Newbie Needs Advice: What's Your Preference?

golightly01

First-time cruisers who know nothing but are learning. VERY grateful for this site and all of you! :D

Princess Star to Alaska on August 4 -- Vancouver to Anchorage (Whittier).

Can you help with these questions? What's your preference for:

• Post-embarkation: What do you do your first hours/day on the ship? Any tips?
  • Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay?
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held?
  • Final debarkation: Any tips?

Then a few likely silly questions:

• Anytime dining: Where can we learn more about this? We are scheduled but are a bit confused. Are we always seated with other diners or will we ever be seated alone? We know there are buffets and menu-based dining rooms included... do we need to make daily reservations for both? Is "anytime" really anytime?
  • Shows/entertainment: We are super interested. How do we see shows but still have dinner?
  • Timing in ports: When the itinerary time says that we're in port from 6:30am - 2:30pm, does this mean we actually need to be back on ship earlier? How much earlier?
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.?

THANK YOU for your advice... here's to a wonderful experience! (y)

Lots of great questions.

- When your board; one of the first things to do is head to main dining room and speak with the Matre d; and ask about your table; if you want to have a table for two that can be arranged. Because you have anytime dining they may not save a two seat table for you; but you can ask. For two people anytime dining they should seat your fairly quickly

- I normally walk the ship when I board to find out where everything is located; at least try and find everything onboard

- Sail away party is normally on pool deck. There will be music and members of cruise staff

- Formal nights. Alaska cruises are more casual than formal. Went to Alaska last July. Most people wore slacks,jeans and polo shirts to dinner. On formal nights there were more casual dressed than formal. On our 7 night Alaska cruise the formal nights were on our two sea days. We left on a Sunday, Sea days were Monday and Friday nights; which were are two sea days

- Onboard shows in the theater; they will run two shows a night. One for the early diners and one for the late diners. Since you have anytime dining; you should check the times for the shows each night then plan when you want to eat dinner. If you eat dinner in buffet; then you don't have to worry about show times. In main dining room plan on an hour to hour half to eat

- port calls and shore excursions. You will need to be back onboard 30 min prior to sailing. Everyday you will get the patters; which is the ships newsletter. On the front page it will have the arrival time in port and departure time; and will also include the time you need to be back onboard the ship

- You can tip extra if you feel you received exceptional over and above service. You can tip any of the waitstaff, bar staff extra. Your choice

*** hope this helps and have a great time

After boarding:

We like the sit down lunch, but lunch is also available at the buffet, the INternational Cafe, the fast food outlets, etc.

If you had any dining requests, meet with Maitre d' to be sure you have what you wanted or get moved to it

visit the public areas of the ship to get the "lay of the land."

Go to the library if you are a reader to select something

Sail away--about time of ship pulling out of the port, check Patter for exact time. Honestly, we've never done it on Princess.

Formal night isn't really formal, it is more like dress up a little. Some people do go totally formal, but that's rare. It is typically the best night for MDR food. There are typically 2 on a 7 night cruise.

Disembarkation--depends on what you want, what your transportation is. Princess will assign you to a group based on the information you provided them. If you want it changed, go to Passenger Services after you see your assignment. Not sure what you are really asking here..

Anytime dining--you can make reservations in the morning on at least some ships. No, you will be seated alone or with others, whichever you specify. It is "any time" there is a table available. Otherwise, you'll be given a pager for what is not typically a long wait. You go to the venue listed for "any time" during the hours they are open. It is not "any time" in the sense that you can't eat dinner at 3pm. It is "any time" the venue is serving.

Tipping--as long as you pay the standard grats, anything extra that you give to anyone will be kept by them. There is a 15% built in tip on any bar item (this includes soda, milkshakes, etc) and an 18% tip built in on any spa services Additional tipping is totally up to you.

The production shows are repeated. You choose to go to dinner before or after the shop....or you choose the early or late show based on your dinner desires.

All aboard time will be clearly noted in the Patter and at the gangway. It can change from what is posted prior to the cruise.

• Post-embarkation: What do you do your first hours/day on the ship? Any tips? My favorite after boarding the ship is lunch in the Main Dining Room (MDR). One is usually open. Go to your cabin, check the back page of the Patter for which one it is. If the Patter isn't there, go to deck 6 mid-ship. If it isn't open go to deck 5 mid-ship (it's usually one or the other). Much quieter than the buffet, which can be a zoo. The MDR is only open until 1:30, but you should be on the ship before that.
  • Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay? Never gone, but you should probably go at least once. Watch out for the drinks they offer...they're not free. We usually go to the Cruise Critic sail-away which is organized by your roll call. Although with such a small group, it may not happen.
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held? Already answered above.

