Seasickness prevention and cure?

Joyjoydooba

I'm not sure there are many sure fire cures for sea sickness. As they say, prevention is better than cure, and that is the aim of most pharmaceuticals. Once seasickness has raised its ugly head, curing the symptoms will take a lot longer.

Rather than listing all the possible preventatives and remedies, I'll instead recommend using the search function to find the many, many previous threads on the subject. And keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another. This is where your family Dr or pharmacist comes in.

As others have said, not all remedies work for all people and different people get different side-affects.

DW uses seabands and when the weather get rough adds a Scpolomine Patch. She has no side-affects from the patch, but others have experienced some. In Canada they are available OTC, but in the US they are only available by prescription.

Many people also swear by ginger.

What ever you decide to use make sure that you start it before you board the ship and keep it on for a day or so after disembarking. It is much easier to prevent sea sickness than it is to cure it.

Rather than ask strangers on a cruise forum, don't you think you would get better advice talking to your physician or pharmacist?:)

Yes and No.

Your doctor or pharmacist might never have been on a cruise... While they have medical knowledge, that doesn't mean practical knowledge from fellow cruisers isn't helpful, as well.

I use ginger capsules I get from CVS or Walmart. I take one with breakfast and one at night, starting a couple of days before we fly to our cruise. Works for me, might not for everyone. Just a suggestion. Good luck, OP!

What's the best product to prevent and cure seasickness?

My wife can't take any of the chemical alternatives because of a medical condition and was using ginger gum, which helped, but there was some residual mal de mer. Then one of our tablemates mentioned that he also couldn't take the chemicals but had a lot of success with the pressure bands. We went to the ship store after dinner and bought some for her and poof! no more seasickness, AND it eliminated the queasiness she experienced on flights. Plus it is supposed to help with morning sickness, although (thank goodness, lol) we couldn't test that.

This is an example of what I am talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Wristband-Anti-Nausea-Acupressure-Sickness/dp/B001F731N0/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1529860959&sr=8-3&keywords=accupressure+wristband&dpID=51NA%252BS7p2AL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Of course, your mileage may vary.

For me its dramamine. I start the night before, then one in the morning and one 30 min before flying or driving. Its a lot but I get very sick otherwise. I also use sea bands and helio seeds. The only cure I've ever known was to get out of the plane or car.

ask your doctor if you plan to take meds or the patch

I rarely get seasick but when I feel queasy I have some ginger candy I always pack

some ships will hand out candied ginger if asked

green apples work for some, sip on flat ginger ale

I would try some natural methods before resorting to meds but everyone is different

I am quite prone to all motion sickness, so I definitely take precautions. If you don't typically have motion sickness, then I wouldn't suggest taking any precautions. If you do typically have motion sickness, then consider doing something proactive, but also keep in mind that cruise ships are way more stable than small boats.

Some routes are much more prone to have movement, like those which do open ocean crossings, Alaska round trip sailings which leave from Seattle, and pacific coastals. Even my significant motion sickness hasn't stopped me from booking the later two, as worse case the rough seas are usually only < 1 day at a time, and predictable, which I can manage. I don't like the possibility of having multiple days in a row of rough seas though, so I have so far avoided those sorts of routes.

I like Meclizine (generic Bonine), started the night before the cruise, taking 4 of the 12.5mg pills twice a day, when I wake up and when I go to bed (the max dose, which is higher than most bottles specify). Its non drowsy for most folks, and I've never had a side effect. I can get a bottle of 100 pills for about $6. If we start to rock, then I will put on Sea Bands (be sure to refer to the instructions as they have to be in a specific spot). If I start to feel a bit ill, then I'll usually keep my stomach full with starchy foods (bread, saltine cracks), and go to my midship cabin to rest (ie. avoid the forward theater and aft Windjammer, etc).

However, with the Bonine, Sea Bands, and midship cabin, I haven't ever felt more than a tiny bit sea sick, and that may be more anxiety than anything else (I have a phobia of getting sick, especially in public). Green apples are another common suggestion, but I am fructose intolerant so haven't tried that. I did pick up some Motion Ease homeopathic drops to put behind the ears, but I haven't tried it yet on a cruise. I asked my doctor about the rx patches, but he said he did not recommend them due to the high rate of potential side effects and them not being significantly more effective than otc options. Best wishes.

Yes and No.

Your doctor or pharmacist might never have been on a cruise... While they have medical knowledge, that doesn't mean practical knowledge from fellow cruisers isn't helpful, as well.

I use ginger capsules I get from CVS or Walmart. I take one with breakfast and one at night, starting a couple of days before we fly to our cruise. Works for me, might not for everyone. Just a suggestion. Good luck, OP!

Does a Doctor have to have heart problems to know how to treat it? Or does a cancer Doctor have to have had cancer to know how to treat it? Better yet, if you have a medical issue take the advise of strangers on a cruise forum who probably have no medical training.:rolleyes: