Can "luxury" and an 8 year old boy mix?

oliverweagle

Hi there! My wife and I would love to experience a luxury cruise (of a two week or less duration), and I am wondering whether I am looking at polar opposites! Is there a cruise line that would offer excellent dining as well as affording activities for the young one? In a perfect world, we would be looking for something of an all inclusive nature and with stuffiness and formality at a minimum.

Thank you very much indeed for your suggestions and observations

Ollie.

Hi there! My wife and I would love to experience a luxury cruise (of a two week or less duration), and I am wondering whether I am looking at polar opposites! Is there a cruise line that would offer excellent dining as well as affording activities for the young one? In a perfect world, we would be looking for something of an all inclusive nature and with stuffiness and formality at a minimum.

Ollie.

Hmmm, thats a tough question.

With an 8 year old I might want to try a 5 to 7 day cruise first. 2 weeks might be a bit too much for a young child.

All major line have childrens programs that are included within the cruise price. Babysitting is usually an extra.

All major lines have luxury dinning and accommodations at a price.

With an 8 year old I would think freestyle dining might be a good option, incase he gets restless. Also, no stuffiness and formality when you go freestyle..

Regent offers wonderful children's programs during the summer and some school breaks. As long as you don't take him out of school for the cruise (which would mean no other children or programs on board), he would have a lovely time.

If you want a more accurate and useful answer to your question I would suggest going back to the message board, choosing the specific "Luxury" cruise line you might be considering, and resubmitting your question on their forum.

The more information you give will probably result in better answers ie

1. Are you cruising during the summer months when more children are likely to be aboard?

2. Do you want to entertain your son yourself or do you want a program offered by the ship?

3. What type of cruise..Alaska, Caribbean, Europe, etc?

The words formality and luxury go hand in hand. The only line that is all casual is Sea Dream, but with only 118 passengers and absolutely no kid's program, that's probably not an option.

I've had the good fortune to have cruised all the luxury lines at least twice each, and I would have to say that unless you cruise during summer or right during Christmas, you will find very few, if any, children on the luxury lines.

Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea all have formal and informal nights for dining along with some casual. Neither Seabourn nor Silversea has a children's program, not even in summer. Crystal has a program for their summer and Christmas cruises only. But Crystal is the most formal of the luxury lines in the evenings. And unless you choose to remain in your cabin on formal nights on Crystal, there is no casual dining option other than room service, and their public venues do expect the code of the evening for the entire evening.

You might want to look at Cunard and booking either a Princess Grill or Queen's Grill suite. But then again, you have the formal nights.

I've done Regent twice, and while they also have formal nights, they don't seem to have as many per cruise as the other three lines. While Regent has the largest cabins in the industry, my personal feeling is they lack in terms of having the best food of the luxury market---and I think I can judge the differences because I've been on all of them.

The words formality and luxury go hand in hand. The only line that is all casual is Sea Dream, but with only 118 passengers and absolutely no kid's program, that's probably not an option.

I've had the good fortune to have cruised all the luxury lines at least twice each, and I would have to say that unless you cruise during summer or right during Christmas, you will find very few, if any, children on the luxury lines.

Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea all have formal and informal nights for dining along with some casual. Neither Seabourn nor Silversea has a children's program, not even in summer. Crystal has a program for their summer and Christmas cruises only. But Crystal is the most formal of the luxury lines in the evenings. And unless you choose to remain in your cabin on formal nights on Crystal, there is no casual dining option other than room service, and their public venues do expect the code of the evening for the entire evening.

You might want to look at Cunard and booking either a Princess Grill or Queen's Grill suite. But then again, you have the formal nights.

I've done Regent twice, and while they also have formal nights, they don't seem to have as many per cruise as the other three lines. While Regent has the largest cabins in the industry, my personal feeling is they lack in terms of having the best food of the luxury market---and I think I can judge the differences because I've been on all of them.

I respectfully disagree with comparisons of food on any cruise line as this is subjective. When dining on a ship, your favorite meal, mine, and that of the parents of the 8 year old could be totally different.

Silversea does have a childrens program (although they are no longer advertising it).

According to the Crystal board, they working towards having a less "formal" reputation. Still, it isn't a line I would be interested in due to their set seating, etc.

I suggest that the OP post the question on both the Silversea and Regent boards. I'm sure the posters on those boards will provide a lot of positive feedback:)

As stated above, Regent has wonderful programs for children. . . . and, they are proud of their relaxed elegance!

