Join Me Onboard Seabourn Odyssey For Pre-Inaugural Peek!

SueBryantCruiseUK

On Monday, June 22, I’ll be one of the very first passengers to step from the quayside of Venice’s Stazione Marittima onto the new Seabourn Odyssey, the first new ship built by a luxury cruise line in six years.

This is an exciting new ship not only for Seabourn but also for luxury cruising in general. Odyssey is really the first luxe vessel to be designed for this decade. Key features that are found on many big ships but, oddly enough, not so many luxury ones, include massive balconies, a two-deck spa with outdoor treatment areas and a waterfall, and an excellent range of eateries.

What do you want to know about Odyssey and luxury cruising? Ask away as I’ll be reporting from my two night “shakedown”

We’ll be setting sail through Venice’s gorgeous Giudecca Canal at 5 p.m. on Monday, with cocktails at sunset (very romantic). All day Tuesday, the ship will cruise the coast of Slovenia and possibly Croatia, where it will hopefully be warm and calm enough to lower the watersports platform and splash around in the Adriatic. There’s a big black tie do (Venetian theme – does that mean I need a mask?) on Tuesday night and home again on Wednesday as the bottle of Prosecco is prepared for the big smash later that day.

I’ll do my best to pry into every corner, so please keep checking in and sending me your questions, whether you’re a Seabourn regular or a first timer

Sue

Note: Sue is one of our most prolific UK-based Cruise Critic contributors and has sailed on virtually every luxury line on the seas -- so feel free to ask questions about luxury in general as well as Seabourn in particular!

Carolyn Spencer Brown, editor in chief, Cruise Critic

Meant to mention that I visited Mariotti Shipyard in Genoa in April to get a feel for the ship. That story’s here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=870.

First impressions? The cabins are going to be amazing – the balconies are massive. I loved the way the public areas were shaping up; everywhere seems to have an outside space for drinking, dancing, coffee, eating – Odyssey a real indoor-outdoor living ship. I’m intrigued to see how Seabourn Square works, too.

The company has done away with the traditional reception area and put the internet café, a specialty coffee area, roving concierges and the library all around a central square area on Deck Seven. No doubt I’ll be spending quite a bit of time there, updating these pages!

Sue

Sue, thank you for your offer - hope you have a wonderful initiation on Odyssey and yes, I do believe you should get Venetian mask!

We are new to Seabourn and will be on the maiden Caribbean cruise of the Odyssey in November. My husband is a bit of a fitness nut so if you could provide some information on the gym facilities, ie. weight-lift equipment brand, whether there are any stairmasters, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Reading your blog will be a treat! thanks,

Sue, I am a single gal who has had the great privilege of sailing on Seabourn several times. I could not afford the Odyssey, but I'm very very excited that you will be on her maiden voyage, and will be telling us all about it! I will do my best not to be green with envy *lol*. I'd love to know your impressions of the ship compared to Seabourn's smaller "triplets". There is nothing like the bow jacuzzi, in my opinion, you can get so close to the sea. Can't wait to read your comments and bon voyage!

Jane

I would love to know your impressions of the scale of the ship. Does it still feel intimate -- that is one of the many things I love about the little sisters. I really do feel like I am on a yacht and not a cruise ship and wonder if they can translate that to a ship double the size. Long story, but I was able to briefly go on board a Silversea ship only a little bigger I think that Odyssey and it felt huge, cold and impersonal.

The other thing that is of interest to me is the main dining room. In the current ships the ceiling is a bit low and I while the room is nice it lacks color and warmth IMHO. The pictures of the Odyssey show a high celing(maybe too high?) but the colors and decor still seem a bit cold. What is your impression in person?

Thanks for reporting!

Sue,

What a treat to be one of the first to experience Odyssey! I know that we will be hanging on your every report! While onboard, please let us know what the balconies are like for the V1 and V2 suites. Many are afraid that they are somewhat like the "Hull" balconies on the QM2. The big question will be "can you see the water, in one of these suites, sitting on the lounge?"

Thanks again for a blog from a seasoned professional who really "knows" Seabourn first hand!

Host Dan

Sue

Thanks for asking for questions to be answered. I have two in addition to what have been asked.

1. Is the Sky bar area large enough for 450 passengers and relative to the increase in size of passenger numbers over the triplets

2. Is the outside deck space and particularly at the outside rail ie over looking the sea on the deck between the sky bar and the spa area large enough for all passengers. It looks quite small in the photographs and on the plans and doesn't rap around the stern of the ship as on the current triplets. I know she has balconies but part of the charm of sail aways etc on the current triplets is the ability for all passengers to be able to be up on the sky bar deck and at the rail.

