Infinity Going To The Dogs?

Sandtrap328

Mrs. Trap and I are currently (Nov. 17) on The Infinity and entering the Panama Canal tomorrow morning. Excellent cruise with a great housekeeping staff, waitstaff, and crew. The Entertainment Staff, led by Luigi, needs to kick it up a few notches in order to be considered average.

Well, there is one lady on board the ship who has her "emotional support dog" with her in a doll buggy. The dog is a chichuhua mix of a couple of breeds. It is a noisy dog, barking at guests and even growling if they get close. Nasty little critter. The woman even takes it to the MDR and cuts up meat for it and puts the meat in a bowl in the buggy for the animal. She will not leave the dog alone in the cabin because it barks!

Why does Celebrity allow this animal? It is not a service dog because it does not provide a service as described by the ADA.. She either is too cheap to board the dog or "off" enough to think she cannot travel without it. Stay home!

Mrs. Trap and I are currently (Nov. 17) on The Infinity and entering the Panama Canal tomorrow morning. Excellent cruise with a great housekeeping staff, waitstaff, and crew. The Entertainment Staff, led by Luigi, needs to kick it up a few notches in order to be considered average.

Well, there is one lady on board the ship who has her "emotional support dog" with her in a doll buggy. The dog is a chichijuwa mix of a couple of breeds. It is a noisy dog, barking at guests and even growling if they get close. Nasty little critter. The woman even takes it to the MDR and cuts up meat for it and puts the meat in a bowl in the buggy for the animal. She will not leave the dog alone in the cabin because it barks!

Why does Celebrity allow this animal. It is not a service dog because it does not provide a service. She either is too cheap to board the dog or looney enough to think she cannot travel without it. Stay home!

This woman has been written about before on this board and you are correct it is not a service dog which is the only dog the cruise line is required to allow on board. It is a disgrace that Celebrity allows this however my guess is she is some kind of VIP, does many, many cruises, a member of a controlling family or a big stockholder. There has to be a reason behind this.

Well, there is one lady on board the ship who has her "emotional support dog" with her in a doll buggy. The dog is a chichuhua mix of a couple of breeds. It is a noisy dog, barking at guests and even growling if they get close. Nasty little critter. The woman even takes it to the MDR and cuts up meat for it and puts the meat in a bowl in the buggy for the animal. She will not leave the dog alone in the cabin because it barks!

Why does Celebrity allow this animal? It is not a service dog because it does not provide a service as described by the ADA.. She either is too cheap to board the dog or "off" enough to think she cannot travel without it. Stay home!

True support dogs would be well-trained and not be growling or barking at guests. If she is in fact abusing the privilege of bringing on a support animal in name only then shame on her. There is too much of this going on these days - people taking advantage of the situation. It's a shame as it hurts those who truly need and can benefit by a well-trained support animal.

The cruise lines needs to crack down on this abuse of the ADA service dogs. I've seen it more often. I'm afraid they are worried about litigation if they confront a passenger, i.e., you are not allowed to ask what their disability is.

In the US there is no registry of trained service dogs and the cruise line (as well as airlines and other means of public conveyance have no legal means to stop this woman and the others who take advantage. Why does Celebrity allow it? Because right now it has no choice.

Exactly, Cruisestitch. They have to allow it. Emotional support animals do not need special training. They actually don't need to have had ANY training. There are only two questions a business can ask regarding services animals, and ONLY if it's not obvious what the animal is there for. 1. Is the animal required for a disability? 2. What has the animal been trained to do? They can't ask what the disability is... so #1 is a yes or no answer. #2 can be a simple "give comfort" answer. That's it. There are, of course, documentations necessary... a health certificate, for example, in order to fly or board a cruise ship. You can't just show up with one. But no documentation is required proving the animal is a "service" animal. It's a very large pet peeve of mine that people would bring a pet they don't want to leave at home and call it a service animal. I'm not saying THIS lady is doing this. I have no way of knowing (no one does)... but it happens and it really irritates me.