I respectfully disagree with comparisons of food on any cruise line as this is subjective. When dining on a ship, your favorite meal, mine, and that of the parents of the 8 year old could be totally different.

Silversea does have a childrens program (although they are no longer advertising it).

Silversea is no longer advertising their children's program because the denizens of that line protested the fact that Silversea was going to make an attempt to attract families. Because of the very loud and numerous complaints, Silversea is not going to be attractive to passengers with kids because it's rather clear that the frequent Silversea passengers don't want kids on board.

Silversea is no longer advertising their children's program because the denizens of that line protested the fact that Silversea was going to make an attempt to attract families. Because of the very loud and numerous complaints, Silversea is not going to be attractive to passengers with kids because it's rather clear that the frequent Silversea passengers don't want kids on board.

Yes -- I followed that thread -- it was quite interesting. Somewhere on that thread, it was mentioned that there still will be a program for children -- perhaps for those that were already booked. Actually, Regent passengers feel the same way -- except during the summer and school breaks. It is rather sad that luxury ships would rather not have children on them (myself included). For me it's simply a case of "been there -- done that".

You will see children on luxury lines in the summer and on holiday salings.

Just like all adults are not created equally meaning that a luxury line is not for all adults the same is also true for children. So, not knowing your child it is difficult to say if one of the luxury cruise lines would be good for your child or not. It doesn't matter if one persons eight year old child enjoyed the line, what matter is whether your child will enjoy it.

Some of the luxury cruisel lines have formal children's programs during the summer and holidays while others do not. So, if this is important to you and your child you can easily determine that by having your TA contact the cruise lines. We can provide you with what we know but if it was me then I would have the TA do this research for you.

If formal programs are not important then study the layout of each ship. Some ships in my view would be very limiting to a child but again you are the best judge knowing what your child requires to keep busy.

As mentioned by Andy1333 another factor that will affect the number of children on board is likely the itinerary and that may be a factor for what cruise would be best for your child.

As noted, most of the luxury cruise lines will be more formal than the non luxury lines and dress isn't the entire factor. Even for a line that is less formal in terms of the dress, it will still be formal in terms of a faily long dinner in the evening as dinner is actually the main event so to speak on some of the luxury lines.

Now, we can spend the spread going back and forth on various items such as who is the best for this and who is the best for that but honestly in my view that will accomplish absolutely nothing. And I will highlight that no two children are alike as is the adults. Already on this thread we have seen the adults having different views.

So, here's what I would do.

Contact your TA.

If children's programs are a requirement get them to make a list for you as to who offers them and who does not.

Have them get you a brochure of each luxury cruise line and read through the brochure. It will give you a feel for the cruise line, the cruise ships and provide some solid information.

Study the layout carefully to see what is on the ship because that will give you a feel if your child would like any of the amenities available.

Study the itineraries to see if there is one or more that will work for your child.

Start to narrow down the list of the luxury lines that would work for you. Once your list is narrowed down, make up a list of questions that would help you decide and post them to each of the respective luxury lines cruise boards. By then you should have your list narrowed down to a few cruise lines.

Remember look closely at the size of the ships, and the itineraries.

Again, you know what will make your child happy; we do not. So, start getting the facts on this.

Finally, some on the boards have their favorite cruise lines and some have only cruised on one or a few of the luxury lines so don't start off with this specific line vs. another one. Look at all of them with an open mind and then based on what you learn and what you know about your child you should be able to easily narrow down the list.

Keith

T

It's obviously been a while since you've cruised Regent, or you would know that Alaska cruises have no formal nights. And, they have children's programs, particularly in the summer, when children sail free.

A one week cruise to Alaska will fit the OP's requests.

The one week cruises in the Med, and the Caribbean, also have no formal nights anymore. It's been that way for at least three years, when I last sailed in the Caribbean on the Navigator.

As for food, it is all subjective, as Keith says. I was perfectly happy with the food on Regent. Always cooked as requested, and lots of variety.

It's way better than any of the mass market lines I've sailed. But when serving hundreds, it's nowhere near what a fine dining establishment with less than a hundred seats can make.

It's obviously been a while since you've cruised Regent, or you would know that Alaska cruises have no formal nights. And, they have children's programs, particularly in the summer, when children sail free.

A one week cruise to Alaska will fit the OP's requests.

