Folks - Have you ever had a lost item left in your stateroom not returned to you?

LighthouseKeeper91

I left tshirts we bought in cozumel in a bag on the couch. I filed the form for forgotten/left behind items and they want me to pay $24.99 shipping.

ummm...yea they can keep the tshirts...lol They were the ones you buy 4 for $10 for little kids :)

Very nice - above and beyond. I like outcomes like this. :)

I took my niece for her 18th birthday/HS Grad present in an aft penthouse. She loved pulling the curtain to have her own area.

Both Hanno, the Concierge and Jennifer, the Butler were so kind to my niece. And you can imagine how distressed a teen is to lose their phone! So, Hanno is her hero! I am hoping he is still with NCL when my niece graduates college. It would be fun to book a cruise he's on last minute as a surprise to her!

I was very impressed with the kindness of Hanno and the NCL guest who reunited Katie and her phone, and grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife left a watch in the safe on a Carnival cruise - it was behind the lip on the front of the safe. Got a call from Carnival about a week later - we didn't even know the watch was missing. They returned it.

My wife left a pair of Tiffany earrings we figure around the same spot. Contacted NCL. Never heard a word back

Unfortunately for us, we lost items on NCL as well as Princess - my son's prescription glasses, packable down jackets and a silk Cocoon travel blanket - never received anything back though we described exactly where the items were left.

Happened to us 3 times, with different outcomes. Disclosure: I blame no-one else including the cruise lines for leaving things on the cruise ship and my forgetfullness.

1st time: We had dropped of our son at the children's center after a nice dinner on the first night of our 7 day carribbean cruise. I took my son's game case (very nice stainless steel and expensive looking) including a Nintendo DS and about 8 DS games (well worth over $400) from him as I didn't want to chance him losing any of the games while he was in the center. Boy that was dumb! :) We immediately went to a show in one of the night clubs (I still remember the comedian was doing impressions of Lionel Ritchie and was very funny). So we arrived late and we were only able to snag a few spots at the back of the venue behind an obstruction. After a few people left the show early, we quickly scuttled to better seats albeit no obstruction. What I didn't realize at the time was that I had stowed my son's Nintendo (case and all) underneath our current chairs and failed to reach down and retrieve it when we quickly jumped to grab better seats. Didn't realize my errors until a couple hours later after picking my son up and he says "where's my Nintendo." :( I immediately went down to the front desk and filled out a detailed report including where I left the console-games etc.

Outcome: Never saw the case, the console or any of the games ever again. It's possible that one of my fellow cruisers' son or daughter might have gotten a nice going away cruise gift, really hard to know what came of it.

2nd time: Last day of the cruise. Had everything packed and our luggage was already taken to the pier the night before.I had left my (not cheap) 2 way Motorola radios out on the bed in our stateroom so I could remain in communication with my wife and son (eating their last breakfast up at the buffet). My wife in her haste had left the room to get breakfast without taking "her" radio. After waiting for over an hour I left the cabin (radios on bed) to set out and find them at the buffet. Fast forward I ended up finding them and thinking, we're all packed and I have nothing left to return to the cabin for (big mistake), we headed down to disembark the ship (the door was closed so only our room steward had access to the radios). Didn't realize I forgot them on the bed until we were at the airiport. I called NCL and completed the lost and found report when we returned back home that night.

Outcome: Never heard anything back let alone recover the radios.

3rd time: (this past Escape cruise October 2017). I had left my cruise organizer (8x11 plastic accordian folder) containing my weekly plans (dining reservation slots and entertainment) as well as my reading glasses and my own NCL UBP FAVS DRINKS LIST (yep yours truly, Warm-water diver authored that list) on a leather chair at Tobacco Road (whiskey bar on deck 8). Again realizing my error following dinner at Cagney's, I proceeded to the front desk and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was found and entered into the lost and found list. After describing what it looked like and the contents, it was returned to me. I'm guessing since my eyeglasses and paperwork was of little to no value to anyone else, it was turned in. :)

So my assumptions: If you leave anything of significant value onboard, you most likely have a very small chance of ever seeing it again.

Happened to us 3 times, with different outcomes. Disclosure: I blame no-one else including the cruise lines for leaving things on the cruise ship and my forgetfullness.

1st time: We had dropped of our son at the children's center after a nice dinner on the first night of our 7 day carribbean cruise. I took my son's game case (very nice stainless steel and expensive looking) including a Nintendo DS and about 8 DS games (well worth over $400) from him as I didn't want to chance him losing any of the games while he was in the center. Boy that was dumb! :) We immediately went to a show in one of the night clubs (I still remember the comedian was doing impressions of Lionel Ritchie and was very funny). So we arrived late and we were only able to snag a few spots at the back of the venue behind an obstruction. After a few people left the show early, we quickly scuttled to better seats albeit no obstruction. What I didn't realize at the time was that I had stowed my son's Nintendo (case and all) underneath our current chairs and failed to reach down and retrieve it when we quickly jumped to grab better seats. Didn't realize my errors until a couple hours later after picking my son up and he says "where's my Nintendo." :( I immediately went down to the front desk and filled out a detailed report including where I left the console-games etc.

Outcome: Never saw the case, the console or any of the games ever again. It's possible that one of my fellow cruisers' son or daughter might have gotten a nice going away cruise gift, really hard to know what came of it.

2nd time: Last day of the cruise. Had everything packed and our luggage was already taken to the pier the night before.I had left my (not cheap) 2 way Motorola radios out on the bed in our stateroom so I could remain in communication with my wife and son (eating their last breakfast up at the buffet). My wife in her haste had left the room to get breakfast without taking "her" radio. After waiting for over an hour I left the cabin (radios on bed) to set out and find them at the buffet. Fast forward I ended up finding them and thinking, we're all packed and I have nothing left to return to the cabin for (big mistake), we headed down to disembark the ship (the door was closed so only our room steward had access to the radios). Didn't realize I forgot them on the bed until we were at the airiport. I called NCL and completed the lost and found report when we returned back home that night.

3rd time: (this past Escape cruise October 2017). I had left my cruise organizer (8x11 plastic accordian folder) containing my weekly plans (dining reservation slots and entertainment) as well as my reading glasses and my own NCL UBP FAVS DRINKS LIST (yep yours truly, Warm-water diver authored that list) on a leather chair at Tobacco Road (whiskey bar on deck 8). Again realizing my error following dinner at Cagney's, I proceeded to the front desk and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was found and entered into the lost and found list. After describing what it looked like and the contents, it was returned to me. I'm guessing since my eyeglasses and paperwork was of little to no value to anyone else, it was turned in. :)

So my assumptions: If you leave anything of significant value onboard, you most likely have a very small chance of ever seeing it again.

If you walk around the ship on disembarkation day you will see many many stateroom doors open as it is a crash course in cabin turnover/cleaning. There are a LOT of people who explore ships in this time span checking out various staterooms/configurations. I doubt only your steward had access.

If you walk around the ship on disembarkation day you will see many many stateroom doors open as it is a crash course in cabin turnover/cleaning. There are a LOT of people who explore ships in this time span checking out various staterooms/configurations. I doubt only your steward had access.

You are correct. The rooms that are propped open were opened by the stewards in preparation for cleaning and turnover. My cabin was left with the door closed (locked). The cabin steward had to open the door with their card-key and in turn would have seen 2 large red 2 way radios sitting on the bed. No other cruiser would have have been able to open a locked stateroom in which they did not have the proper card-key.

Happened to us 3 times, with different outcomes. Disclosure: I blame no-one else including the cruise lines for leaving things on the cruise ship and my forgetfullness

For your second example, when the steward realized you left the cabin, the door was then most likely opened wide for all at that time. And you never know if your steward could have turned them in and the theft happen at another point in the process. Call me pollyanna or just know that I do like to give the benefit of the doubt to others.