You already did one of the most important things...you joined your roll call.:D

great questions:

I usually do what the other posters have already said- drop my bags in my room (my carry on) and go have sit down lunch. Then I explore the ship. (even ships I've been on many times) I usually pack clothes for dinner(and I prefer traditional dinning) as luggage doesn't always arrive by dinner time (I do early dinner)

on an Alaska cruise , formal night will be less formal, I would wear what you wear to a nice restaurant at home.

"nice restaurant at home" - think Golden Corral for the mdr experience, Outback = Crown Grill, Olive Garden = Sabatini's...;p

just kidding about those last 2 - as we always enjoy CG and S - and are more likely to 'dress up' for those than 'formal' night in the mdr...

Will sail on Princess for the first time in September. Have sailed on several other lines. After boarding and dropping off our carry-ons in our cabin, we will try to check the dinner menus so we can plan our dinner locations based on menus. Then we'll have lunch and explore the ship. That evening we will find the newsletter (patter) in our cabin and will decide on the next day's activities.

We have anytime dining and I usually tell them I'd be happy to share a table with English speaking guests. (Unfortunately, I am not multi-lingual). This is a great way to meet new people. I prefer anytime dining because of this. I sometimes travel with a friend who prefers traditional dining times. That way, you get the same wait staff and table companions for the whole trip. Having the same wait staff means they get to know your preferences.

I always leave an extra tip for our room steward, the amount depends on the level of service. I prefer to leave it every day on the pillow but my friend likes to leave it at the end of the voyage in an envelope. If there is a favourite bar I go to, I give a small extra tip to the bartender at the end of the trip.

I take around $75 US one dollar bills as I need tip money for excursions - drivers and tour guides, plus the steward and bartender (we are Canadian). The ships use US currency and most people in other countries are okay with US dollars. On my last cruise I noticed that a lot of people did not tip at the end of excursions, however, I always do.

I don't think formal nights are as formal as they used to be although I did see couples in evening dress and tuxedos on our last cruise. I never wear skirts or dresses anymore since I can't wear high heels but take 3 or 4 pairs of dress slacks and several tops for dining. I dress them up with jewellery, have a pedicure before I go and wear sandals, never flip/flops. I also wear red lipstick as it always makes me feel dressed up. haha

Best Advice - don't sweat the small stuff, ask if you aren't sure, and have a wonderful vacation.

Edited by darstamp
insert breaks to make it more readable.

First-time cruisers who know nothing but are learning. VERY grateful for this site and all of you! :D

• Post-embarkation: What do you do your first hours/day on the ship? Any tips? Drop bags, eat and drink and then explore. I like to study the ship layout in advance so I am familiar.
  • Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay? Are you speaking of Sailaway? If so, the name speaks for itself. For us it is a nay as we are usually having a drink and some snacks from the Lido on our balcony.
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held? Yay. First sea day and 3rd or 2nd toward end on a sea day or port day with early departure. I like that princess has formal night and I can wear a cocktail dress. Good for photos.
  • Final debarkation: Any tips? Try not to cry.

• Anytime dining: Where can we learn more about this? We are scheduled but are a bit confused. Are we always seated with other diners or will we ever be seated alone? We know there are buffets and menu-based dining rooms included... do we need to make daily reservations for both? Is "anytime" really anytime? We always request a private table - and if we find a good wait staff, will request them each night whenever we show up. Our boys are often with us and it is family time, especially on sea days. We often eat breakfast/lunch in MDR with others and meet plenty of people chatting at bars, so dinner is quiet.Tea time is also a great time to chat with others.
  • Shows/entertainment: We are super interested. How do we see shows but still have dinner? Figure out what you want to see and eat around it. Don't expect broadway quality but they can be a fun way to pass the evening.
  • Timing in ports: When the itinerary time says that we're in port from 6:30am - 2:30pm, does this mean we actually need to be back on ship earlier? How much earlier? 30 min
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.? Usually a $1 per drink for good service and $20+ to steward or outstanding server.

That's my $.02

• Post-embarkation: What do you do your first hours/day on the ship? Any tips? I take my carry on to the cabin, go eat lunch (either in the dining room or buffet), go to the spa for a mini-treatment and tour (then I usually join the Thermal Suites), tour the ship, then go back to the cabin before muster drill. After muster drill, if the luggage has arrived, then I unpack before going to dinner.

• Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay? Well, when I was a new cruiser, I did go to the Sailaway party (that's what it's called) up on the pool deck. It can be alot of fun with live music, dancing and watching the ship leaving the dock. But now I usually watch sailaway on my balcony.
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held? Personally, I'm tired of them and just dress as if going to a nice restaurant....most others do too. When having to fly overseas for cruises, taking lots of formal wear makes for heavy luggage. But you might enjoy the Champagne Waterfall in the atrium, formal pictures and surf/turf dinner for your first time around. Always on sea days, but can be on different ones depending on your itinerary.
  • Final debarkation: Any tips? Always makes me sad. :( They give you instructions on what to do about midway through the cruise, which also makes me sad. Unless you disembark very early and take your own luggage, you'll be asked to leave it outside your cabin by 10pm the night before. Don't forget to leave yourself an outfit for going home and toiletries for the morning. You'll then have to put your pj's and toiletries in your carry on. If you leave the autotips on (and I always do), then any other tips for steward/dining room staff are up to you if they go "above and beyond." Be sure to give extra tips in cash.

• Anytime dining: Where can we learn more about this? We are scheduled but are a bit confused. Are we always seated with other diners or will we ever be seated alone? We know there are buffets and menu-based dining rooms included... do we need to make daily reservations for both? Is "anytime" really anytime? The term "anytime" just means that you can show up to eat anytime within the hours that the dining room is open. The hostess will ask if you'd like to share a table....you can say "yes" and let them choose, "yes" but stipulate that you'd like to sit at a 4-top, 6-top, etc. or by the window, or "no" I'd rather not sit with others. If the table you'd prefer isn't ready, you'll get a buzzer and need to wait out in the atrium. We are usually willing to share, but just know that the larger the table, the longer dinner will take.
  • Shows/entertainment: We are super interested. How do we see shows but still have dinner? Easy to coordinate with anytime dining. The Patters (daily magazine telling you what will go on each day) will tell you what the show will be and the times.
  • Timing in ports: When the itinerary time says that we're in port from 6:30am - 2:30pm, does this mean we actually need to be back on ship earlier? How much earlier? You absolutely need to be onboard 30 min. before sailaway, but I always get back at least 1 hr. before. Unless you're on a ship sponsored tour, the ship WILL leave you behind if you're not back on time....what a mess that would be.
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.? It's OK to leave the auto tips on and not give extra. If you feel someone deserves more, then give them cash. If not, auto tips are fine.

I enjoy hearing the excitement of first-time cruisers! I clearly remember how excited I was in 1989 when we drove up to that ship....oh my, how amazing it looked! I became addicted to cruising on that first day! I still get that thrill when I see the ship, even after 16 cruises....enjoy your cruise, Alaska is wonderful.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

WOW, I just can't thank you all enough for your thoughtful responses and advice! I am SOOOOOOOO excited, I can barely stand to wait. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was listening to a vlog in the car on the way to work yesterday from an avid cruiser as she described her Alaskan cruise, and I was so enthralled by the description that I became teary with anticipation driving in morning traffic...LOL. I'm such a DORK! :loudcry:

The advice you all shared will be taken to heart. I have a ton of other questions, of course, but know that some things will work their way out without my knowing the details ahead of time. I've traveled enough globally to know how to go with the flow and accept imperfection as an opportunity to enjoy something in a new way. Besides, IT'S A CRUISE TO ALASKA!!!! Seriously, no matter what happens, it's going to be an awesome adventure.

Keep the insider tips coming folks. Your experience and wisdom is appreciated be me and many, many other newbies. Someday, hopefully, we'll be the ones helping the next wave of first-time cruisers.

Wishing you all safe travels and incredible memories! <3

Post embarkation: Eat Lunch. RSVP Speciality Restaurants and anything else that needs reservations, Buy drink packages if we are going to do that, unpack, Meet room Steward, make sure you know where muster drill will be, walk around to get bearing if new to the ship class.

Sailaway. We usually go. People watch. Sometimes there will be a good band. You can leave if it gets dull

Formal nights. Do it. Just be sure you follow the dress code even though others don't and get away with it.

Disembark. If you can handle all your luggage and want to get off first, you can self disembark. If you opt for the luggage to be taken the night before don't package your passport or clothes you will need! If you group disembark time is after 8:00 you can go to the Horizon court and wait there while eating breakfast.

Anytime dining. You can RSVP a table in ATD on a daily basis. It usually has to be before 6:00 or after 7:30. Varies by ship. You can sit by yourselves. But we sit with others. I can't describe all the intesting we have met at ATD.

Shows Be there at least a half hour early to get a good seat. If you go the it starts good luck finding any seats. The last show is not as crowded as the earlier show. Popular shows fill up even before the half hour before. They have two shows so dinner is not an issue. Once the waiter told us to go the show and come back for dessert which we did.

