January Changes

marieps

It's not posted on the website yet, but we've received an email that the Silhouette January 14th sailing will skip St. Maarten and Dominica, and not overnight in San Juan. St. Criox, Antigua and an extra sea day being added. Just an alert to January cruisers who may have thought, as we did, that your itinerary will remain intact.

We too just received an email for a change on Jan 7 Eclipse cruise. The first stop has been changed from St. Maarten to St. Thomas, USVI.

The small amount of info I can find about St Thomas shows the devastation to be similar to St Maarten so can’t understand why that would be chosen as an alternate destination. I can only assume that the industry is having trouble trying to fit all the ships into a reduced number of ports.

Has anyone seen St Thomas recently?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Would you share with us your favourite spot in Antigua?

Thanks

If you like active type excursions, I highly (and I mean HIGHLY) recommend Antigua Paddles. Hands down, the best excursion and the owners are amazing!! You won't regret it!! We've done it twice.

We too just received an email for a change on Jan 7 Eclipse cruise. The first stop has been changed from St. Maarten to St. Thomas, USVI.

The small amount of info I can find about St Thomas shows the devastation to be similar to St Maarten so can’t understand why that would be chosen as an alternate destination. I can only assume that the industry is having trouble trying to fit all the ships into a reduced number of ports.

I haven’t seen Saint Thomas recently but I just spoke yesterday to separate folks on the island, neither of them have electricity. Still.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree! Not sure why Celebrity changed to St Thomas as I don't think the island is back to normal. Also, while they changed the itinerary, there are no shore excursions offered yet for St Thomas, even though they are advertising a shore excursion sale that ends in 6 hours! We'd prefer to stop at an island not affected by the hurricanes!

Jan 10 St Thomas on the Eclipse

Just looked at the shore excursions for our first stop at St Thomas, USVI. Can’t see anything we’re interested in so will likely either stay on the ship or do a walk off into the nearby shops. We are scheduled to be there in a Wed...the busiest Cruise Ship day of the week with up to 6 boats in the harbour at once. The two Docks can apparently handle 5 boats at once so it’s possible we may be tendered ashore.

Reading the latest reviews from folks that just left there, the island is still in very bad shape. One reviewer said that their sightseeing tour was

“depressing”. The Main Street is apparently up and running with most shops now open. Magen’s Bay is open with new restrooms but not much foliage. The Gondola is apparently also open with the shop at the top on Gen power.

This is all info I’ve gleaned from member and others posts so can’t vouch for the accuracy or completeness of anything. Will decide what we’re doing the day we get there.