Australia/New Zealand Cruise Suggestions Please!

GeorgiaPeach51

Would appreciate your insights...we are planning a 2015 cruise and want very much to see as much as our time allows of the two above. We are limited by still working, so we would have a maximum of two weeks.

We originally thought we would wait to do the "down under" trip of a lifetime when we retire, but in looking at the many cruises offered, we are thinking we should perhaps do New Zealand separately from Australia in order to see more of each....and make at least two trips to see that part of the world.

I find myself overwhelmed in looking at the many options. What would you suggest for those of us who have never been, and who have equal interest in both countries? Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

While it is only an Austrailan cruise Princess has a neet one then that we have booked. 28 day circumnavigation of the continent starting and ending in Sydney with a one day side trip to Bali. Not sure if you have that long but it looks to be a great trip. Food for thought.

Would appreciate your insights...we are planning a 2015 cruise and want very much to see as much as our time allows of the two above. We are limited by still working, so we would have a maximum of two weeks.

We originally thought we would wait to do the "down under" trip of a lifetime when we retire, but in looking at the many cruises offered, we are thinking we should perhaps do New Zealand separately from Australia in order to see more of each....and make at least two trips to see that part of the world.

I find myself overwhelmed in looking at the many options. What would you suggest for those of us who have never been, and who have equal interest in both countries? Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

My suggestion is that you check out the one way cruises offered by Princess (on Diamond Princess) and Celebrity (Solstice). These cruise one way from Sydney to Auckland (or vice versa) and visit Melbourne & Hobart (Aust); the NZ Fjiords; and about 5 other ports along the NZ East Coast. The Diamond is a 12 nighter and the Solstice is 14 nights (Might vary depending on actual cruise date).

This itinery gives you a taste for both Aust. and NZ. You can fly into either Auckland or Sydney direct from the States and then fly out of the other city.

There are others that do the one wayers (HAL & RCL) and there are some that do a return from Sydney,Brisbane or Melbourne.... so check with your TA. I believe however that either the Diamond or Solstice would be your best bet.

Any spare time should be spent in Sydney

cheers

As above, my thoughts are Sydney to Auckland. New Zealand seems just the right size to cruise around and get to see a whole heap best viewed from a Ship (The Sounds). Any extra time in Auckland use it on the North Island. You will see a heck of a lot more in a few days in New Zealand then you ever will in Australia. You can drive for 3 days and not leave the State. You could Travel for 12 months in Australia and still only cover the basics.

For people like you that pose this question, I always ask, "What kind of trip are you envisioning? Do you want to go on a cruise and see a few coastal cities for a few hours each? Or do you want to want to spend more time in each city and, perhaps, visit the interior?"

There's no right or wrong answer--it just depends on what you want out of your trip Down Under. If you are mostly interested in cruising and less interested in spending a lot of time in the country (whether it be Australia or New Zealand), then the recommendations you have gotten are good. If you are mostly interested in spending a lot of time in the country, then a land tour (guided or self-guided, which is easy to do in either Australia or NZ) is the better option. If you have a maximum of 2 weeks and want to do a land tour, then you need to choose either Australia OR New Zealand as you don't have time to visit both.

With 2 weeks, I would recommend no more than 3 destinations in Australia. The popular City, Rock, Reef (Sydney, Uluru, Cairns/Port Douglas) option is always a good choice for a 2-week visit to Australia. For 2 weeks in New Zealand, I would recommend a self-drive tour of just the South Island, but I've also done that trip with 1 week on each island and it was good too.

FWIW, my suggestions are based on having visited NZ 3 times, having visited Australia 3 times and having lived in Australia for 3 years.

Edited by GradUT

We just did a 12 day Auckland to Sydney on the Diamond a Princess. NZ and AUS are both amazing countries with many, many wonderful things to see. Taking this into consideration and given your time limitations, you won't be able to see everything but whatever you do see will be fabulous! These are two amazing countries that deserve more than one visit. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose!

