I needed the Dr on the ship this week...

Glad to hear everything went ok.

Out of curiosity, if you had travel insurance, would that have covered the $167? I've never bought travel insurance so I don't know the ins and outs.

A few weeks ago on the Oasis, my granddaughter (17 months) started running a fever. She's OK. But, we had two visits, medication and the use of an electronic thermometer for the balance of the cruise for $215. We purchase travel insurance on a yearly basis which covers everyone in the house and it was covered 100%. In fact, they paid within three days!

Hi Cruisers: Our friends whom we were sailing with had to go to ships doctor. Was seasick and gave her medication she became allergic too and had to give her a IV. Had Royal insurance and covered all cost. Bob

I’ve used the ship doctor twice; once for a UTI and once for severely swollen feet. Both visits were great; no wait and quickly handled. I always purchase travel insurance and after submitting my paperwork, I was reimbursed within a few weeks. I did have to pay at time of service; first charge was around $350 for exam, lab, and meds and second around $250 for exams and follow ups and meds.

Very satisfied.

Glad the OP is OK.

When my wife had to be treated on Brilliance a few years ago, our travel insurance covered 100% of the total ~$800 bill (exam, follow-up, some basic tests, and medication). We actually came out better off than had we been at home--no copay, no deductible. We were very impressed with both doctors and nurses (we saw the entire staff over two days).

<snip>

I have asthma but haven’t used my rescue inhaler in so long I’m sure it needs dusted. It truly slipped my mind as something I should have put on the list. So it’s sitting at home. IT’S SITTING AT HOME.

<Snip>

With my new inhaler tucked into my purse.

As a former EMT (probably 20 years ago) I wanted to comment on this. If I was a call and saw your inhaler I would probably have refused to use it. One of the first things we are taught about trouble breathing is if the patient has an inhaler to use it after checking the expiration date. My recollection is that if it was expired we could not use it and would need to delay treatment for a medical consultation before using one of ours.

Please add an expiration date check to your pre-cruise routine.

May you continue to cruise and throw away many expired inhalers before needing to use one again.

Roy

We always get the insurance offered by Royal Caribbean and that has covered our visits to the doctor onboard. I manage to have weird things happen to me on vacation :)

On the Radiance we participated in an activity with all kinds of things your team had to do to win, one of which being building a human pyramid. I stupidly took part of it despite having not the greatest back and being with a very small build. A woman three times my size was on me with her leg right on the middle of my back and I was just in the worst pain afterwards...and feeling so stupid for doing it to myself. Went to the doctor the next day because the pain was just getting worse. The x-rayed me, found everything was fine, and gave me 800 mg ibuprofen to take. We weren’t charged. And I don’t let my competitiveness push me to do stupid things anymore :)

On the Allure we went swimming with sea turtles in St. Thomas and one of the turtles clamped onto my finger and would not let go until the guide finally managed to force her to open her mouth (I told you, really weird things...). Really gross wound (I still have the scar to prove it). When we got back onboard they gave me a tetanus antibody shot, antibiotics and bandages to keep the wound clean and protected. We were not charged for anything.

So I would recommend getting the insurance RCL offers.

OP, that’s SUCH a scary scenario!! I’m so happy they were so great and that you ended your day at dinner with your family. Both of my experiences with the medical staff onboard were super positive as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You weren't charge on Radiance because you were hurt doing a ship activity. I don't know about the bite by the turtle, but if it was an excursion through the ship you also wouldn't be charged, even without insurance.

When you have any kind of insurance, including Royal's, you have to pay the bill, and then submit the paperwork they give you to the insurance company.

You weren't charge on Radiance because you were hurt doing a ship activity. I don't know about the bite by the turtle, but if it was an excursion through the ship you also wouldn't be charged, even without insurance.

When you have any kind of insurance, including Royal's, you have to pay the bill, and then submit the paperwork they give you to the insurance company.

Nope, on the Allure it was a private excursion not through the ship and we didn’t have to pay a thing. No paperwork, no bill. We just showed them we had the Assist Card insurance and that was it.

You’re correct about the Radiance and in that case they also had an officer come talk to me and fill out a case report.

Out of curiosity, if you had travel insurance, would that have covered the $167? I've never bought travel insurance so I don't know the ins and outs.

Highly recommend purchasing travel insurance, or at least checking to see if your health insurance covers you out of the US; many do not. Even young, healthy people can have accidents and you could end up paying thousands of dollars.

It’s funny you mention the bag! They had me breath into one. Usually that works, but I was too far gone at that point. I had myself in quite a state.

One day I’m sure this will all be a funny story....”Hey Lillian, remember that time you had a panic attack in the middle of the ocean on a dream vacation?!? Ohhh hahaha! That was crazy!!”

One day....

It will and you will be laughing too! And thank you -- went to the clinic today to get a new prescription for the 'instant inhaler'. Seems like a waste of money since I've not had to use that inhaler in over an a year, but as you say one never knows. And something I haven't always done, and was reminded at the visit, is to have it with me at all times.

