New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Another vote for arriving at minimum a day or two in advance for the reasons mentioned by richstowe. I'd add that, unless you have visited Rome previously and seen everything, it would be a shame not to take advantage of your presence there to do at least some sight seeing.

You might want to checkout the ports board for more information on departure times.

Just wanted new cruisers to know about shareholder benefit.

Anyone who has 100 shares of carnival corp stock which owns holland america, princess and others

You can take advantage of this......you need to contact holland america with proof of stock and you will get at least $100 cabin credit per cruise.....only one person in each cabin may take advantage of this

1800 522-3399

fax 206 281-0627

Holland America

World Cruise Reservations

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle WA 98119

This is great benefit

Just wanted new cruisers to know about shareholder benefit.

Anyone who has 100 shares of carnival corp stock which owns holland america, princess and others

You can take advantage of this......you need to contact holland america with proof of stock and you will get at least $100 cabin credit per cruise.....only one person in each cabin may take advantage of this

1800 522-3399

fax 206 281-0627

Holland America

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle WA 98119

This is great benefit

I agree it's a great benefit but Seattle moved it's offices.

As a result the fax # for WCR is incorrect in your post.

the new fax # is 1-206-270-6080

Just so people have the right number ;)

Click here for details of the CCL shareowner benefit:

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

HAL contact info:

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

450 Third Ave. W.

Seattle, WA 98119

Tel 800 522 3399

Fax 206 270 6080

Could someone please explain the different "classes" of ships? What are the names of those classes? Does it have something to do with when each ship was constructed? Our next cruise is on the Eurodam, 18 day circle of Hawaii, Sept 29. This is our 1st cruise with HAL since our very 1st cruise ever (and on HAL) 33 years ago. In between, we were staunch NCL cruisers. TIA!

Could someone please explain the different "classes" of ships? What are the names of those classes? Does it have something to do with when each ship was constructed? Our next cruise is on the Eurodam, 18 day circle of Hawaii, Sept 29. This is our 1st cruise with HAL since our very 1st cruise ever (and on HAL) 33 years ago. In between, we were staunch NCL cruisers. TIA!

This website will give you some idea of the different ship classes for HAL, as well as other useful information:

http://halfacts.com

If you want to drill down a bit further and compare ships:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/ships/pdf-files/FastFacts.pdf

Finally, another informative article from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_America_Line

Enjoy.

We are going on our first Hal cruise to Alaska, cruise and land. Carrying on luggage for the land portion is confusing as I read different requirements. I have an wheeled bag that is considered an under the seat size. Will that work for the bus and train trips?

Just booked Zuiderdam 7/31 and we are excited to circumnavigate Iceland! Can anyone tell me what to expect for internet packages? This is our first HAL cruise and I thought I read somewhere they have different tiers of bandwidth? Is it unlimited within that tier? And is my info current or was I reading an old post?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just booked Zuiderdam 7/31 and we are excited to circumnavigate Iceland! Can anyone tell me what to expect for internet packages? This is our first HAL cruise and I thought I read somewhere they have different tiers of bandwidth? Is it unlimited within that tier? And is my info current or was I reading an old post?

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the post was more that 24 hours old, it's "old". :o Things are in flux.

Eurodam offered by-bandwidth since her drydock in April -- at least through 3 weeks ago:

Tier 1: Unlimited connection time to Facebook, some other social media sites, and GMail

Tier 2: Plus unlimited connection time to everything else except full-up video streaming

Tier 3: Plus unlimited connection time to Skype, Amazon Video, YouTube, etc.

The joker in the deck is that by-bandwidth plans --especially Tier 3-- rely on the cheap, "firehose"

bandwidth available from the new Medium [height] Earth Orbit satellites over the equator. Go north

of Seattle or Southampton and those MEO satellites drop below the southern horizon. Oops!

Somehow, HAL (nor Princess) figured out that that would be a problem.

• Regal infamously found out the hard way on her April T/A.

Eurodam found out in May on her first cruise of the Alaska season -- I was aboard.

HAL's sister brand, Princess is currently scrambling: over the last two weeks, I've seen all internet

offers pulled, different days, on 2 different ships (and heard of 3 others since), apparently while

they rethink things. Methinks HAL won't be far behind.

