GTY Not assigned and GTY category is SOLD OUT!

We booked a GTY Neighbourhood Balcony Room in February. We haven't yet received a room assignment and when I checked today it says that all Balcony (Neighbourhood and Oceanview) are sold out (as are Inside and Oceanview rooms). I wonder what this means for us?

We were offered a promenade inside with a notice -on the website - for an additional $462 after booking and paying for a deluxe balcony. Found this out on Friday for the following Sunday Oasis cruise.

Once I talked with Resolutions, RCI would have comped the inside room except for taxes and gratuities. Ended up paying to move to a lower grade balcony on a different date although we were comped nonrefundable OBC equal to the $400 upcharge.

Haven’t booked with RCI In two years.

Didn't like being told it cost too much to provide me with the room I’d paid for. By the way, the higher cost room dropped two weeks later.

Good luck, yours may be a better experience than mine. By the way, Princess offers moveover offers where the following cruise is free and the carried over cost of the first cruise becomes refundable OBC payable to you on your return from the cruise.

I believed all the folks who said don’t worry. Experience proves otherwise.

When is your sail date?

Like most other posters, I would not be concerned. Most likely, they have pulled cabins out of inventory to eventually assign to gty bookings. Or they are going to offer up a suite up-sell to somebody in order to make another balcony available. Granted, once in a while something goes wrong and there is a serious problem with a cabin assignment in a sold out situation, but that seems like a rare event whereas non-problematic gty booking are very very common.

99% of the time you are fine. They may have earmarked a specific cabin for you but haven't notified you to preserve flexibility. Sometimes they hold back a few open cabins from their website, especially handicapped ones. They also receive a surprising number of cancellations right up until sailing. Imagine you're past final pmt date. If not, expect a fair number of open cabins to emerge once that passes.

Think about this for a moment. When you bought a guarantee, they didn't assign a cabin number to you. IOW, a cabin can be sold without it being assigned. All this means is the number of cabins sold as guarantees plus the cabins sold as assigned now equals the total number of cabins.

Chill. You've got a cabin. They just haven't told you which one.

We booked a GTY Neighbourhood Balcony Room in February. We haven't yet received a room assignment and when I checked today it says that all Balcony (Neighbourhood and Oceanview) are sold out (as are Inside and Oceanview rooms). I wonder what this means for us?

IMO you are going to be assigned a much better cabin than you thought you'd get. You'll get your balcony. For sure. It might be OV, it might be neighborhood. Hang in there and stop stressing. You won't be sleeping in a lifeboat.

I have an Invoice showing our Cabin # and the Online also shows our cabin when I look in on our cruises. The OP booked a GTY so was concerned when her cruise was showing their cabin category sold out. Many of us were assuring them they probably are assigned already or perhaps if they call and give their booking # they will find out where they are at. I don't book GTY's myself.

Just because a category or room is sold out - does not mean there aren't cabins available. The cruise line routinely "holds" back cabins to assign them at later dates to GTY. If your category is truly sold out or even oversold then you will be "upgraded" to a better grade at no cost. When a category is sold out - all it mean it the cruise line is no longer selling it. We the public and have no knowledge what inventory or cabins are truly available. Most booking websites are just marketing and booking tools and don't show true inventory. When you book a GTY it means you will be assigned a cabin anywhere from the time you make your reservation up until pier check in. Rest assured you will be going and will be assigned a cabin at some point. In the future if you don't like this uncertainly then don't book a GTY.

I have an Invoice showing our Cabin # and the Online also shows our cabin when I look in on our cruises. The OP booked a GTY so was concerned when her cruise was showing their cabin category sold out. Many of us were assuring them they probably are assigned already or perhaps if they call and give their booking # they will find out where they are at. I don't book GTY's myself.

From my experience in booking guarantees calling Royal will not get you your cabin information any quicker than looking on the website.

The people you talk to on the phone are looking at the same information that you see. Maybe someone In the actual department that assigns the guarantees knows what cabin you are getting however they don’t release that information to you or their customer service reps until they are good and ready and no amount of calling will get your cabin assigned any quicker.

Silly question to OP but did you check Royal's UK site? It shows more staterooms than the US site. When we booked guarantee (twice for Mariner) I used UK site to see all rooms and then saw which I liked best. When we got our room assignment, I called Royal and switched. On our last one, we had balcony guarantee. I could see only 1 remaining but many spacious balcony. Just before final payment we got a spacious and then I just called to move the location. Worked out well. So point two...even if sold out, they can give you better then guarantee category.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Rest assured you will be going and will be assigned a cabin at some point.

We have had reports of folks being offered incentives to switch sailings due to unavailable cabins (seems to be more likely with a GTY booking) - so it's not a guarantee that the OP will be going but the chances of that are so small it's not worth worrying about it.

Thanks for all the responses. I realize there are a small number of people that book a GTY room and run into problems, but I am optimistic that we’ll be ok. I’m very new to the cruising world and was asking more out of curiosity, what does a sold out cruise mean to us with a GTY unassigned room. I’ve learned that what RCI shows in their website as available can be selective in order to meet their marketing needs. But our cruise is just over a month away, and given the time of year I wonder if SOLD OUT actually means sold out at this point?

Again, thanks for all the replies... we are so excited for our cruise!!!! :)

But our cruise is just over a month away, and given the time of year I wonder if SOLD OUT actually means sold out at this point? :)

No one other than the folks who handle inventory at Miami HQ know that and it changes daily.

If it helps any. We booked a WS guarantee (JR Suite or better) on the Harmony for July 7

All the suites were sold out for over a month. They assigned us a room last week FULL SUITE.

I understand your angst, but try not to let it get to you. Royal is pretty good in this dept.

We are booked on the Oasis 7/29 sailing (not sure if that's your sailing or not). We also have a Balcony Guarantee booked. Based on the UK site, there are lots of Ocean View Balconies still available.

We are booked on the Oasis 7/29 sailing (not sure if that's your sailing or not). We also have a Balcony Guarantee booked. Based on the UK site, there are lots of Ocean View Balconies still available.

That’s our sailing too!! Have you guys received your stateroom number yet?