No straighteners/ hairdryers etc

NottsCruiser

BEWARE

Very, very, very disappointed in MSC customer services today. This was supposed to be a treat for my daughter who has been working really hard on A levels.

Joining cruise Saturday after 3 days in Venice, but only found out from tickets that straighteners (or hairdryers, hot air brushes etc) are not allowed on board even though matches, lighters, cigarettes which do not have auto cut off are allowed. CS advised that this is for Health and safety reasons but sorry MSC think this is just excuse.

Coincidentally this coincides with recent tie in with hair salon provider!

Myself and my 18yr old daughter are now not looking forward to a week with frizzy hair! - thanks MSC for ruining our idea of a luxury cruise experience.

After several call to CS there is apparently nothing they can advise except that:

a) Although booking an Aurea experience suite we have to use the one tiny hairdryer in the bathroom of the cabin between 3 adults!

b) Only way to style your hair through your cruise is to attend the fee paying hair salon. So presumably they will be able to cope with 2-3ooo passengers twice a day.

I was advised that this info was in the terms and conditions but looking at the details on the website the Ts & Cs did not include this info. The only reference to not being able to take straighteners was buried in the 'Already Booked', 'Useful Info' section so not technically a T&C. This is not good practice. I did try to complain to CS that this is not in Ts & Cs but when after 30 minutes I was put through to a Supervisor (Nadine) I was rather ominously told that a note would be made against our booking that we had been told about the restrictions and no exceptions or compromises were possible.

As far as I know these restrictions are not common to all cruise companies. We have cruised with MSC several times and are gold loyalty members are were planning to book a longer special cruise for our silver wedding next year but after this experience are having serious second thoughts.

Come on MSC be real!

BEWARE

Very, very, very disappointed in MSC customer services today. This was supposed to be a treat for my daughter who has been working really hard on A levels.

Joining cruise Saturday after 3 days in Venice, but only found out from tickets that straighteners (or hairdryers, hot air brushes etc) are not allowed on board even though matches, lighters, cigarettes which do not have auto cut off are allowed. CS advised that this is for Health and safety reasons but sorry MSC think this is just excuse.

Myself and my 18yr old daughter are now not looking forward to a week with frizzy hair! - thanks MSC for ruining our idea of a luxury cruise experience.

After several call to CS there is apparently nothing they can advise except that:

a) Although booking an Aurea experience suite we have to use the one tiny hairdryer in the bathroom of the cabin between 3 adults!

b) Only way to style your hair through your cruise is to attend the fee paying hair salon. So presumably they will be able to cope with 2-3ooo passengers twice a day.

I was advised that this info was in the terms and conditions but looking at the details on the website the Ts & Cs did not include this info. The only reference to not being able to take straighteners was buried in the 'Already Booked', 'Useful Info' section so not technically a T&C. This is not good practice. I did try to complain to CS that this is not in Ts & Cs but when after 30 minutes I was put through to a Supervisor (Nadine) I was rather ominously told that a note would be made against our booking that we had been told about the restrictions and no exceptions or compromises were possible.

As far as I know these restrictions are not common to all cruise companies. We have cruised with MSC several times and are gold loyalty members are were planning to book a longer special cruise for our silver wedding next year but after this experience are having serious second thoughts.

Come on MSC be real!

My girlfriend had no problem bringing hers onboard,,,she put hers in her carry-on baggage,,,it's worth a try!!!:)

BEWARE

..................... Joining cruise Saturday after 3 days in Venice, but only found out from tickets that straighteners (or hairdryers, hot air brushes etc) are not allowed on board

We have cruised with MSC several times and are gold loyalty members

................... and yet you're only discovering this now :confused: :rolleyes:

Such a shame you've never posted of previous experiences onboard, which must have been favourable considering you've sailed "several times" with MSC - ho hum.

Edited by Beamafar

Is this what they're referring to as far as "in the Terms & Conditions" goes, I wonder:

Voltage

Electricity on board all ships is supplied at a voltage of 110/220 V in the stateroom. Guests may request electrical outlet adapters from the Information Office.

Please note that no heat-generating devices (like electric kettles, bottle warmer for babies, electric blanket, etc.) are allowed onboard.

BEWARE

Come on MSC be real!