Appreciate all the responses. You actually did help us to narrow things down, so many thanks. We are fans of Celebrity due to the lack of smoking, so the Solstice sounds very appealing. I do know that you can't do it justice with just one visit, so it's a great excuse to return, if life and money allow us that luxury!

• 1 month later...

I think that the Solstice cruise is a realy good option as you are already realising two weeks is too short to do both countries justice.

This cruise gives a good overview of New Zealand ports, cultures and landscapes.

I would check first what would work best for you regarding flying over, then decide to either go Auckland - Sydney or visa versa.

In either case spend a few days at each end with spending the longest in Sydney (at least 3 days). Sailaway from Sydney is just wonderful and that way, you still get some of an Australian experience.

Then the next time when "down under" go and do either a cruise around Australia and make sure that you visit the Great Barrier Reef or do an intensive land tour.

If you can see my signature, you will notice that I'm doing this Solstice cruise myself in January 2015. If you have not done a cruise as yet on a Solstice type ship you are in for a treat. Tip: book one of the cabins on the slant from the "hump". Besides being a convenient location, the first and third on the slant have a triple size and the second and fourth cabin on the slant have a double size balcony. There is no difference in price for these balconies.

Edited by Waihekean
Forgot something

• 5 weeks later...

We chose the Diamond Princess Feb 15 sailing from Auckland to Sydney. We are doing three days pre-cruise in the Auckland area and 2 days post cruise in Sydney. Some friends did the same trip with the add-on of a 7 day land trip to Ayers Rock, Great Barrier Reef etc. They had an amazing time.

Maybe check out some of the roll calls so you can see what folks are planning and how that would interest you.

I did a blog post of two tours we took in New Zealand, feel free to take a look and see if it helps.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

Have fun!

Thanks for posting this. I am looking into doing the train on our own as well. Did you buy the train tickets prior to cruising? Do you remember any details about the shuttle to take and where to go to get the train? Thanks so much!

Appreciate all the responses. You actually did help us to narrow things down, so many thanks. We are fans of Celebrity due to the lack of smoking, so the Solstice sounds very appealing. I do know that you can't do it justice with just one visit, so it's a great excuse to return, if life and money allow us that luxury!

Waihekean: I think that the Solstice cruise is a realy good option as you are already realising two weeks is too short to do both countries justice. This cruise gives a good overview of New Zealand ports' date=' cultures and landscapes. [/quote']

Sounds like our Georgia friends are headed in the right direction with the appropriate approach, priorities. Good points by Waihekean and others. As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. All worked out well for us and the six other couples from Central Ohio in our travel group. Check out these postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, the various port stops, pre- and post-cruise stops/options in both of these great countries, etc. Happy to answer any added questions about this ship, these wonderful areas, etc. Just post on the live/blog and I will follow-up.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 50,073 views for this fun posting.

We are doing a 17 day cruise from Perth to Sydney via New Zealand, on board Radiance of the seas. Ports are:

Fremantle

Esperance

Adelaide

Melbourne in Australia

Then:

Milford sound

Doubtful sound

Dusky Sound

Dunedin

Akaroa

Wellington

PIcton

Finishing in Sydney, really looking forward to a great cruise. I live in Australia and have visited New Zealand before.

Joy

nursemom 2,

I saw the photos for train ride in Dunedin. WE would be interested in taking that excursion on our own.

Would you please share how you purchased the tickets and the shuttle to town?

You stated 2 stops but I only saw Beijing and Dunedin.

We sail on Feb 8, 2015 Solstice from Auckland to Perth. We plan to spend 3 days in Auckland area prior cruise.

Appreciate any suggestions and excursion info.

janines, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl

From another Georgian, your two week limit does eliminate a lot of the cruises out of Australia and NZ.

We spent three days in Perth and five in Sydney before and after our 17 cruise around the top of Australia on Celebrity Solstice.

There are 12 day cruises by Celebrity from Sydney to NZ or in reverse. You should do at least two days in Sydney, so that about does your two weeks.

