Luggage directly to ship

jonyboy

We are doing a denali trip then cruise. Arrive Anchorage Thursday, train to Denali Friday, bus to Seward and Westerdam Sunday. I understand at some point if we desire HAL will take one suitcase directly to ship. When does this happen? At airport in Anchorage? Prior to train to Denali?

It has been a while since I did my Alaska cruise, but I believe the direct luggage was from the beginning of the trip. I seem to remember us getting something right at the airport or it might have been at the hotel. But the envelope contained all the information and tags. Being there was three of us we had three suitcases, so I had packed all the clothes that we would only use on the ship in one suitcase and everything else in the other two. I am sure if you go on the HAL website there is a "What to pack" site that can tell you a little more.

We did a cruise tour in 2013, two weeks! on land before boarding the ship. We flew from Vancouver to White Horse, traveled through the Yukon into Alaska, three days in Denali before taking the train to Anchorage, then Seward to board the Statendam.

As I recall, most people had all of their luggage with them the entire trip, as did we, but we did have an unopened suitcase for ship-only wear. As Kazu said, we were given detailed instructions about when & where to leave our luggage for pickup. We had no problems with that process. It was great to get off the train in Seward and walk the short distance to the ship with only some carry-on luggage.

Our C-T started in Fairbanks. IIRC we had up until midnight of the first hotel night to take bags that we wanted sent ahead to the ship to a collection area. If you are spending your first night in an Anchorage hotel I believe it will be the same for you.

Edited by catl331

Somewhere I read about sending luggage directly to ship, but I guess I've read too much as I cannot recall the details or where I'd seen it originally
Yes, from the first hotel. We didn't know in advance that we could do this, so we rearranged our baggage the first evening.