Pearl New Orleans

BearPenn2010

There have been threads from time to time. A search on "Orleans" should bring some up.

Bottom line - get in a day or two early. Stay in or near the French Quarter. Enjoy the city.

Book rooms early - they are always tight.

I'm also on that sailing. Did you go to the roll call and sign up for the meet and greet? Also, if you have any particular questions, that would be a good place to ask.

No, I didn't sign up for Roll Call...Sailing with my Sister and Brother in Law...Wife hates Cruising so I am going on my Own...

Sailing out Dec 5, but not much posted here about sailing out of New Orleans...

Many people don't realize it, but there is a "Homeports" section of these boards that has tons of information about the homeports like New Orleans. The particular board you'd search is https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

New Orleans is a great port to sail out of because, well, it's New Orleans. If you've never been, and can arrange it, you should either come a couple of days before your cruise or stay a few days after. Great sightseeing, great food, great music...a real destination in itself, and many people just dash through it on their way to and from the ship.

As for the port itself, it's no better or worse than any other. Routine is the same. Arrive, hand your bags over to the porters with appropriate tags on them (or they will tag them) and a tip. Go inside, through the normal security, fill out your health form, and then find the right line for you to check in.

I've sailed out of the Big Easy several times, most recently aboard the Dawn last April. I stay at the Embassy Suites on Julia and St. Peters St, a 2 block walk to the entrance of the Terminal. That section of town has quite a few great restaurants, with Emeril's and Mulate's just a block away from the hotel. The WWII Museum is about 4 blocks away. Its just a great location. Hope you enjoy the Pearl.;)

I second the Embassy Suites. Stayed there before cruise on Dawn. As said before, just two block walk to port. There's a good Cajun restaurant/bar one block toward the port.

If you have interest in WW II history or had a relative on D-Day (my father-in-law @ Utah Beach) the museum is first class.

I agree with VideoTech: The port of New Orleans is rather straightforward, and a great port to sail from! Once you hand over your luggage to the porters at the terminal entrance, there are lots of things to do within walking distance, rather than fight the crowds to board. The RiverWalk Mall is right in the same building, where you can grab some lunch, or shop for souvenirs. It's New Orleans, which is a wonderful city to visit, regardless of reason!

I found the Hilton Riverside to be especially convenient, as it is housed in the RiverWalk Mall itself, the same building as the cruise terminal. Whatever you do, don't try to drive & park to a cruise at this port. The downtown streets are hard to navigate, with all the foreign sounding street names and one-way directions, and parking is hard to find and not secure. It's best to take a taxi or public transport.

I also agree that the World War II museum is a great spot nearby, though you may want to dedicate at least half a day to it.

I

Whatever you do, don't try to drive & park to a cruise at this port. The downtown streets are hard to navigate, with all the foreign sounding street names and one-way directions, and parking is hard to find and not secure. It's best to take a taxi or public transport.

do you find the cruise/park lots with shuttles not secure? thinking about driving overnight to NOLA and parking and getting straight on the boat. been driving thru NOLA many times, don't need to spend time there

Just got back. We had a great cruise. Loved the Port. Parking was easy and was $20 per day in advance.

We lined up to board the first time, thought the line was too long so went back to the mall which took about 1 minute, bought some sunglasses and had a slushy drink on the deck of the mall while waiting for the line to lear out.. Can't do that in Miami.

johnritt said:

> Just got back. We had a great cruise. Loved the Port. Parking was easy and was $20 per day in advance. We lined up to board the first time, thought the line was too long so went back to the mall which took about 1 minute, bought some sunglasses and had a slushy drink on the deck of the mall while waiting for the line to lear out.. Can't do that in Miami.

That is one thing I love about the New Orleans cruise port!

Regarding Miami, I have heard rumors that Miami has created some kind of outdoor market near the cruise terminal buildings, in an attempt to copy this successful aspect of the New Orleans terminal. Has anyone heard of this? Or know which Miami discussion threads might be best to ask about this?

johnritt said:

> Just got back. We had a great cruise. Loved the Port. Parking was easy and was $20 per day in advance. We lined up to board the first time, thought the line was too long so went back to the mall which took about 1 minute, bought some sunglasses and had a slushy drink on the deck of the mall while waiting for the line to lear out.. Can't do that in Miami.

That is one thing I love about the New Orleans cruise port!

Regarding Miami, I have heard rumors that Miami has created some kind of outdoor market near the cruise terminal buildings, in an attempt to copy this successful aspect of the New Orleans terminal. Has anyone heard of this? Or know which Miami discussion threads might be best to ask about this?

Have seen nothing of the kind at the Miami port. You may be thinking of the Bayside Mall, which is quite near the port, and many cruisers stay in hotels in the area and frequent the Bayside

Have seen nothing of the kind at the Miami port. You may be thinking of the Bayside Mall, which is quite near the port, and many cruisers stay in hotels in the area and frequent the Bayside

There is nothing like that in Miami, that was my point and why I liked New Orleans so much.