The one week cruises in the Med, and the Caribbean, also have no formal nights anymore. It's been that way for at least three years, when I last sailed in the Caribbean on the Navigator.

As for food, it is all subjective, as Keith says. I was perfectly happy with the food on Regent. Always cooked as requested, and lots of variety.

It's way better than any of the mass market lines I've sailed. But when serving hundreds, it's nowhere near what a fine dining establishment with less than a hundred seats can make.

I agree completely! Not sure if you've checked out the childrens programs for 2010 -- very different than in the past. Probably due to the fact that the Navigator will be in Alaska next year and does not have enough public areas to accommodate many people. They are also not running kids sail free (but the cost is greatly reduced). 2009 is still here -- and, they are running great specials -- that include excursions, airfare, etc. (I'm starting to sound like a Regent ad:confused:)

Ollie, I will restate one point. Some are jumping the gun with a specific recommendation for a cruise line without knowing you, your wife or your son. Not all adults nor not all children are alike.

I highly recommend that you look at each luxury line. If a children's program interests you there is certainly more than the one cruise line mentioned that has such a program. So, my advice to you is to carefully look at all lines. Figure out which one(s) appeal to you and then from there start to narrow your list.

My experience on this specific board is that some try to offer the same cruise line for each and every post because it is there favorite line. But what is good for one person is not good for each and every person or family. If it was then there would only be one or two luxury lines and we all know that is not the case.

Keith

Didn't think I was jumping the gun:confused: I did recommend going to at least the Silversea and Regent websites and post the question there (I am not familiar with children's programs on other cruise lines).

There are only a few luxury lines -- Seabourn really doesn't want children -- they state this often on their broad. Someone on this thread said that Seadream Yachts don't have a children's program. So, this pretty much leaves Regent, Silversea and Crystal. Kitty9 said that Crystal was the most formal of luxury lines (may or may not be a good thing) and does not have open seating (which may or may not matter).

I understand that your experience on CC goes back a long time and I certainly respect that. However, it is not unusual for people to post their recommendations without having a autobiography of the person(s) we are making the recommendation for (IMO)

Your suggestions about checking out each ship is a good one. Posting on the cruise line boards with questions is as well.

Didn't think I was jumping the gun:confused: I did recommend going to at least the Silversea and Regent websites and post the question there (I am not familiar with children's programs on other cruise lines).

There are only a few luxury lines -- Seabourn really doesn't want children -- they state this often on their broad. Someone on this thread said that Seadream Yachts don't have a children's program. So, this pretty much leaves Regent, Silversea and Crystal. Kitty9 said that Crystal was the most formal of luxury lines (may or may not be a good thing) and does not have open seating (which may or may not matter).

I understand that your experience on CC goes back a long time and I certainly respect that. However, it is not unusual for people to post their recommendations without having a autobiography of the person(s) we are making the recommendation for (IMO)

Your suggestions about checking out each ship is a good one. Posting on the cruise line boards with questions is as well.

As I said I just don't know how anyone can recommend a cruise without knowing the eight year old boy or more about him and the parents. I was not singling you out. Other posts had recommendations too and I don't think we know enough.

Even the part about the formality. All of the luxury cruise lines are formal. I am not talking about the clothes but the overall cruise. If you sit at dinner for several hours on say SeaDream even if you are in coutry club style attire it is still a formal experience. Not necessarily good for an eight year old even though it is less formal as it relates to clothing. So, to me the OP needs to expand on the question.

I just think before anyone recommends specific lines that the OP has either more homework to do or that the OP needs to share more than what was in the OP.

With that said, if one is going to recommend a couple of cruise lines and not others I think it's important to qualify why. In some situations it might be as simple as the person has taken two lf the luxury lines and not the others and just needs to say I can recommend these based on my experience but I am not recommending these because I have not taken them. Otherwise, it just makes it all the more confusing.

But back to the original post. The majority of eight year olds we have known over the years would not do well on some of the luxury cruise lines and possibly none of them. Some would do OK. Same goes for the parents. For some its great for and for others its not.

Anyway, to me it's no different than if someone asked me would their eight year old enjoy the Ritz Carlton in NYC or the Marriott Marquis. Well my first thougth would be "it all depends" on the child.

How about which is better fillet mignon or lobster? Well, it all depends.

Which is better a medium or a small ship? Well, it all depends.

