only folks I've ever seen turned away are gentlemen who forgot to remove their hats were requested to do so, and those wearing shorts were requested to change into long pants. The maître d's are friendly and want you to have a wonderful experience. They are not scowling, judgmental tyrants waiting to make you unhappy.

From previous posts I've noted that Keithm tends to favor people dressing up. I think people see what they want. If you stay within the posted guidelines on Celebrity's website you will be fine however you choose to interpret it. You will see everything from designer jeans and polo, capris and nice top to tuxes and gowns. Dress to impress yourself and your travelling companion and don't worry so much about the opinions of folks you don't know and will probably never meet and enjoy your cruise. The only folks I've ever seen turned away are gentlemen who forgot to remove their hats were requested to do so, and those wearing shorts were requested to change into long pants. The maître d's are friendly and want you to have a wonderful experience. They are not scowling, judgmental tyrants waiting to make you unhappy.

Agree about Keithm. Strongly believe that people see what they want to see. The beauty of Celebrity's dress code is you can wear pretty much what you want and should not be concerned with what others wear.

Agree about Keithm. Strongly believe that people see what they want to see. The beauty of Celebrity's dress code is you can wear pretty much what you want and should not be concerned with what others wear.

I think the first thing to say is that it's an individuals vacation and I agree with you 100% that no one should be concerned with what others think. I do get the impression that a few on here that seem to suggest you must wear more formal wear etc which is absolutely NOT the case.

I would add though that I was on the same Eclipse sailing as KeithM in the Caribbean and I also agree with him. People really did make an effort. We were in Luminae for that trip which has always been smart casual. But I didn't see anyone in smart casual wear in Kuninae on that entire trip on Chic nights. Everyone did make an effort. As for KeithM's comments on age, our party was aged between 36 and 41. Probably younger than him?

So I agree people should dress how they want to. But I read comments on here that suggest smart casual is now very popular etc and all I can add is that this has not been the case on my last two Celebrity sailings. A 14 night Southern Caribbean and a 14 night Baltic cruise. Both had plenty of suite and tuxes etc. I can't stress enough though that I believe people should dress the way they want to and not feel pressured in any way by what other imply on here!

I think the first thing to say is that it's an individuals vacation and I agree with you 100% that no one should be concerned with what others think. I do get the impression that a few on here that seem to suggest you must wear more formal wear etc which is absolutely NOT the case.

I would add though that I was on the same Eclipse sailing as KeithM in the Caribbean and I also agree with him. People really did make an effort. We were in Luminae for that trip which has always been smart casual. But I didn't see anyone in smart casual wear in Kuninae on that entire trip on Chic nights. Everyone did make an effort. As for KeithM's comments on age, our party was aged between 36 and 41. Probably younger than him?

So I agree people should dress how they want to. But I read comments on here that suggest smart casual is now very popular etc and all I can add is that this has not been the case on my last two Celebrity sailings. A 14 night Southern Caribbean and a 14 night Baltic cruise. Both had plenty of suite and tuxes etc. I can't stress enough though that I believe people should dress the way they want to and not feel pressured in any way by what other imply on here!

Yup. You're younger than me! We're 63/55. Just kind of strange how pax dressed more formally on our Jan.22 cruise than on the one the year prior. Specialty rest. were pretty much smart casual. Pax seemed to dress up more for the MDR.

Yes, I Do. My opinion. I just like a nicely dressed group. I'm not forcing anyone to do differently, but we each have opinions that should be respected. Yup. I always get told to remove the hat & always do!(yes, my bad!)

Yup. You're younger than me! We're 63/55. Just kind of strange how pax dressed more formally on our Jan.22 cruise than on the one the year prior. Specialty rest. were pretty much smart casual. Pax seemed to dress up more for the MDR.

Our cruise previous to that and we were in Blu on chic nights. Again, people made an effort even though it is smart casual in there.

Back onboard next month for a B2B, it will be interesting to see if anything has changed.