Tipping. Only if it is off the wall service. I usually tip extra in the speciality restaurants because usually the service is so good there. Depend with room m steward If he goes mile yes Just the standard service no. Since I don't turn off automatic tip, I tip extra in cash.

Don't over plan. On our first cruises we did everything. Now we do nothing.

Don't over plan. On our first cruises we did everything. Now we do nothing.

LOL! Well, I think we'll be blissfully in the "do everything" category to start but look forward to the "do nothing" phase down the road!

One more odd question for all: If the ship arrives in Whittier at 12:30AM, what time would we begin to disembark? And how long before everyone must be off the ship completely? I don't imagine they'll wake everyone in the middle of the night to make them end their vacation at 12:30AM... right?

first thing I do is get a drink go to my room look out my balcony and thank god for my fun to come I don't worry about formal nights or reservations it all works out plenty to eat and drink have fun your on freaking vacation

We've done a few back2 back Alaska cruises beginning and ending in Vancouver. I believe that disembarkation started at the usual 7ish time frame in Whittier. There is no place to go until the buses and train arrives. Whittier is a very small community. Hopefully someone who has complete the trip recently will verify.

Drop my bags, buy drinks package, explore the ship front to back, deck by deck, then it’s probably time for lunch.

• Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay? Princess don’t do a meet and greet, your roll call may have one.
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held? For us yea, normally a Sea night, if not a night you leave port early, not 1st or last night
  • Final debarkation: Any tips? Remember to keep clothes etc for the last day, if you’re in a rush do self disembark.

• Anytime dining: Where can we learn more about this? We are scheduled but are a bit confused. Are we always seated with other diners or will we ever be seated alone? We know there are buffets and menu-based dining rooms included... do we need to make daily reservations for both? Is "anytime" really anytime? Anytime is when you get there, between 5:30 and 9:00 (I think those are the times, if not pretty close) we hav3 never made a reservation for ATD. You can’t make a reservation for the buffet
  • Shows/entertainment: We are super interested. How do we see shows but still have dinner? Shows are normally timed one at about 6:00 one about 8:00 (some ships have three)
  • Timing in ports: When the itinerary time says that we're in port from 6:30am - 2:30pm, does this mean we actually need to be back on ship earlier? How much earlier? The time you need to be back will be posted both in your patter and at the gangway.
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.? Entirely up to you.

See my comments above.

you've already gotten lots of great info...will try not to repeat what other's have said but if I do please forgive me...well I will repeat one thing, relax & enjoy the trip!

• Post-embarkation: What do you do your first hours/day on the ship? Any tips? If you travel with anyone with difficulty with stairs, go to your muster station (it will be in a designated bar or lounge...info on your cruise card AKA ID/room key) early while the elevators are still running & find a nice seat...your Princess Patter (the daily schedule will tell you the time)...I travel with seniors & getting to the drill by stairs is very hard for them) by the way the Patter is your best friend...I check it as soon as I get on & every night before I go to bed & highlight what I might like to do...don't always do everything but that way I don't realize after that I really wanted to do something & missed it (you can also use the Princess@sea web tool on your phone to keep track of activities...it's free)
  • Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay? I don't but that's just personal preference
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held? Yay & don't stress too much about how you are dressed...it's often the night they serve special entrees like lobster
  • Final debarkation: Any tips? Realize that the "best laid plans" often get messed up & don't get so stressed that it leaves a bad last cruise memory

Then a few likely silly questions: there are no silly questions

• Anytime dining: Where can we learn more about this? We are scheduled but are a bit confused. Are we always seated with other diners or will we ever be seated alone? We know there are buffets and menu-based dining rooms included... do we need to make daily reservations for both? Is "anytime" really anytime? If you are scheduled I would stay scheduled...I much prefer it, your waiters will remember your preferences & take such good care of you. You can request a table size in the cruise personalizer & they will try to give it to you (or as someone said talk to the maître d' when you first board)...also you didn't ask, but if you have any food allergies, list these ahead of time in the personalizer & they will really lean over backward to work with your requirements
  • Shows/entertainment: We are super interested. How do we see shows but still have dinner?
  • Timing in ports: When the itinerary time says that we're in port from 6:30am - 2:30pm, does this mean we actually need to be back on ship earlier? How much earlier?
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.? Do what you feel is best, but realize that the $15 or so/day is spread among a lot of people...if someone has been exceptionally helpful you can always give them something extra...also make sure that share with management if someone has made a difference in your experience, last cruise our waiters said that it was especially important to mention them in the survey that was sent after our return

• Welcome Party: What and when is this? Yay or nay?
  • Formal nights: Yay or nay? Any tips? When are they typically held?
  • Final debarkation: Any tips?

