Hurtigruten Fram, NW Passage August (and Aug/Sept) 2019

GeezerCouple

We got an email from Hurtigruten about two offerings (Eastbound and Westbound) sailing the NW Passage.

But it isn't the full passage. At about midway "through", it seems they fly you to (or from) Edmonton.

But it's also only 14-15 days, which made it more appealing for scheduling.

However... the PRICES!

We know Hurtigruten can be pricey, but still... well into the 5 digits pp, even the small inside cabins, and at the top end, $60k for two... for two weeks!?

Have they done this itinerary before?

Did they really sell at these prices?

Any info would be appreciated.

GC

I know nothing about Hurtigruten's offerings on this route -- but other lines also ply these particular sea lanes, and for far less money. And, I must say, in more - relatively speaking - luxurious circumstances. Just Google "Cruise Lines Northwest Passage," or some variation thereof.

I know nothing about Hurtigruten's offerings on this route -- but other lines also ply these particular sea lanes, and for far less money. And, I must say, in more - relatively speaking - luxurious circumstances. Just Google "Cruise Lines Northwest Passage," or some variation thereof.

Thanks.

Yes, we know someone who went on one of the longer NW Passage cruises on one of the luxury lines.

The price may have been similar, but the cruise was something like twice as long, and it was a true luxury ship, with lots of services (and a lot more space in the cabins and suites).

Very odd.

That's what I'm trying to figure out...

???

GC

It's new to Hurtigruten and I know someone who is booked on it. I will try to find out more from him.

Looking at the trips on Hurtigruten's website, it appears that this years trips are not complete traverses but their new Roald Amundsen does the complete Passage in 2019.

It's new to Hurtigruten and I know someone who is booked on it. I will try to find out more from him.

Looking at the trips on Hurtigruten's website, it appears that this years trips are not complete traverses but their new Roald Amundsen does the complete Passage in 2019.

I totally missed this listing earlier. Duh!

It's now almost sold out; no online info is available about which cabins are available.

Has the Roald Amundsen actually been sailing yet? It would be great to read some first-hand reports.

It's an interesting ship, to put it mildly.

But I admit that we really liked what we felt was a "Hurtigruten" feel, *not* like other cruise ships. I wonder if these new ones will lose some of that. Of course, our experience is based upon all of *one* Coastal RT cruise on the Trollfjord.

We really had such an amazing time!

GC

It's now almost sold out; no online info is available about which cabins are available.

Has the Roald Amundsen actually been sailing yet? It would be great to read some first-hand reports.

It's an interesting ship, to put it mildly.

Roald Amundsen, was originally due to launch in July 2018 but has been put back to May 2019.

The Northwest passage cruising 20. August 2019 is sold out by now at hurtigruten.no

Roald Amundsen, was originally due to launch in July 2018 but has been put back to May 2019.

The Northwest passage cruising 20. August 2019 is sold out by now at hurtigruten.no

Well, I guess that answers ONE question:

They CAN charge those prices!

Yikes.

GC

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, the 2018 North West Passage Cruise by Fram didn't happen, because the passage was blocked by ice.  Hurtigruten had to arrange an alternate itinerary.

See Hurtigruten thread - "Anyone going on the Sept 10, 2018 Eastbound North West Passage?" 

Edited by MMDown Under

• 4 weeks later...

Hurtigruten's attempt to traverse the NWP (the first time that the company has tried) with Fram in 2018 failed because the passage was blocked by ice.  Hurtigruten must have known of the need to make a "major schedule change"  before the second (eastbound) passengers left the UK, and either knew or reasonably should have known that the passage was impassable before the first (westbound) group left home.  Canadian ice forecasts are freely available and archived.  Other ships ran into difficulties and failed to get through the week before Fram.  This information is also freely available. The situation was ironically summarised by the Norwegian Captain of the Fram who said, “I appreciate that you have paid for a Rolls Royce and received a Lada.”  

Complaints to Hurtigruten both while on board and subsequently have resulted in obfuscation, delay, refusal to meet face-to-face and the offer of derisory compensation not in line with Hurtigruten's own T&Cs.  The matter is now the subject of legal action in the UK, France, Germany and North America. 

Shockingly, having failed to deliver during 2018, Hurtigruten is currently advertising the same, two, mirror image cruises, on the Fram, for August/September 2019, and have “sold out” a new itinerary for a cruise on the MV Roald Amundsen between Alaska and Greenland during the summer of 2019. 

Passengers who have booked berths on these cruises should beware of the likely deceit, ensure that at least part of their payment is made by credit card, and ensure that they have legal cover as part of their travel insurance.  They should be fully aware that no cruise ship has managed to traverse the Northwest Passage without being accompanied by an icebreaker. Neither the Fram nor the Roald Amundsen are icebreakers, whatever the glowing and (to the uninitiated) misleading words used to describe their capabilities in Hurtigruten’s brochures (don't believe me - just look up the actual meaning of their stated ice classifications on Wikipedia!).  

There are many companies other than Hurtigruten which run “expedition cruises”.

• 2 months later...

I booked passage on the 2020 Alaska to Halifax SS Roald Amundsen cruise befor I knew that the Fram cruise last year couldn’t be completed. As soo as I saw the scathing reviews I contacted my Hurtigruten sales rep and requested a refund of my hefty down payment. I was told that was not possible. My next payment is due in May 2020. I will be watching with great interest to see if the 2019 NW Passage trip makes it all the way through. As well, if it does make it this year , I need a female roommate  for 2020. Please contact me squacken@gmail.com.

i am a repeat customer so you would receive a 5% discount. 

Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 1