How does P&O compare with Cunard, please?

kevankiki

I've not been on this forum for 6 years. We always sailed with Cunard so we are fairly familiar with most of their ships.

We would like to take another cruise but I would really like to visit La Rochelle in France. Cunard doesn't seem to be traveling there anytime soon but there is a cruise with P&O in October on the Ventura which includes this port.

I have Multiple Sclerosis so I am wondering how accessible the Ventura is? Also, will there be a shuttle that takes you into town, ISTR that Cunard was very good at offering this service?

Any advice would be very welcome indeed :):):):):):)

Went there a couple of years ago on Britannia. The ships dock a little way out, but there was good shuttle service. It's free if you're on a Select fare as far as I know.

P & O always seem to cater very well for their less mobile passengers.

The two likes are more similar than different. Cunard is a slight step up in terms of service and overall “niceness”, but in terms of what matters you’ll find decent food, a nice cabin and largely ok service.

P&O is significantly cheaper for onboard purchases (especially bar drinks).

Many people have something against Ventura, but i think it’s a fine enough ship. Although it’s significantly bigger than Elizabeth/Victoria if you are select about where you go you can often find quiet public areas or deck space to relax.

The ship is moderns so there is decent level access everywhere or a suitable alternative route with lots of lifts (4 aft, 4 fwd, 6 mid) and power assisted doors in many locations to access the deck.

If you are a regular Cunard person there’s nothing that should stop you from booking p&o.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

IMO honest opinion, P&O has slipped into budget brand offering. Still good enough for me but I would manage my expectations and not overpay.

QM2 had much better amenities. Nice lounges for relaxation during the day, felt less crowded, great attractions like cinema/planetarium, amazing spa and a great library.

Ventura has a more basic cruise ship feel but it has many positives : nice top deck area, a good gym, great range of speciality restaurant venues, good selection of wine which is available by the glass and reasonably priced, the buffet on Ventura is far superior to one on QM2, good on board entertainment and you are not forced to wear a jacket in the evening.

If you book one of the deluxe balcony cabins they are a really nice size and very comfortable.

Not sure about how you get around but be aware that P&O have a strict policy about which cabins can accommodate a powered scooter. You are okay in an adapted cabin or some but not all suites. Any other grade they are not allowed. Not sure if this affects you but I thought I would mention it.

I have limited mobility and find Ventura very accessible. I do use a powered wheelchair / scooter on board due to the distance involved in going from one venue to another. That way I can save my energies for all the fun stuff!

Have to add that from what we've seen of P&O they are incredibly helpful when it comes to supporting any passengers with disabilities. I am sure that they will look after your specific needs.

Ventura also has a nice prom. deck and we saw a number of people on there with wheelchairs and electric scooters mid August.

La Rochelle is wonderful too :-)

Have a great time :-)

I have a couple of questions

Do you have to pay for food taken in your cabin?

Can you have washing / ironing / dry cleaning done on board?

If so, what are the costs?

P&O now charge for virtually all room service items except breakfast. (I have never seen anything to say that you can’t take food from the buffet to your room but it’s not something I have done personally. P&O have a grab and go section for sandwiches and salad etc if that is what you would like).

The room service costs are not high at just a few pounds per item but they would start to mount up if you used it regularly.

Yes there is a laundry service, sorry I don’t know the costs. There are also self service laundry rooms if you want to DIY.

Room service is charged. The exception being continental breakfast which is complimentary. Plus all room service is free if you are staying in a suite.

Yes there is a laundry service but I am not sure of the prices. We tend to use the on board self service launderettes. They have washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards which are all free to use, you just provide the laundry detergent.

Thanks, both. One of my enjoyments when cruising is to take on a bag of freshly washed shirts and put them in for ironing when we board, they come back professionally ironed. It worked out pretty cheap with Cunard due to the $/£ conversion which was fantastic at the time.

Good news about the continental breakfast as that's what I had in mind. I don't think we'll be in a suite unless we get a decent visit from the Upgrade Fairy :)