Service dogs for whatever reasons- wheelchair users- who are not really need one- all seen - all experienced- very sad- since it reflects on those who really need a WC or a service dog! Your friend is a doctor- well there you have it- if you want a service dog- you get one. Such things happen. Never forget this guy in his wheelchair- always misserable- always complaining about this and that... ! The first of the ship for an excursion- waiting for his wife going trough desembarking the vessel. His hat flies of- and up he jumps- right out of his wheel chair running behind his head- litteraly - running!

Well I read this post and I think there is a lot of speculation and conjecture about this passenger and her emotional support dog. Did you talk to her? Do you know her? Frankly isn't the ship big enough that you can avoid her? If she is dining same time as you, ask to be relocated to another table at the other side of the dining room, etc.

If this dog attacked you, bite you, was barking non stop in the cabin next to you - OK - I see a reason to complain. But this passenger could legitimately need this dog to cope. I have no clue and I suspect you do not either. Frankly if she feeds her dog from the table I do not see how that affects you at all - she is your table mate? Switch your dining.

I do hope you get to enjoy your cruise and enjoy the Panama Canal. Frankly I've been on cruises where I'd rather see people with dogs versus some unruly children running around or overly drunk adult passengers being rude and loud. But that is just me.

Well I read this post and I think there is a lot of speculation and conjecture about this passenger and her emotional support dog. Did you talk to her? Do you know her? Frankly isn't the ship big enough that you can avoid her? If she is dining same time as you, ask to be relocated to another table at the other side of the dining room, etc.

If this dog attacked you, bite you, was barking non stop in the cabin next to you - OK - I see a reason to complain. But this passenger could legitimately need this dog to cope. I have no clue and I suspect you do not either. Frankly if she feeds her dog from the table I do not see how that affects you at all - she is your table mate? Switch your dining.

I do hope you get to enjoy your cruise and enjoy the Panama Canal. Frankly I've been on cruises where I'd rather see people with dogs versus some unruly children running around or overly drunk adult passengers being rude and loud. But that is just me.

Post Rated: A++++

Thank you and bon voyage

Problem is you have not read some of the previous threads on this woman. The dog also pees on the walls and other undesirable actions. Problem is this is not a service dog and unlike what someone posted about, the cruise line has no obligation to accept support dogs, they do not qualify under the ADA. I stand behind what I said earlier, this woman has some kind of special status with the cruise line and the cruise line does not want to have negative publicity.

Here's a link to the ADA rules, please note there is a section where the dog and handler can be excluded if they are not trained, etc. that is the cruise lines out if they choose to.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Agree that if the dog behaves badly they can be asked to leave but there is no way to exclude the dog prior to the cruise because the behavior hasnt happened yet. Now if this is the same woman and same dog as before and they can document the prior bad behavior that is different. But the dog can be excluded otherwise.

Agree that if the dog behaves badly they can be asked to leave but there is no way to exclude the dog prior to the cruise because the behavior hasnt happened yet. Now if this is the same woman and same dog as before and they can document the prior bad behavior that is different. But the dog can be excluded otherwise.

Absolutely correct, they would have to document the actions and then could deny her on future cruises or even throw them off the ship. That's why I believe there is more to this than we know.

Just curious, in the highly, highly unlikely event of being bitten by one of the faux service dogs, could you claim self defense for you and other passengers and feed it to the sharks without getting into trouble with the officers onboard? :p

Just curious, in the highly, highly unlikely event of being bitten by one of the faux service dogs, could you claim self defense for you and other passengers and feed it to the sharks without getting into trouble with the officers onboard? :p

You'd probably get a standing ovation in the MDR that night.

Just the dog:):)

Here's a link to the ADA rules, please note there is a section where the dog and handler can be excluded if they are not trained, etc. that is the cruise lines out if they choose to.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

This is the problem with Celebrity, they won't kick the dog off even when it is allowed under ADA rules and regulatiions. I would suggest, if someone sees the dog doing his business in an inappropriate place, they complain to guest services and if it continues, simply take a picture and send it to the health department of the first US port you go to.

