Which best all inclusive luxury line

coldweathergirl

My husband and I are planning a trip next summer with two other couples for my 50th birthday to Europe or the Mediteranean. As a group, when we travel together we love to enjoy fine dining, fine wines, champagne and excellent service. We love dressing up and country club elegance.

Right now I'm looking at either Seabourn or Silversea.

My only fear is that these ships might be a bit too small in size. I'm not interested in the big ships of the mass market cruise lines. I also don't want to worry about other guests judging us if we celebrate a bit too much when we're on the ship (not that we'd be doing that every night). Last spring I sailed on a smaller luxury river boat on the nile and that seemed a bit on the small size but we had our kids so we weren't worried about nightlife.

Looking forward to everyones help.

Seabourn has just launched its newest luxury ship: Seabourn Odyssey (inaugural sailing June 24, 2009) At 30,000 tons and 450 passengers she is triple the tonnage but only a little more than twice the passengers of the original Seabourn yachts.

I am a long-time Seabourn sailor and obviously a huge fan. Odyssey appears to be the size you want. Seabourn includes open bars throughout the ship as well as two bottles of your choice in your suite (as well as a welcoming chilled bottle of champagne). Food is wonderful, especially the breadsticks, but Seabourn's best advertisement is its service; you will be greeted by name, by officers and staff alike, within 24 hours of boarding.

As a single widow I am always welcomed back; I feel I am part of the Seabourn family and look forward each sailing to the next one. I have made many life-long friends, as will you. I think you'll love Seabourn, as I do.

Winnie

It sounds like you may have done your research on Seabourn and Silversea. Just want to mention that Seabourn has a new ship -- Seabourn Odyssey that debuted last month. Silversea has a new, larger ship that will sail in December 2009. You may want to check their itineraries.

The next luxury ships in terms of size is Regent. Two of their ships are all balcony, 700 passengers, one is 80% balconies, 490 passengers. For 2010, they are the most all-inclusive of the luxury lines. In addition to "normal" all-inclusive items, they are including airfare and excursions (note: excursions are either no cost or dramatically decreased cost). Their claim to fame may be having the largest 'regular' suites on the seas.

Crystal is the highest rated luxury cruise line and has 900+ passengers. Although not all-inclusive, their current special gives passengers enough on-board credit to pay for drinks, tips and perhaps even more.

I suggest you take a look at all four websites for these luxury lines to get a better idea which will suit the two of you the best.

In terms of destinations, our #1 favorite cruise itinerary is the Mediterranean (followed by the Baltics).

Archived