Book as Solo....then add a roommate....??

Rowsby

How does it work.....if you book a cruise as a solo....paying the solo supplement.....can you add a roommate later....??

Would you be reimbursed the supplement (double) amount....and the roommate pay the same fee....or would it be whatever the cost of booking would be at the time....and is it even possible.......??

Thanks....:)

I did this once years ago I was charged the extra port fees I collected the money from my new roommate it was after finial payment so I had paid in full. She did put her credit card on file so her on board account went to her CC.

I've done it three times over the last year and a half. The booking number doesn't change. In my case the single supplement was less than 200%. The price was changed to the double rate per person. I've done it after final payment and prior to final payment. After final payment my roommate had to pay the difference between the single supplement cost and the full double cost. Whatever else they paid was between me and them. Before final payment the booking just changes to a double booking with each of you paying the pp rate.

I've done it three times over the last year and a half. The booking number doesn't change. In my case the single supplement was less than 200%. The price was changed to the double rate per person. I've done it after final payment and prior to final payment. After final payment my roommate had to pay the difference between the single supplement cost and the full double cost. Whatever else they paid was between me and them. Before final payment the booking just changes to a double booking with each of you paying the pp rate.

Ah....perfect....!!

How does it work.....if you book a cruise as a solo....paying the solo supplement.....can you add a roommate later....??

Would you be reimbursed the supplement (double) amount....and the roommate pay the same fee....or would it be whatever the cost of booking would be at the time....and is it even possible.......??

I added my daughter to my cruise cabin last fall, & since I had already paid double the base price, I only had to add the tax/port fee portion for her. And, of course to revise the check-in information. I should add that the cruise was on RCCL - can't imagine that HAL would be much different.

It's easy to do. I always book directly with HAL- just make a call, they will add the new person to the booking and they can fill out the personal info on line themselves. I'm about to do just this for a sailing I booked for Oct. I'm not sure which of my friends will be joining me and which will get their own cabin. Once we figure that out, I'll call and make the add.

I have heard of people being unable to add a 3rd/4th passenger to a booking because the muster station was at capacity. Would the OP run the risk of the same thing, or is it not relevant when adding just one pax to a solo booking?

I never had a problem. My booking number always stayed the same-the person is added to my booking-they don't get their own. As an added bonus (well, so far for them), I am a 4 star, and they get that (they were always less than that.) Whoever is the highest star Mariner-the other person gets that benefit. On the downside, if you each own Carnival stock, you can either split it or one person gets it all.