Sony HX400v in Alaska — novice questions

I bought the Sony HX400v a couple of years ago for our trip to Alaska which is finally here. I’ve taken it on shorter trips to Branson and San Diego as well as locally, and I love the pictures it takes.

Question: will I need a rain cover? Best cheap option?

Question: Best options for printing pics upon return? Tried to print pics last year after San Diego trip (wanted to upload them to Walgreens’ website, but site said photos were not compatible :(). I think it was something to do with jpeg vs jpg ... is there a difference? Can I reformat? What’s best site to get pics printed and in my hands quickly?

Thanks!

Jamie

Easiest cheap option for a rain cover is a plastic bag with a hole cut for the lens. I will say that I have never found the need for one in AK. If it is raining that hard visibility is usually really poor.

As far as the printing issue, I don't know the format that Sony saves images in, check your settings, but jpg v jpeg should not make a difference. A native Sony file type will possibly make a difference. You can always open and resave your photos on a different file type, though you make lose some sharpness when you do that.

Question: will I need a rain cover? Best cheap option?

You probably won't. My recommended cheap option is to get the person you're traveling with to hold an umbrella for you (since you said you're traveling with someone).

This solution also works as a cheap, effective lens hood if you're taking photos in bright sunlight.

Question: [...] Tried to print pics last year after San Diego trip (wanted to upload them to Walgreens’ website, but site said photos were not compatible :(). I think it was something to do with jpeg vs jpg ... is there a difference?

I suspect that it was a temporary problem with the Walgreens' website. Your camera only records .jpeg, and that's one of the formats Walgreens explicitly takes.

Thanks for the quick replies. I won’t worry about the rain cover then, so goody for me...one thing less to do.

I appreciate the feedback. I hope you are right about the website being the problem. I was pretty ticked, because my file said jpeg and the website said they printed that type, but I couldn’t get it to take the upload. I was bummed; I had used their site in the past, and it was never a problem.

Thanks for the quick replies. I won’t worry about the rain cover then, so goody for me...one thing less to do.

I appreciate the feedback. I hope you are right about the website being the problem. I was pretty ticked, because my file said jpeg and the website said they printed that type, but I couldn’t get it to take the upload. I was bummed; I had used their site in the past, and it was never a problem.

Put the images and go to CVS, Wally World (Walmart), Walgreen or most any local drug store. Then if you want to enlarge any of your photos, simply crop in the size you want and use any of a dozen quality online photo printing services.

I print at home on my Cannon PIXMA 100, usually 8X10, my better pictures before investing in higher quality services. That printer gets really good results for the most part and prints up to 11X17.

Just my $.02

Easiest cheap option for a rain cover is a plastic bag with a hole cut for the lens. I will say that I have never found the need for one in AK. If it is raining that hard visibility is usually really poor.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Plastic bag works as a dust cover as well. Just use painter's tape at the very edge of your lens. A clear produce bag from the supermarket works well and is easy to pack.

• 3 weeks later...

I use ziplocks for rain covers. You can cut a small hole to poke your neckstrap/wriststrap through and keep it zipped up until you need to use it. Then poke the lens out through the zipper part. As someone said above, it's either raining so hard there's nothing to see or it drizzles/stops, etc and you can sneak in your shots. A shower cap was also suggested to me (in a pinch, though your hotel usually has them), but I like the ziplock better.

Do you still have the pictures on your memory card? You could try taking it in to Walgreens or others suggested. If it is a Sony memory stick rather than an sd card, that may be a problem for the stores too, but it shouldn't have affected online photos.