From reading other posts -- seems like most of us are guilty of expired inhalers :) .

I am pleased to hear OP is ok. I have always assumed that medical facilities on ships are good and it is nice to have that confirmed.

I have various respiratory problems including asthma. I have learnt from own experience to take medication that I might need although don't use regularly.

My med pack includes :

Inhalers - rescue and preventer

Spacer

Travel nebuliser

Antibiotics

Prednisolone

I also fall into the routine of regular visits to the steam room to calm asthma flare ups. For me, steam is as effective if not better than the inhalers.

So far I have been able to treat myself if I have a flare up (which is rare) but it is good to know that I can turn to medics on ships if it gets serious.

To be honest, my biggest fear is being taken off the ship and dumped at a port. That is a much bigger fear than the cost of meds, consultation and whether the insurance will cover it.

We had a similar situation about 5 years ago and had to use the ship's hospital facilities. Bill came to about $1300.

We paid the bill and then put in a claim in with the travel insurance company that we used and were told to send the bill to our private insurance company first. We sent the bill to our secondary insurance company and they reimbursed us the entire amount.

My grandson had to go to the doctor for ear infection and the bill was something around $200 and our travel insurance paid every penny of it.

Just to clarify a few comments on this thread.

1. Many travel insurance policies include emergency evacuation. It is probably the most important benefit on the policy because in the rare case it's needed, it can run into the many thousands of dollars.

2. Many cruise line travel insurance policies DO NOT cover pre-existing conditions...in the case of the OP don't know if medical care would have been covered by cruise line travel insurance since she already had asthma.

3. With travel insurance policies you do have to bill your own home insurance first and then send the bill and EOB (explanation of benefits) to the travel insurance company and they will pay the difference.

In the rare case you get "landed", and it did happen to us recently, you will be extremely glad to have travel insurance with emergency evacuation benefits. Fortunately for us, although a very scary experience, it did end happily.

3. With travel insurance policies you do have to bill your own home insurance first and then send the bill and EOB (explanation of benefits) to the travel insurance company and they will pay the difference.

We always travel with medical+search and rescue insurance just in case, and over the years have had to send in bills in the past to get back money spent. When we cruise on Royal we get the “cancel for any reason” cruise line insurance in addition because the extra cost is worth it for our peace of mind. Again, when I got hurt on a private excursion and had to go to the doctor onboard twice + tetanus antibodies shot + antibiotics + supplies for bandaging the wound we were not charged because we had the cruise line insurance. This was clearly stated to us by the nurse + we DID NOT receive a bill nor did we have to make any claims later. We simply were not charged at all. This was about four years ago, so perhaps the policy has changed, but that’s how it worked at the time.

We had a similar situation about 5 years ago and had to use the ship's hospital facilities. Bill came to about $1300.

We paid the bill and then put in a claim in with the travel insurance company that we used and were told to send the bill to our private insurance company first. We sent the bill to our secondary insurance company and they reimbursed us the entire amount.

Many people dont know this and they rush to buy travel insurance to cover something they're already paying to have covered.

Travel insurance is for things like cancellation and delay. Medical coverage, including evacuation, is usually separate. We use GeoBlue for that. You can also look at sites like Insuremytrip and others which you can easily search.

Your trip insurance would have covered it. Check your policy or call Steve at Trip Insurance Store. I always buy primary coverage to avoid hassles.

Edited by blindrid
Clarification

Not always true. You need to look at the policy conditions to see if it states that the cruise medical coverage is "primary" or "secondary". If it is primary...cruise insurance will pay before even submitting to your own personal medical insurance. If your cruise medical is "secondary" coverage, then yes, you need to submit to your personal medical insurance first. Insuremytrip.com and squaremouth both have the option to search by primary coverage. That's what I always choose. My 180 dollar visit to medical on Anthem for strep was covered by the cruise insurance company and never had to submit a thing to my regular medical insurance as I had purchased primary coverage.

Choosing a non cruiseline travel insurance also enables me and my husband to get pre existing conditions covered as well as long as we meet the purchase by XX amount of days after booking requirement.

Thanks for sharing your story, OP. I experience panic attacks (horrible things). I also occasionally get, what I would call a "mild" asthma attack mainly in response to an outside allergen (like when I am cutting grass or hedges) or if I'm doing a lot of exercising (especially outdoors).

I have an inhaler and it works in a jiffy to help me breathe freely again. However, it happens so rarely (and nothing in the past few months) that I would have never thought to bring my inhaler on my upcoming TA. Your thoughtful post has reminded me that it would be worthwhile to pack it (especially considering the nature of my next cruise and the excursions I plan to take), so I've just added it to my packing list. If I'm unfortunate enough to have to use it during my TA, I'll at least be sure to send my thanks to you over the mental airways (oh, there's a little, unintended pun there....lol) that I had it with me :)

Melissa