Enjoy the preview

Just received this report from Terry Breen Cruise Friendly Publications on John

Barron joining the Odyssey and current preparations for inaugural voyage:

JOHN BARRON JOINS SEABOURN

For those of you who did not receive John's email or read the chat boards, our Johnny-boy has moved on to Seabourn along with Barry Hopkins and Handre Potgieter. John is to be the relief Cruise Director when Barry goes on vacation. Currently they are sailing from Genova to Venice for the big christening. It is my understanding that Seabourn plans on building two more ships; when this happens Barry will move on to take out the new ship and John will become senior cruise director on the Odyssey. It is a big step for him and I am sure you all join me in wishing him luck. I think he has a great future at Seabourn and look forward to hearing all about how things are on the new ship.

I spoke to Handre yesterday and he said that they were underway and everything was running smoothly! Taking out a new ship is always nerve-wracking and the launch of the Odyssey is no different. I can remember my experience taking out a new ship - running through the dining room ripping plastic off curtains as guests were embarking! Barry said that all things considered he has never seen such a beautiful ship. And for those of you who know Barry that says alot! No expense was spared and no detail overlooked. It sounds great. And again, we all are looking forward to her successful launch.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and offering to answer our questions, in the coming days.

I'd be interested to know if the spa pool is open to everyone free of charge?

Sue, this is a repeat request (I posted this on your blog but see thank mosts people are using this thread) Thank you for your offer - hope you have a wonderful initiation on Odyssey and yes, I do believe you should get a Venetian mask!

We are new to Seabourn and will be on the maiden Caribbean cruise of the Odyssey in November. My husband is a bit of a fitness nut so if you could provide some information on the gym facilities, ie. weight-lift equipment brand, whether there are any stairmasters, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

An inauspicious start?

I’m on a rapid turnaround this weekend, trying to reprogram myself from a week’s vacation, sailing off the coast of Croatia in a 36-foot yacht to two days on one of the most luxurious ships afloat. A big box has arrived from Seabourn containing a leather travel wallet and four leather ticket holders (how much luggage do they think I’m bringing?). Big panic this morning as my air ticket was issued wrong – but lovely Seabourn people sorted the problem instantly.

So, nearly ready to go. But there’s fairly major nagging question. Is the ship, er, finished? I’ve been following the Seabourn Odyssey blog and the last significant posting was an attractive but uninformative picture of the vessel on sea trials. Seabourn took ownership of Odyssey on June 19 but recent sightings of the ship in the yard (from the quayside) have certainly raised this question. I was on board in April and the ship was further from being ready than any other vessel I’ve seen at that stage of its construction, so close to launch.

We’ve already had a letter warning us that some ‘work’ will still be going on during the pre-inaugural and there’s no mention in the itinerary of spa tours or treatments. But it won’t be the first shakedown cruise where bits of deck are still being hammered down and sections of carpet are still covered with protective plastic!

The other slight worry is the weather. There were huge storms over the northern Adriatic yesterday (I know as I was in them, waiting for my flight from Zadar, Croatia) and I flew out last night through black thunderclouds. The forecast for Venice is gloomy at best, with rain and wind expected for three days.

My fingers are crossed, though, for all the Seabourn people who have worked so hard on this launch, not to mention the passengers arriving for the inaugural on Wednesday. I'll start reporting the minute I get on board tomorrow. So here’s to fair winds and calm seas for the new ship!

Sue

Sue, thank you for your offer - hope you have a wonderful initiation on Odyssey and yes, I do believe you should get Venetian mask!

Hi Claudia! Will do my best to check out the gym - would be my first port of call, personally, but it's one of the parts I believe is not ready! Either way, I will pay a visit and report back! Sue

No matter what the weather, I'm sure Seabourn will make it a wonderful experience. Thank you again for taking the time to answer our questions and keep us informed of the coming days events.

Well, we’ve arrived in Venice. It’s a beautiful sunny day, hazy with high cloud and with none of the predicted rain. Stazione Marittima is crammed with cruise ships; Costa Fortuna, MSC Armonia, Royal Caribbean’s Brilliance of the Seas, and a small Thomson ship that I can’t quite see from my perch here in Seabourn Odyssey’s Sky Bar. Odyssey looks beautiful from the 10 minute inspection I have had so far, although there hasn’t been much chance to look around.

Upon boarding, we were ushered straight to lunch with a muttered “the suites aren’t quite ready.”

The crew is as warm and welcoming as you’d expect from a Seabourn ship but they do tend to look a little stressed, perhaps due to the arrival of Micky Arison, Carnival Corp.’s president and CEO, who I’ve just spotted marching across the pool deck, surrounded by a bunch of heavies in black suits.

More later, once I’ve been allowed free reign to explore.

Sue

Archived