Cell phone reception - WiFi in ports

WeRockChalkKU

Curious as to how cell phone coverage is while sailing. How far off shore do you usually sail? At times when I’ve gone on ocean cruises, i’ve been surprised with my ability to still have cell phone coverage despite not actually being in port. I realize I’ve never sailed Norway before and that coverage can vary based on lots of variables.

Additionally, will there be WiFi in ports? We are sailing Kirkenes to Bergen.

Thanks for any information.

If you are sailing Hurtigruten you will In general be Sailing close to the shore. I did have reasonable cell phone coverage most of the time. Do not count on WiFi in ports. For Hurtigruten most stops are short and you will not be allowed to go ashore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are sailing Hurtigruten you will In general be Sailing close to the shore. I did have reasonable cell phone coverage most of the time. Do not count on WiFi in ports. For Hurtigruten most stops are short and you will not be allowed to go ashore.

Yes, sailing Hurtigruten is why I was asking. I wasn’t counting on Wi-Fi in ports but hoping. Previously I think it was you that told me Hurtigruten Wi-Fi costs aren’t that high. I can’t remember how much you said it was. Plus i’ll have my data plan to fall back on if needed. Thanks

Her you have the proces. Standard is Not that expensive - ship is close to the shore and there are 35 Port stops during the voyage from Bergen to a Kirkenes.

Link to port schedule . https://www.hurtigruten.com/practical-information/sailing-plan/

Two Types of Internet Access

• Standard - 1MB/s speed for social media, email and simple web browsing (no video streaming)

• Premium Access – 5 MB/s broadband service with 4 hours of active use included

• One day standard internet 50 NOK

• Three day standard internet 125 NOK

• Five day standard internet 200 NOK

• Eleven day standard internet 400 NOK

Premium internet is also available for 250 NOK for 4 hours active use. These packages will be available for purchase in the reception area.

On a northbound trip we had cell service on the entire route except for 2 relatively short times when the ship crossed large open bodies of water.

When we travel we use KnowRoaming for data. The current price is $5.99 a day for unlimited data.

• 1 year later...

Do not bother with KnowRoaming. We just tried it on a cruise - tried it in 6 different countries in South/Central America - and it worked only once. We spent a huge amount of time being frustrated with it. Saw a lot of spinning circles... Luckily, I had another phone with Google Fi service - otherwise we could not have even contacted their technical support to try to fix it. They had us try something new and different every day and then told us, sorry, no refunds since you opened the package. We used the physical SIM, not the sticker, but it was totally useless and a waste of money - way more hassle than help. Google Fi was flawless - if you have an unlocked phone, they are able to work with more devices now on Beta.