By-bandwidth works jaw-droppingly well in the Caribbean, but while circling Iceland?

Sorry. :')

can you ask for an iron and iron board be brought to your cabin?

No you can't, sorry.

If you are one of the few ships that have self serve laundries, you can use the one there.

For the remaining ships, you have to use the ship's laundry service, including their pressing.

But when you send your clothes out for laundry, they all come back nicely pressed :D

Does anyone know if there are any "themed" nights on this cruise? Other cruises we have been on have had a night of themed fun, like 60's, 50's, etc. on the Noordam?

There are not many and they are usually on longer cruises. How long is your cruise and where is it going?

That would help people answer your question. Thanks.

We're looking at a cruise on the Koningsdam next June and I've see on some threads a $60/person hold. Not sure what that is and how much are the prepaid gratuities per person?

Thanks in advance

We're looking at a cruise on the Koningsdam next June and I've see on some threads a $60/person hold. Not sure what that is and how much are the prepaid gratuities per person?

HAL places a reserve on your credit card in the amount of $60/day ($30 on cruises over 25 days) to cover all expenses you incur on board. Those could include your HSC, drinks, meals in specialty restaurants, photos, shore excursions---and expenses. This is not a charge, but does reduce the amount of credit available for you to use making purchases not on the ship. You will only be charged what you spend.

The Hotel Service Charge is $13.50/pppd for people in most cabins, and $15 for those in suites.

Thanks in advance

Swipe a card at the gas pump or check in to a hotel — or any place where your final total isn't known — and merchants often place a temporary hold on the account. The purpose is to make sure you can pay for that tank of gas, or for raiding the minibar on your way out. Cruise lines do the same thing.

The daily Hotel Service Charge (gratuities) for suites is US$15.00* per guest per day, and US$13.50* per guest per day for other staterooms.

HAL places a reserve on your credit card in the amount of $60/day ($30 on cruises over 25 days) to cover all expenses you incur on board. Those could include your HSC, drinks, meals in specialty restaurants, photos, shore excursions---and expenses. This is not a charge, but does reduce the amount of credit available for you to use making purchases not on the ship. You will only be charged what you spend.

The Hotel Service Charge is $13.50/pppd for people in most cabins, and $15 for those in suites.

Thanks!

Swipe a card at the gas pump or check in to a hotel — or any place where your final total isn't known — and merchants often place a temporary hold on the account. The purpose is to make sure you can pay for that tank of gas, or for raiding the minibar on your way out. Cruise lines do the same thing.

The daily Hotel Service Charge (gratuities) for suites is US$15.00* per guest per day, and US$13.50* per guest per day for other staterooms.

I don't remember paying that on my other cruises. Thanks

Since I have someone's attention...:D How formal are the gala nights? Would I be out of place in a tux?

You would never be over dressed in a tux on Gala Night, but you will be in a distinct minority. There are some who can't even manage to dress to the minimum level of smart casual, while there are others who manage to get that 'dressy' only on Gala Night.

However, depending on the itinerary (Europe cruises still tend to dress up) and the ship, there may be several others in tux, white evening jacket, kilt, or at least suit or sport coat and tie.

If that's the level of dress you want to wear, there is no valid reason not to.

Since I have someone's attention...:D How formal are the gala nights? Would I be out of place in a tux?

Nope. Not unless you turn your nose up at the folks at the next table.

Just back from Eurodam in Alaska: more coatless, open collar than blazers; more blazers than suits;

more suits than tuxes -- but we had two tuxes at our table. :halo:

General wisdom is that HAL shades toward coatless, open collar especially to Alaska.

You would never be over dressed in a tux on Gala Night, but you will be in a distinct minority. There are some who can't even manage to dress to the minimum level of smart casual, while there are others who manage to get that 'dressy' only on Gala Night.

However, depending on the itinerary (Europe cruises still tend to dress up) and the ship, there may be several others in tux, white evening jacket, kilt, or at least suit or sport coat and tie.

If that's the level of dress you want to wear, there is no valid reason not to.

I've worn a tux to all of our cruises except one and I've never felt uncomfortable. This will be our first with HAL. Although we are platinum members with Princess, we chose HAL this time because we like the itinerary. It is a Mediterranean cruise to the Greek Islands.