• Anytime dining: Where can we learn more about this? We are scheduled but are a bit confused. Are we always seated with other diners or will we ever be seated alone? We know there are buffets and menu-based dining rooms included... do we need to make daily reservations for both? Is "anytime" really anytime?
  • Tipping: We believe in tipping. We know that the gratuity is built in, though. Thoughts on additional tipping for our steward, bartenders, servers, etc.?

Welcome. You're going to enjoy cruising!

Post embarkation - head to your room, drop your bags off and then head to the buffet to chow down! After that, we normally do a bit of a walk around to famiarize ourselves with the ship.

Formal nights - We dont dress up like we used to for these. Smart casual is all that you need if you want to eat in the MDR. No shorts, tee shirts, flip flops. And dont forget, there's always the buffet for relaxed dining.

Anytime dining - we just show up at the dining room when we want and typically we'll be asked what table size we want and we take what's available. Don't be intimidated here. Dining with strangers is a great way to meet new friends.

Timing in ports - always put your watch on ship time, not local time and if the ship says all aboard at 2:30, take that very seriously. If you're out wandering around on your own and 2:30 comes and goes, you'll be stuck in port. We always like to do our own thing most times in port but we always aim to finish up the day with a couple of hours wandering around the shops or area near the port. If you are on a ship purchased excursion, no worries. The ship will wait.

Shows - if you are on anytime dining, just arrange your dinners around the shows. Try not to do everything while on board. This is what we did on our first few cruises and we always left thinking that we missed a few things. Just go with the flow. If you miss something, you'll catch it on your next cruise.;p ;p;-)

Tipping - if you come across a worker is has gone above and beyond then by all means, slip him or her a little extra but do so when nobody is looking so that they can decide what to do with it. If they share it (as per rules) then fine. If they keep it, who cares?

Other tips:

Get to the ship early. They'll likely start boarding around 11 so its nice to be among the first on board and hey, its your first day on the cruise, enjoy.

You can bring water and a bottle of wine on board for each person in the room as well.

The MDR is open for breakfast and lunch so get there a few times.

Your rooms are ready as soon as you board.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT miss muster drill. They have a zero tolerance on that stuff and those who miss it often find that their cruise is over before it starts.

Don't count on any over-the-counter meds you regularly use being available on the ship or in port. If you think you'll need something, bring it with you.

A little bottle of hand sanitzer is a good thing to have. Use it frequently, before meals, after using washrooms etc. Wash your hands frequently.

Last pointer - have a great cruise. Roll with the punches and if something doesn't suit your tastes, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Have fun and dont forget to report back with a cruise review once you're off the ship.

;p

I really can't thank you enough. Seriously, your expertise is helping me and so many others.

In addition to these items you've all covered, can someone expand on the muster drill? This is a completely foreign concept. All I know is it is required.

Also, any favorite spots on the ship for viewing the glaciers and scenery? We have an interior room and plan to spend most of our time exploring and enjoying the ship for our viewing.

And any beverage tips? We enjoy a few good cocktails but are opting to pay as we go (no pre-pay plan). Any tasty favorites? Are the drinks bar-quality or watered down like those found in some all-inclusive resorts?

A muster drill is a mandatory exercise with the objective to familiarize all guests and crew with the location (musterstation) where they are to assemble in the unlikely event of an emergency. During this drill, additional safety information (i.e., how to don a life jacket) is presented.

Or just watch this helpful video...

Enjoy your cruise! And ask away...there are no dumb questions. I learn something new here every time I logon!

One more odd question for all: If the ship arrives in Whittier at 12:30AM, what time would we begin to disembark? And how long before everyone must be off the ship completely? I don't imagine they'll wake everyone in the middle of the night to make them end their vacation at 12:30AM... right?

You can find a list of last month's disembarkation times from the Island Princess in Whittier HERE. While they probably won't be exactly the same for your ship, it should give you an idea of what the schedule might look like.

I always like to be outside on an upper deck for sailaway from any port. And the scenery leaving the dock in Vancouver is spectacular: mountains to the north, Stanley Park to your left and then going under the Lions Gate Bridge and out to sea. [Hopefully, the weather cooperates!] The sailaway from the Alaskan ports is also scenic. Enjoy your first cruise to Alaska.

Thanks so much to all of you again!

Do you all remember your first cruises and what that experience was like? Is that why you're still cruising? I can't imagine not falling in love with it, but everyone is different, I suppose.