Verizon

T.Swift

I see a lot of AT&T and T Mobile users. How does Verizon fare in the Riviera?
Kinda open ended question. All phones connect to local Mexican towers so "coverage" is the same for Verizon customers. The individual phone model you have may not work but that is not carrier dependent. (My Verizon Samsung Galaxy works great world-wide, my wife's Verizon Samsung Core Prime is very limited outside the US.)

The cost for talk, text and data is plan dependent. Verizon sells roaming access in 30-day service periods (reduced cost per call or text and block of data) or 24-hour service blocks (extended use for a flat fee when used). Don't expect 4G with any carrier. Don't expect streaming services to be available (I couldn't stream Netflix or Hulu in Mexico via phone or Wi-Fi).

That said, Verizon is no better or worse than other carriers for basic talk/text/data as all US carriers use the same Mexican equipment for their customers.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Kinda open ended question. All phones connect to local Mexican towers so "coverage" is the same for Verizon customers. The individual phone model you have may not work but that is not carrier dependent. (My Verizon Samsung Galaxy works great world-wide, my wife's Verizon Samsung Core Prime is very limited outside the US.)

The cost for talk, text and data is plan dependent. Verizon sells roaming access in 30-day service periods (reduced cost per call or text and block of data) or 24-hour service blocks (extended use for a flat fee when used). Don't expect 4G with any carrier. Don't expect streaming services to be available (I couldn't stream Netflix or Hulu in Mexico via phone or Wi-Fi).

That said, Verizon is no better or worse than other carriers for basic talk/text/data as all US carriers use the same Mexican equipment for their customers.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

A lot of the issues with Verizon go back with the choices the made in their network technology versus other carriers. This is fading, but it still impacts Verizon phones in international markets outside of the US and Canada more than other carriers.

Also, some of the restrictions regarding services availability is based on licensing. Some streaming services are just not available in Mexico. For example, my Pandora account doesn't work when I try to connect from Mexico regardless if I am connecting via a cell or wifi connection.

We use Verizon's 'TravelPass' option on our Samsung Galaxies when in Mexico and have had good results with it. It's (currently) only $5/day, and is only charged when/if you use your phone in Mexico. Highlights of the program:

TravelPass:

• Pay a flat rate for a 24-hour session rather than per minute, message or MB
  • Daily charge only applies on days you use your service outside of the US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands
  • Daily rate is $5/day in Mexico and Canada* and $10/day in other TravelPass countries
  • Use your minutes, messages and data allowances from your domestic plan
  • High speed data applies for the first 512 MB/day with 2G reduced speeds thereafter