Your Favorite HAL Insider Tip

livetheatre

Sailing on our first HAL cruise (Eurodam to Alaska in July) and wondering what your favorite HAL cruise tip is. From on-boarding to dining to cabin tips...what makes you puff out your chest and say “that was good” when you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When embarking a HAL ship for the first time, there will be a gaggle of your fellow passengers waiting for the elevators.

One of the white-gloved greeters will point you to the elevator bank with the others but just smile, make a sharp right turn, and take the single elevator that is hardly ever noticed and never used for luggage.

I really don't have "insider" tips. But I do know if you don't like anything on the menu, the waiters will make you a plate of things you do like made up from parts of all the dishes on the menu. One night my brother could not find anything he wanted, but he liked the vegetable sides from several of the dishes, so the waiter arranged for him to have a plate made up of all the vegetable & potato side dishes.

Also, tip, if you are not really hungry and just want French Onion Soup and a Plain Baked Potato for dinner, every waiter, section manager, and the dining room manager will stop by your table to make sure you have everything you ordered and that nothing was missing. I have never had as many people checking on me in the Dining Room as the night what I really wanted for dinner was just a bowl of French Onion Soup and a Plain Baked Potato.

I have two to share:

First, the fact that you can order from the main dining room menu for room service dinner. Sometimes this really comes in handy!

Second, if you receive a gift bottle of "champagne" in your cabin at embarkation (from your TA or HAL) you can normally exchange it for a bottle of house wine, or on some ships, soda or water or something else.

We can bring on a bottle of wine for each of us when boarding as well as a reasonable amount of soda (in cans, not bottles), and you can bring more soda on later in the cruise.

Self disembarkation if you made your own travel arrangements.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A very individual thing - but we love the Lanai Cabins on the older HAL ships. For a price just a bit higher than an OV, and often much much less than a traditional balcony, one has the largest balcony space in the world, extending completely around the ship! Comes standard with amazing views, reserved deck chairs, and superb people watching. There are drawbacks. If you are introverted you may not appreciate the passers-by, and squatters have been known to ignore the reserved signs on your chairs.

Get to really know your servers (both bar and dining room). They are people who care and will help you with many things.

Regarding the On Board Credit: owning 100 shares of Carnival Corporation stock will get you OBC based on the length of the cruise. You have to submit your proof of ownership prior to each cruise. That is good on all of the cruise lines under the Carnival Corp umbrella. Look it up.

Jim

Chilled soups in the MDR every night and yummy!

Sorry to learn on a very recent Zaandam cruise that these popular items have been eliminated. They often did substitute for a refreshing dessert. Be sure to let them know on your post-cruise evaluation that you would like to see them put back on the menu.

Related to embarkation: know specifically the location of your stateroom by studying carefully the deck plan of your ship. If you stateroom is closer to the forward or aft elevators (assuming there are 3 elevator/stairway banks), once aboard, avoid the crush of guests using the mid-ship stairs/elevators and turn down the corridor to the elevators that will take you closer to your stateroom. Even if some elevators are being used for luggage service, there will always be one or two available for guest usage. This will provide a much more pleasant and less chaotic welcome to your cruise.

There is a huge drawer under the foot of each bed. It holds a great deal. Sometimes the room attendant will store another sheet set in one but it can be removed if you need the drawer space. We do not like bath wash and always bring our own bar soap.

There is a huge drawer under the foot of each bed. It holds a great deal. Sometimes the room attendant will store another sheet set in one but it can be removed if you need the drawer space. We do not like bath wash and always bring our own bar soap.

There should be a bar soap provided for the lavatory. Another bar can be supplied by your Cabin Steward if you want it.

Having a drink/then dinner in Tamarind the first night. Quiet respite from the other venues.

I am sure it differs from ship to ship but is a first night discount typical there?

Pinnacle Grill for lunch at $15 is fabulous, even better with 25% or 50% discount being a 3-5 star mariner.

Pinnacle Grill lunch was $10 on our recent cruise (May 5 - June 2nd, 2018).

I am sure it differs from ship to ship but is a first night discount typical there?

Not that I have experienced.