We were used to Celebrity and the dress code but it has changed since we were last on a Med. cruise in 2013.

Next year in August in the Med. hubby is planning on smart light coloured trousers, a white linen shirt and possibly a light coloured jacket for the evening chic. (No formal gear as we do on P&O).

Me, well, I have no idea what I am supposed to wear at all. I would normally wear dark evening dresses --- don't do short cocktail ones as they really don't suit me at all. I have some long colourful dresses that I would normally wear on a smart casual night, but nothing special. Any ideas what most women wear as I don't want to over pack or over dress. Help!

We were used to Celebrity and the dress code but it has changed since we were last on a Med. cruise in 2013.

Next year in August in the Med. hubby is planning on smart light coloured trousers, a white linen shirt and possibly a light coloured jacket for the evening chic. (No formal gear as we do on P&O).

Me, well, I have no idea what I am supposed to wear at all. I would normally wear dark evening dresses --- don't do short cocktail ones as they really don't suit me at all. I have some long colourful dresses that I would normally wear on a smart casual night, but nothing special. Any ideas what most women wear as I don't want to over pack or over dress. Help!

I usually wear black flowy pants and a sparkly top or long sunndresses and accessorize.

I usually wear black flowy pants and a sparkly top or long sunndresses and accessorize.

Thanks - I was thinking that ..... but, to be honest, it doesn't feel glam chic to me. I like my formal stuff, but hey, ho we signed up knowing the new dress code so will go with the flow and not complain :-)

Personally, I pack to fit the guidelines and dress to fit the occasion nightly. Once I enter the dining room I'm more concerned with the menu selections and dinner conversation than watching for violators being turned away by a mean maitre d lurking to turn away guests. I could care less.

But what were they wearing when they were denied entry??

T shirts is what I remembered more than anything. Shorts is the other. The shorts are a pretty much guarantee denial at night. Obviously I'm talking the MDR. The buffet is pretty much anything goes. They say no bathing shorts etc. I've seen enough of those.

Personally, I pack to fit the guidelines and dress to fit the occasion nightly. Once I enter the dining room I'm more concerned with the menu selections and dinner conversation than watching for violators being turned away by a mean maitre d lurking to turn away guests. I could care less.

Sorry, but I don't care to see pax in shorts & T shirts in the MDR at night. During the day, fine but not at night. If I wanted to eat at a flea market I'd go to a flea market! Last Jan. This guy was wearing shorts & one of those cheesy Tux print t shirts(this was Chic night). The group in the elevator going to dinner were in suits, tuxes & the like. We wore suits as well. The guy gets in the elevator & snarkily comments "Ohh! look! You're all going to your proms. How cute!" I then responded Ohhh! I see you're going to your trailer trash Jamboree at the Golden Corral!

Nasty? Certainly was, but I got the laughs & he got the sour grapes!

DH and I will be in more formal wear than most! I love to get all dressed up and this will no different on our next cruise. We tend to dress a little lessformal on regular nights but will dress to the nines on "chic" night!

snow bunny

You won’t be alone. DH and I are tux and long gown folks. Cocktail dress, sport coat and tie is the least dressed up we will be at night. Everyone should dress as they like and have the vacation they want. We simply choose to dress up as it pleases us.

Shorts are not allowed in the MDR any evening,...

Are shorts allowed first night? We have only cruised RCCL and this is allowed. We don’t always receive luggage in time for first seating dinner. Do I need to pack dress pants in carry-on?

Are shorts allowed first night? We have only cruised RCCL and this is allowed. We don’t always receive luggage in time for first seating dinner. Do I need to pack dress pants in carry-on?

No. They're not allowed in any restaurants on any night. You're welcome to wear them in the OV cafe though I believe.

No. They're not allowed in any restaurants on any night. You're welcome to wear them in the OV cafe though I believe.

Mynki is correct but then reality kicks in, they very often let people in the first night with shorts because they know some don’t get their luggage. I always pack pants in my carry on and wear a shirt appropriate to the MDR.