What do you do for breakfast the morning of leaving home?

This thread was inspired in part by the "What do you do for dinner the first night back home?" thread, which got plenty of answers. Now, let's look at the other side of the equation: breakfast before leaving for your cruise. By that, I mean the day you travel to the embarkation city, not the day you embark (first cruise day). Although if you live in the embarkation city, those will be one and the same.

I'll start with mine. I want something I can cook and eat in under 20 minutes, with minimum effort and no stove (I'd be paranoid about forgetting to turn it off). For my past cruises, I pre-made a breakfast sandwich the night before, and left it in the fridge. So in the morning, all I needed to do is microwave the sandwich and make the coffee. I know microwaved eggs taste rubbery; but taste isn't really a priority at that point.

My second breakfast (a small meal, common in Europe) consisted of pretzels and a beer on the plane. :D

This thread was inspired in part by the "What do you do for dinner the first night back home?" thread, which got plenty of answers. Now, let's look at the other side of the equation: breakfast before leaving for your cruise. By that, I mean the day you travel to the embarkation city, not the day you embark (first cruise day). Although if you live in the embarkation city, those will be one and the same.

I'll start with mine. I want something I can cook and eat in under 20 minutes, with minimum effort and no stove (I'd be paranoid about forgetting to turn it off). For my past cruises, I pre-made a breakfast sandwich the night before, and left it in the fridge. So in the morning, all I needed to do is microwave the sandwich and make the coffee. I know microwaved eggs taste rubbery; but taste isn't really a priority at that point.

My second breakfast (a small meal, common in Europe) consisted of pretzels and a beer on the plane. :D

I eat the same breakfast that I eat every day.

• 3 weeks later...
We always stay in a hotel next to port so we usually find a local diner.
That's breakfast on embarkation day. This thread is directed at people who fly or drive to the cruise port, oftentimes the day before. In other words, what do you eat for breakfast before flying or driving to that hotel?

• 3 weeks later...

All my sailings but one have been within 'day of' driving and since I normally work overnights I don't do breakfast but an early lunch... So we tend to hit Del Taco before heading to the port. Although we might stop at a nice gas station for snacks and drinks too, like Wawa or RaceTrac. For my one "away" sailing, we had a hotel with two different included breakfast locations, so we just ate at the hotel before taking the metro to the port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We usually hit the airport on the way out for food....split between McDonalds and a bagel place. We are from CO so we fly in at least a day early. My wife always books places with complimentary breakfast, so we hit that before we head to the pier!

• 2 months later...

We grab something from the gas station after we've been in the car a while. The airport we fly out of is about 3 hours from our house, so we usually stop about 1/2 way there. And we usually have to leave our house around 5 am to catch any sort of flight 😞

It varies. We usually drive to port the day prior, so breakfast at home, or grab something at a fast food joint, and eat while we drive.

the morning we cruise either

Skip breakfast, knowing we will be eating well for the duration of the cruise

or

breakfast at the Hotel

or

a local cafe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We don't eat breakfast on embarkation day.

It is about a one-hour drive to the port.  Since my attitude regarding cruising is to not do anything that somebody else can do for me, we always engage a driver to take us to the port and ask for a 10:30 am pick-up.  We find that we have enough last minute preparations that our driver is parked out front sooner than we realize.  We are on board the ship in plenty of time to enjoy a light lunch.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 3:39 PM, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

My second breakfast (a small meal, common in Europe) consisted of pretzels and a beer on the plane. 😄

We are always on the road to Chicago Midway or OHare around 2am to catch a 7-730am flight. I’ll make a cup of coffee for the drive. Then once we are checked in and at the gate, we will grab a bite to eat. 

• 9 months later...

A Plain Bagel, Cream Cheese, Smoke Salmon and slice of Onion.

If I have that around 8-9 AM the morning of the cruise ( we are only 12 minutes away from terminal in Brooklyn ), it will hold me fine for lunch on board around 1230 - 1 PM with no problem.