For your second example, when the steward realized you left the cabin, the door was then most likely opened wide for all at that time. And you never know if your steward could have turned them in and the theft happen at another point in the process. Call me pollyanna or just know that I do like to give the benefit of the doubt to others.

and I would agree 100% with you. It's pure speculation as to what happened to the equipment after I left it in the room. I was just sharing my personal experiences in response to the O.P. and of course Y.M.M.V. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We were on a RCCL cruise, last Spring. When leaving, my wife dropped her wallet on the floor of the cabin. Apparently the steward didn’t notice it, as we got a call from the people who were staying in the cabin and they had found the wallet and took it to the customer service desk. we contacted RCCL and they said they would priority mail it to us when they tot to the first port. They did it and we had it 3 days later, only to find the money (about $150) and 3 credit cards were missing. We called the credit card companies and made them aware of it. They stopped the card usage and issued new cards. Only 1 card was used for a small purchase. I’m sure it was a test charge and shortly after that the cards were useless, But, what bugs us is where the money went. Someone along the chain made off with it. So, be careful out there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have left things a few times - a coach wristlet, 1 shoe (of a brand new pair ugh!), something else that I can't remember. Even when I contacted the cruise line, they were never able to find/return it. Good luck but I would not get my hopes up.

I left my Kindle in my cabin at the end of the cruise and it took three months, but it was finally delivered to me. I started the process right away with a phone call to corporate and a claim. I even registered it on this silly website they recommended that many hotels, the airlines and cruiselines use. Their feedback was that it wasn't found.

I kept calling corporate in Miami every two weeks and kept hearing it was "in transit". It was a surprise to have it arrive by Fedex.

I'm so sorry you had to experience that however the cruise line can hide behind their disclaimer that they are not responsible for lost or stolen items the best thing to do is try to collect the loss on a home owners or renter's insurance policy. Another thing that is International waters they are regulated differently and people who work in that industry receive low wages and finding something like that is like receiving a lottery winning. Again I'm so sorry for your loss. I shall pray for it's return!

OP UPDATE: Guys, I got the headphones back!

NCL reached out to me, notifying me my claim had been found. I paid $18 for them to be priority shipped back to me which took only 3 days.

Just as a follow up: I would never blame a cruise line for my silly mistake. I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I could just replace the headphones if necessary. However, not everyone is in that same boat (LOL) so I could understand how this could become quite devastating.

If you've ever had to file a claim, you might notice that the Lost and Found center is outsourced to another company. When you create a claim, it goes through a completely separate agency, when you call, you're not talking to someone from NCL. These individuals are the people I was having issues with, they were quite rude and I'm not satisfied with the way they handled the situation.

To avoid this, I will try not to loose anything next time I cruise. Thank you for all your input! :D

Edited by LighthouseKeeper91
formatting

NCL reached out to me, notifying me my claim had been found. I paid $18 for them to be priority shipped back to me which took only 3 days.

Just as a follow up: I would never blame a cruise line for my silly mistake. I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I could just replace the headphones if necessary. However, not everyone is in that same boat (LOL) so I could understand how this could become quite devastating.

If you've ever had to file a claim, you might notice that the Lost and Found center is outsourced to another company. When you create a claim, it goes through a completely separate agency, when you call, you're not talking to someone from NCL. These individuals are the people I was having issues with, they were quite rude and I'm not satisfied with the way they handled the situation.

To avoid this, I will try not to loose anything next time I cruise. Thank you for all your input! :D

Awesome. Congrats!

Glad there is a happy outcome for you!

My last cruise (in 2004) I left all my purchased photos from my cruise in the luggage area of the terminal when disembarking. This was in Ft. Lauderdale, and I had driven myself. I didn't notice until I was in Jacksonville.

I called Royal Caribbean, and they claimed they'd look and call me back, but never did.