Mamma Mia June 29, 2019

RMS Olympic

anyone else going? Got my cabin booked, purchased my air....now to wait on Star Clippers to-offer a pre cruise hotel in Athens. Very excited to get back on the Flyer. Small ship, small islands and all that cobalt blue water!

Greetings Michael and Peter! I look forward to meeting you onboard. This should be a wonderful cruise....I’m wondering if Star Clipperswill playup the movie during the cruise...such as music or crew entertainment. Regardless I think thissailing will be a lot of fun.

Tom

Hi Tom. I am expecting no less than a full version of Mamma Mia the musical, live and in full. Performed by the wonderful crew. They have a year (!!) to prepare the costumes and the singing...

Just joking. I do not expect anything out of the ordinary. I think the two ports Skiathos and Skopelos will be the only reference to Mamma Mia. If we are lucky, then they manage to get a special excursion together, one that shows where it was filmed. But would not even count on that and I am not disappointed if there is no Mamma Mia special activity at all. I am sure though we can pop in an ABBA Gold CD @ the piano bar, whenever the “ band” is on their break ;)

Either way, I am sure it’s gonna be a great trip !

I totally agree with your thoughts. I am truly excited about seeing these northern Greek Islands, the Portin Turkey I need to research. The ship itself is very much to my liking, so all I need is a glass of wine and I’ll be happy. I purchased my air to Athens, flying in the day before the cruise so now all I have to do is wait on Star Clippers to offer their hotel. What a great trip to look forward to

• 2 months later...

Excited....you bet. Called Star Clipper this morning and confirmed they will offer a one night pre cruise hotel. Pricing not available till January, but it will be the Electra hotel Athens. Transfers will be sold as well so all will be effortless. I looked up the hotel....they have a roof top restaurant with an Acropolis view.......will reserve a table as soon as possible. Anyone want to join me up on the Roof? 🤓🤓🤓

tom

• 3 months later...

Thank you muskatnuss!

I just called Star Clippers and added a night stay at the Electra hotel. The roof top bar and dinning area looks wonderful.

Star. Loppers are handling all transfers so no stress, just get through the flight and then relax.

I wonder if the ship will be full? 

Hope it’s a fun group.

Now to wait impatiently till June🤓

Tom

• 1 month later...

Hi Tom. Hope you are fine and your year started off in good health and spirit. We are looking forward to summer in Greece and humming ABBA songs all day long. I have another cruise booked before on Oasis in early May , going solo on that one. Snatched a suite with no single supplement. Probably a computer glitche at RCCL over here in Germany in February as I didnnot see it in any other market. Booked another one for May 2020 right away on Adventure for May 2020, again solo as my partner cannot accompany me then as well. A grand suite on Adventure with 400 USD OBC for a great price , no supplement again. Something to look forward to too but long way down the road. 12 nights from FLL to NJ repositioning , the  Prices went up since then, single supplement nearly at 100% now again, with all GS sold. I am lucky  Ilooked at cruise at the right moment I guess. 

Star Clipper will be totally different though and I am happy to share it with Peter and possibly new friends like you. Anticipation is wonderful! We have a pre night hotel booked too individually ,staying at 18 Micon Street! A boutique hotel. 

Have a wonderful Spring. Talks again soon

All the best Michael ( and Peter ) 

Hi Mike! Spring has arrived and with it the rabbits! The dog is going crazy🤪

This cruise is all paid for so now it’s just awaiting game. My November cruise plans just changed and today I  booked a cruise on Holland America’s Nieuw Statendam for a 7 night voyage. After that it’s next March on Princess...the Sky. After that it’s Holland America in November 2020. I see a pattern forming🤪

i look forward to meeting you both on the Flyer.....and a sailaway toast.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Hi, Just returned from this itinerary. Had a great time. I have a few comments that may help future cruisers. There was an Abba night where passengers were invited to dress in Abba costumes, not many people knew about this in advance, likewise a white dress night.

Some passengers were disappointed with Dikili. It's a small port with little to do and quite a poor area. We did the ships tour which I would highly recommend. I didn't see any taxi options at the port.

Sign up for any excursions early. The trip around Skopelos was very oversubscribed. However, they did arrange another bus for the afternoon too and I suspect they will do the same again. Well worth the climb up to St Johns church. Amazing beautiful island. 

Taxies were readily available in Poros, a nice port with shopping and plenty of tavernas.

We did the tour in Limnos. Was interesting but the museum was closed when we were there.

Water sports were available in 2-3 ports from the ship.

Hope the above help. Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank‘ s a lot for the useful information ! Sounds like you had a good time. Appreciate all your comments and will def try to book the excursions first thing we get on board. Did you enjoy the ship, crew and fellow passengers ? 

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings to all. I hope everyone is looking forward to this voyage...I know I am.

its Wed afternoon... suitcase ready to go, probably over packed but at least I limited it to just one this time.

Dog saw the suitcase and immediately reacted.....hid in the bedroom. I don’t know who has more separation anxiety...me or her 😔

looking forward to wonderful sailing weather, great conversation, nice dining, and getting to learn about fellow passengers.

Finally something extra special on Star Clipper vessels, after dinner beverages under the stars... something less special on big ships.

To everyone...safe travels to Athens!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tom,

hope you had a relaxing trip home. At least one of the IC flights to the US got canceled , hope you were not affected. Never got the chance to say goodbye. It was a pleasure meeting you. I hope you enjoyed the cruise as much as we did.

Hopefully we will meet again one day

Alle the best 

Michael and Peter 

Greetings Mike. 

Thank you for making the cruise wonderful. Both you and Peter were very kind in sharing your time with me...thank you.

The flight back was a mess once we landed in Newark. The United flights departing Newark were all being cancelled or delayed. My connecting flight to Tampa was delayed 4 hours...

United said flights were stopped because of the bad thunderstorm...yet Sky was blue, no rain and every other airline was operating with no problem including Lufthansa😎😎

Finally got into the house at 3am...tired but safe.

perhaps we can meet on board anothership in the near future.

I wish you both all the best.

Tom