Piano Bar entertainers - who is your favorite?

JPH814

In August, we were on the Oosterdam and had the pleasure of spending many evenings with Jimmy Maddox. I thought he was wonderful and could not imagine a better piano bar entertainer.

Until we were on the Zuiderdam in January and we met Stryker. My god, what a talent. Incredible musician, singer and entertainer.

So now we have another cruise booked on the Oosterdam, in February of 2017. I have no idea who it will be in the piano bar. I can only hope it will be as good as either of these two.

which got me to thinking...

Who is you favorite piano bar entertainer and why??

Diana Fast. Her husband plays bass in the musical group that plays in the Ocean Bar. Often, he will join her in the Piano Bar after his group's set is finished. And, that only adds to the enjoyment.

Diana is open to song selections from her audience. She can play/sing anything anyone suggests. Often, it is "standing room only" in the venue where she is performing. Just a great talent!

She never takes a break. From the start to the end of her time to perform, she is there entertaining. And, off duty, she is a very pleasant person, as well.

For my last 3 cruises I have enjoyed Barry from Boston in the Piano Bar. Prior to that none of the entertainers in the Piano Bar caught my attention.

On the next cruise I am told the Piano Bar entertainer will be Jeff the Piano Man. Hope he is as good.

• Like 1

In August, we were on the Oosterdam and had the pleasure of spending many evenings with Jimmy Maddox. I thought he was wonderful and could not imagine a better piano bar entertainer.

Until we were on the Zuiderdam in January and we met Stryker. My god, what a talent. Incredible musician, singer and entertainer.

So now we have another cruise booked on the Oosterdam, in February of 2017. I have no idea who it will be in the piano bar. I can only hope it will be as good as either of these two.

which got me to thinking...

Who is you favorite piano bar entertainer and why??

Your so right. Sir Stryker is so talented.

I enjoyed Barry from Boston, first piano bar entertainment that I enjoyed. I have not been on a cruise with the others mentioned but nice to hear that they are liked too.

Overall I find the piano bars too small, too crowed, seating uncomfortable and I dislike standing until someone leaves. I'd rather go elsewhere. m--

Of the current group, I've never had the opportunity to hear Barry from Boston, but have heard enough good things that I know I would be happy to find his name on my daily program when I boarded.

I have enjoyed Jimmy Maddox, and love Stryker and Diane Fast. I think my favorite right now is Buddy Mitchell. He's a lot of fun, and plays some most unusual pieces.

Wow. A lot of love for Barry from Boston. He was on Oosterdam in October and I thought he sucked. In fact, I've yet to hear a decent piano entertainer on HAL, and I think the venue is terrible.

Sorry, I know this wasn't exactly what you were asking. :o

Edited by Aquahound

I definitely concur with Jimmy Maddox, Diane Fast and Stryker (whom I just got to experience for the first time on my recent Zuiderdam cruise). It's even more amazing that Stryker doesn't read music and does what he does totally by ear!

On the other hand, I didn't think much of: Kimberly Krohn, Michael Sara and Olga Savage.

Your so right. Sir Stryker is so talented.

The last time we saw him he went by the name "Stryker." Now he has added "Sir?" Whatever....for a guy that cannot read a note of music he is an amazing talent.

Hank

The last time we saw him he went by the name "Stryker." Now he has added "Sir?" Whatever....for a guy that cannot read a note of music he is an amazing talent.

Hank

The "Sir" is really only for his website. He goes by "Stryker".

Finally remembered the name of one more Piano Bar entertainer who was enjoyed by many of us on the Statendam's final HAL voyage to Singapore: Kenn (yes 2 n's) Pettiford. Personally engaging with a good voice and could play whatever song you mentioned.

A previous poster mentioned the small Piano Bar venue on some of the ships and I have to agree with those comments. Almost always, however, I was able to find a seat somewhere in the "hinter lands" of the Lounge. Certainly, not at all the best location for one who wishes to participate in the program of the Piano Bar, but I enjoyed the music and the ambience.

In my opinion, the introduction of the MIX concept to some of the ships in lieu of the public rooms that had been in those locations is a positive. The Piano Bar performer has lots of room for an audience plus the area provides for additional entertainment that is different from other venues aboard.

I definitely concur with Jimmy Maddox, Diane Fast and Stryker (whom I just got to experience for the first time on my recent Zuiderdam cruise). It's even more amazing that Stryker doesn't read music and does what he does totally by ear!

On the other hand, I didn't think much of: Kimberly Krohn, Michael Sara and Olga Savage.

When were you on the Z with styker. We were on the Panama sailing Jan 25

Stryker is way beyond just a piano man. He is the consummate entertainer, with talent, personality and an outrageous wardrobe. We were lucky enough to enjoy 49 nights with him, in addition to all the extra events he organized (Sunday morning gospel songs, guest talent shows, staff talent nights, rear deck concert under the stars).

Also had an great 49 day voyage with Buddy. Entirely different experience, but every bit as enjoyable. Loved his versions of "Smile" and "Over the Rainbow". Coax him to sing "Hallelujah". Makes me cry every time.

Stryker ... organized (Sunday morning gospel songs, ....

Is Stryker allowed to do his Gospel Hour again? That would be wonderful if he is.

He did it on my first cruise with him. Had to move him from the Piano Lounge, to the Ocean Bar, and finally to the show lounge as the crowds were so large.

Then, someone complained about the nature of the music, and the shows were stopped.

Happy if HAL has come to its senses about letting him give this entertainment.

Kenn Pettiford! We sailed last June on the Westerdam and discovered him a few nights into the cruise. We were hooked and went every night after that.

Great piano man, could play anything and quite charming. He would do a Name That Tune for part of the time and take request also. Had to get there early, filled up quickly.