Chicken & Waffles on Caribbean Princess

arctickitty

There have been a couple threads here on the Cruise Critic Princess forum about a new Dining Room menu. It did include Chicken and Waffles one night. These threads were both reporting from the Ruby Princess, but it is entirely possible that it is being offered on other ships. Also, I would imagine that it could be offered in the buffet.

It can be good to a bizarre person like me who likes all her foods mixed together. I went through a phase where I would order it when traveling. There are people who are absolutely nuts about it and track it down everywhere they go. I'm not that far, it just piqued my interest in the article, and I was wondering if it is true that it is available, if it is hype, or if it is one of those things like the crepes on the Royal that are available only on X day of the week for a 2 hour window or something nutty like that.

This article mentioned that chicken & waffles is available on the buffet at dinner. Has anyone seen this? Had it? Was it any good? Is there a rhyme or reason to when it appears?

https://www.porthole.com/caribbean-princess-gets-unprecedented-seven-new-dining-options/

Yes. Chicken and Waffles is pretty good.

Order the Chicken Fried Steak with white country gravy. Ask for a side of grits and collard greens. The best I’ve ever had at sea.

Enjoy your cruise.

King

THis is definitely an ethnic thing. Some say it originated in Harlem. Others say even before that it was a meal served by the slaves (hence the idea it started in the south. We'll never really know). Roscoe's chicken and waffles in LA and Pasadena is famous and perhaps the pinnacle of CHicken and waffles and really popular and President Obama eats there. And it's GOOD.

REAL chicken and waffles is a piece or 2 of fried chicken (not crappy chicken strips) usually a couple of drumsticks. Odd combo but it actually works. Maybe ask for it as a "shared entree" and try it. I love it and trust me you can't get real chicken and waffles in DFW. Torchy's tacos (or is it Fuzzys) had their own FAUX version and it's crap if you've had the real deal. Kind of don't knock it 'til you've tried it and if you don't like it then ... fair enough.

There was no sign of it on the May 19th sailing. I would have tried it...Have always wanted to.

Get some fresh fried chicken at your local grocery store(Publix and King Soopers is very good); take home; buy your favorite waffle mix. Make waffles at home. There you go. Your own waffles and chicken!! Don't forget your favorite syrup!

Pooh

• 1 month later...

Hi folks! I found it! On a recent 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess, we spotted the chicken and waffles on the dinner buffet on the first night. They change around the titles of some of the areas and this night one corner was featuring breakfast foods. There was a basket of fried chicken and a basket of pieces of American-style-Belgium waffles. I did not try it as I'd already had dinner in the MDR but my husband and I were just walking around looking things over. If anyone wants to see pictures, let me know.

I saw it reported on Ruby. The reviews were not favorable. It sounds bizarre to me.

My friend Thrak,

I wonder if it’s good as what we had for lunch in the army? I think it was called something on a shingle. :o

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

SOS... similar to C&W's. :rolleyes: :D :o

Ah yes, chipped beef on toast. I actually like(ed) it. My sister-in-law made a version of it with Phyllo pastry cup and a delicate white wine sauce. I was told that I was not to use the SOS term. Its corollary here is sausage gravy on a biscuit, or sausage biscuit, which I also love. Do not mistake the Princess breakfast offering as a legitimate version.

I grew up with the Pennsylvania version of Chicken and Waffles - more like a chicken pot pie filling served on waffles. They serve it this way in some restaurants in the mid-state Amish country. On rare occasions my Dad would decide to cook and this was one of his specialties, so it brings back fond memories.

I think the OP is referring to the MarketPlace on the CB, which has/had a "Breakfast at Dinner" station every evening.....And yes they widely advertised Chicken and Waffles, but like all Princess buffet's by the 3rd night the C&W's morfed into left-overs & waffles, no more chicken but ridiculous thinks like smoke salmon & waffles, cream spinach & waffles and so help me god, one night Pepperoni & waffles...

Must have sounded good on paper in Santa Clarita, but onboard, not so much

Srpilo

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am_H1HVQKVNvgowqJAFp14RkNUdALw

I just went and found the photo, take note of the maple syrup in the bottom .... cheesy waffles and peperoni and maple syrup ...Yum !

Edited by srpilo