I don't care if the woman needs the dog for comfort, it is not a service dog, because a service dog is trained not to bark (unless alerting the owner to a medical issue), growl, do business unless commanded to in the proper place, etc.

Instead of bringing onboard a messy, snarling emotional support dog, I prefer to get my emotional support nightly in the Martini Bar.

Already had two AMAZING support sessions there on the current cruise. The third one is scheduled for this evening. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And as I and others have posted on other threads on this subject, some of us are allergic to dog hair/dander. Can't go into best friend apartment or BIL's house because end up with asthma attack. I can deal with a real service dog, but some pet owners do abuse this. BTW, saw case on a TV judge show about the "service" pig. It was let out of its carrier and farted on the owner's seat companion's legs and shoes. After much arguing, both passengers were thrown off plane and were suing each other.

Experienced same situation on Celebrity a few years back. The "support dog" was a small nasty thing and was for the "support " of someone's wife. Trouble was the WIFE never had the dog or was with the damn dog. The husband carried it around and took care of it all over the ship. We have been on many cruises and this was outrageous! The dog crapped right in front of the Martini Bar one night and a friend of ours went ballistic! The man took a napkin and wiped it up! Nothing more. A crew member was sent immediately to sanitize the area and our friend went after the man. This little snip came over and angrily said it was his wife's dog and she needed it for comfort. She was a nurse in Vietnam. Well that did it. Our friend went off on him about my husband, who is a disable vet with PTSD also, and asked the little man where was HIS dog? We actually got a good laugh about that one. Where was the wife? Then it was taken nightly into the dining room. This was the last bit for some people. A large number of passengers complained to guest relations and nothing was accomplished. Not to be gross but in St. Maarten the man was alone, with the dog, and it crapped in his hand!!!! He bent down and the dog did it's business. THIS IS A SERVICE DOG????? Give me a break. At disembarkation they stood with this animal and it was funny to hear so many passengers passing them by and give them rude remarks and looks. Guess the entire ship knew about the "service dog". We were told that this never happens with real trained dogs. They are on every ship. They are given a special area to "do their business" and there are crew who look after this. These people are just cheap or selfish or both. True service dogs are beautiful and trained and a pleasure to watch. They give comfort and are trained. Maybe the owners of those other animals should be trained to leave their pets home. Thanks for listening to my rant but this has become a really bad situation on all cruise lines. The laws are the problem, not the cruise lines.

This spring my wife and I were on a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette and one of the passengers had a so-called support dog. The dog looked like a mangy miniature poodle blend and the owner carried it around everywhere in a baby sack on his belly. The hassle came when our tour group went to the Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg. The man insisted on bringing the damn dog with him. The Hermitage staff said "no dogs" at which point a 45 minute discussion and stand-off ensued between the dog owner, our tour guide and museum staff. By the time the dog owner grudgingly agreed to return to the bus, our tour time had been reduced by a full hour. Talk about 40 angry people!

Please understand I'm not opposed to real service dogs but the situation with so-called support dogs is getting out of control.

Edited by lambcom

Personally, I understand that each of 'us' have our definition of what a service animal is to look like, act like and specific conditions under which they need to be seen and/or heard.

Given there are a myriad of conditions for which these permits are allowed/given, some of us can be, quite deservedly, upset or put off by some of the service animals encountered.

With much fondness, I recollect someone posting on one of the boards here that they had an 'invisible' handicap which warranted their being given special considerations because of this...while it was mentioned what the handicap was, I said to myself, that I would have never thought of that as a handicap, alas they did...

Most of us know some individuals are going to push the envelope on this for whatever reason, I believe it is how we personally handle the situation which makes the difference, rather that be visibly avoiding the situation, speak with the Hotel Manager about unusual/unacceptable behaviours by the animal or its' owner etc...this is subjective as well, behaviour (just like food and entertainment)! LOL

I, for one, vote 'enjoy your sailing' unless they are in the cabin next to yours... change tables in any venues if they are adjacent to you...

bon voyage