Edited by 4774Papa
error

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd give an update to all who responded so kindly way back in 2014!

We didn't make it in 2015, or 2016, or even 2017. Life, two retirements, the joy of twin grandbabies--a boy and a girl, that we now take care of five days a week while Mom and Dad work...but we are finally going! Thank you Gunner22aa, Flipper133, flappa68, GradUT, rpcv77, Waiheekean, nursemom2, Alaskanb, jkw2765, TLCOhio, joyfulone, janinis, and 4774Papa for taking the time to respond. You were all helpful. Terry, I have spent HOURS reading and rereading your beautiful blog--a masterpiece if ever there was one! Invaluable!

We are flying to Sydney October 19, 2018 and spending a week before boarding Solstice for a 10 night Great Barrier Reef cruise, followed by a 12 night New Zealand cruise, beginning in Sydney and ending in Auckland on November 20.

Then we have 6 days to drive probably the South Island before flying out of Auckland on November 27. I am still muddling around with how to maximize those last 6 days. We are going on this trip with my twin sister and her husband, and I have to pinch myself to think that this trip of a lifetime and #1 on my personal bucket list is coming up.

I just wanted to thank you all for responding and helping with the basic planning four years ago! I will try to give my own input when we return and hopefully help others who are overwhelmed by the planning. :hearteyes:

I thought I'd give an update to all who responded so kindly way back in 2014!

We didn't make it in 2015, or 2016, or even 2017. Life, two retirements, the joy of twin grandbabies--a boy and a girl, that we now take care of five days a week while Mom and Dad work...but we are finally going! Thank you Gunner22aa, Flipper133, flappa68, GradUT, rpcv77, Waiheekean, nursemom2, Alaskanb, jkw2765, TLCOhio, joyfulone, janinis, and 4774Papa for taking the time to respond. You were all helpful. Terry, I have spent HOURS reading and rereading your beautiful blog--a masterpiece if ever there was one! Invaluable!

We are flying to Sydney October 19, 2018 and spending a week before boarding Solstice for a 10 night Great Barrier Reef cruise, followed by a 12 night New Zealand cruise, beginning in Sydney and ending in Auckland on November 20.

Then we have 6 days to drive probably the South Island before flying out of Auckland on November 27. I am still muddling around with how to maximize those last 6 days. We are going on this trip with my twin sister and her husband, and I have to pinch myself to think that this trip of a lifetime and #1 on my personal bucket list is coming up.

I just wanted to thank you all for responding and helping with the basic planning four years ago! I will try to give my own input when we return and hopefully help others who are overwhelmed by the planning. :hearteyes:

Wow, sounds great, I hope you enjoy your time downunder.

Glad you are finally going to make it.

To enrich your visit to downunder you should bone up on the thread indicated below.

Although now a couple of of years old still relevant for overseas visitors.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2362723

And watch out for

dee95dcac4373d6ad00300cc8422a9e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gut2407 and Bpos, I owe you! Invaluable info for any naive traveler. Don't know how to thank you for the insights and warnings. I will definitely carry an umbrella at all times as an all purpose tool to combat all manner of falling and crawling predators. Have to admit that I got a little strangled with my morning coffee as I read the epistle, but I managed to make it through and even took notes lest I forget a key element.

No wonder this trip is on my bucket list--who could fail to love the Aussies and their neighbors across the sea? :hearteyes:

Gut2407 and Bpos, I owe you! Invaluable info for any naive traveler. Don't know how to thank you for the insights and warnings. I will definitely carry an umbrella at all times as an all purpose tool to combat all manner of falling and crawling predators. Have to admit that I got a little strangled with my morning coffee as I read the epistle, but I managed to make it through and even took notes lest I forget a key element.

No wonder this trip is on my bucket list--who could fail to love the Aussies and their neighbors across the sea? :hearteyes:

Well I know Aussies find it easy not to love Kiwis.