Anyway, the bottom line is I think that many folks post on this board and some of the other cruise boards saying is this line good for me and many jump in to say yes or no but the reality is we don't know these people and we are talking about cruise lines with fares that are quite high. So, I have come to the conclusion that the folks need to do a lot more research on their own and with a TA and then come back with pointed questions.

And I remind myself that what is good for me is not necessarily the best choice for the other person which is why I don't think the answers should always be the same cruise lines that one likes as the solution for the people who ask the questions.

Keith

I do agree that lulxury cruises are not the best or easiest environment for children -- or even most teenagers. The only exception would be when they are running specific programs for them. I understand that Regent's Alaska cruise last week had 149 children on board and that this week will have even more. Many Regent "regular" passengers avoid these cruises.

Children do need to learn behavior for fine dining restaurants, the Ritz Carlton, etc. I'm not sure that a two week cruise would be the best place to learn:confused:

What a tremendous response! Thank you all so much for contributing so much of your time and effort. I have now looked at a number of lines, and Regent appears, at this early stage, to be of the most interest. I was further intrigued to learn about their Ambassadors of the Environment Youth Program which is open to children 9 years and up. I am now pondering delaying this adventure until Noah passes his next birthday as I am certain that such a programme would enthrall him.

Thank you once again,

Ollie.<style>!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

My wife and I went to Alaska with our son on the Crystal Harmony when he was 8. Cruising became his favorite vacation. The Crystal Jr. Activities Directors are very dedicated to making sure that youngsters have as good a time as their parents. While the dedicated kids areas are really basic, they use every nook and cranny in the ship for their activities. They have the dance team teach the kids ballroom dancing, the singers in the show direct the kids in a show, and the captain gives them tours of the bridge. The galley staff hosts them for cooking leasons. It is a wonderful program. When we go on Crystal now our son disappears each day only reappearing for meals and port calls.

My immediate responsed to an 8-year-old and luxury cruising was no....then I had to remember, when I was 12, I went on an ultra-luxury cruise (think Titantic) and had one of the BEST times of my life (and my first kiss.) Basically, it DEPENDS on your son....can you EASILY take him to the Ritz-Carlton dinner and depend on his best behavior, or is he running the run, spinning on the floor. I was raised a Military son, so etiquette was natural to us. IF...he is mature, TAKE him. If....others give withering glances to you when you're at Pizza hut.....spare them.

My immediate responsed to an 8-year-old and luxury cruising was no....then I had to remember, when I was 12, I went on an ultra-luxury cruise (think Titantic) and had one of the BEST times of my life (and my first kiss.) Basically, it DEPENDS on your son....can you EASILY take him to the Ritz-Carlton dinner and depend on his best behavior, or is he running the run, spinning on the floor. I was raised a Military son, so etiquette was natural to us. IF...he is mature, TAKE him. If....others give withering glances to you when you're at Pizza hut.....spare them.

This is the first question you need to ask of yourself. How often is he exposed to expensive formal restaurants/hotels? Are you confident your son can behave in nice places? If the answer is no, then don't even think about it. Stick to the Disney for now, and start taking him to top places to train him. Other passengers would be OK with, even nice to, well-mannered children, but they didn't pay this kind of money to be subjected to unrully brats. And they'll let you know by looks, etc.

• 1 month later...

I can only speak from my experience and I haven't experienced a lot of the lines discussed on this forum.

I do have kids though, I do like elegance and some luxury on my holidays and I have cruised with children.

We choose Cunard when we are travelling with our daughter (she is only 5 though) as for us they have the ideal mix - good food, good ambience, excellent childrens facilities. I can't speak highly enough about the kids facilities on Cunard although I suspect they are better for younger ones, yours would go into the older group. They dont get a lot of kids but the facilities they have are great, the staff beautifully trained and they DONT CHARGE extra. If you want to have a nice dinner and show they will look after your child until midnight for no extra charge. You can take them to an early dinner and then pop them up there and enjoy the rest of your evening - bliss!

With an older child I would probably mix it up, let them come to dinner sometimes and other times let them go up and have some fun depending on how tired they were, how likely to behave at dinner etc.

However, as previously mentioned Cunard do have formal nights although I dont find it stuffy, I love the dressing up and the atmosphere on board on those night, its all part of the fun.

Cheers

Ollie.

Ollie, I was just wondering what you and your wife decided. Did you end up booking a cruise?

Keith

Archived