Life is so hard :rolleyes::rolleyes: By the way same rule on any other cruise line. Plus just birng what you want .no one care.

BEWARE

Come on MSC be real!

Yes many mainline cruise lines have similar restrictions . I know Holland America , Princess and Celebrity have similar restrictions on straighteners hot air brushes etc. It is written into the Passage Contract (Most people agree to but don't read).

Pretty sure all cruise lines prohibit warming devices like hair straighteners, but not well enforced, as I always carried mine....I did not during my MSC cruise because I decided not to worry about my hair during my vacation. It was up in a pony tail during the days and I used a round brush and hair product at night during formals mainly just for pics (which I never even bought anyway)...

I embraced my curls and waves...:D

Put them in your carry on or handbag, or purse for our USA readers. what next no adapters for recharging mobile/cell phones, cameras or tablets !

Agree - have taken curling tongs and even travel irons in my carry on without issue on Princess/MSC/RCI

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Put them in your carry on or handbag, or purse for our USA readers. what next no adapters for recharging mobile/cell phones, cameras or tablets !

Don't be giving them ideas, Dave :eek:

I brought a travel iron onboard once, not knowing that they weren't allowed. I wouldn't bring one now as I can see the hazard it can pose. The biggest fear onboard is a fire breaking out.

Don't be giving them ideas, Dave :eek:

I brought a travel iron onboard once, not knowing that they weren't allowed. I wouldn't bring one now as I can see the hazard it can pose. The biggest fear onboard is a fire breaking out.

But is there really any difference between travel iron and tongs? Of course passengers need to be responsible and turn electrical items off but banning hair dryers is surely a bit much? I'd get better results standing under a bright light than using cabin hairdryer

Of course passengers need to be responsible and turn electrical items off but banning hair dryers is surely a bit much? I'd get better results standing under a bright light than using cabin hairdryer

I'd prefer not to put my faith or trust in other passengers' sense of responsibilty. As for the hair dryer provided, it works fine for me. I've never had any problems with it.

Edited by Beamafar

I'd prefer not to put my faith or trust in other passengers' sense of responsibilty. As for the hair dryer provided, it works fine for me. I've never had any problems with it.

Yes you're right - I'd rather not carry a hairdryer but the one provided just doesn't do the job - dries but doesn't style so you need the tongs :)

Well I also mange fine with the cabin hairdryer.

I used to take hair straighteners without any problem and always unplugged them, allowed them to cool and put them away before leaving my cabin.

Now I get a nano keratin blow dry a couple of times a year and no hair straighteners required any more.

Bit of a melodramatic post though. These are often banned items and plenty of folk manage just fine to have an enjoyable cruise. It's a safety issue not one to force people to the hair dressers. I've been sailing with them for 11 years and they've always had a hairdresser onboard so it's not a new thing to try to force you down that route.

My flat iron made it onto the Divina in my checked bag on June 25th. Our power strip in our carry on luggage was confiscated (we got it back as we disembarked) so I am not sure it made it because I checked it or it was because it was allowed. The blow dryer in our YC cabin was actually better than other cruise line hair dryers I have used in the past! Maybe one of you should pack the flat iron in your carry on and one in your checked bag, hopefully one will get it on board! If not leave yourself 5 minutes to pick it up when you disembark!

Edited by musik07

Our power strip in our carry on luggage was confiscated (we got it back as we disembarked) so I am not sure it made it because I checked it or it was because it was allowed.

Thanks for this info regarding the power strip too. May I ask if it was a plain power strip or a surge protector? I know on NCL, you're not supposed to use surge protectors due to the possibility of causing a fire so just wondering. We usually take both on our travels but we can eliminate one if it's not allowed on the ship.

Cheers,

I don't understand why your daughter needs a hair straightening iron. Can she not just get a Brazilian blowout at a local salon prior to the cruise? it lasts 10 - 12 weeks. If she doesn't want to do that, then all she needs is a blow dryer and round brushes (large and small) to make her hair straight - here's how to do that:

Honestly, these hair straightening irons are very damaging to hair and completely unnecessary when you can accomplish the same exact thing with the right brushes, hair products and a blow dryer. BTW, the blow dryers on MSC are good and usually located at the desk inside the cabin - NOT in the bathroom.

BEWARE

Come on MSC be real!

This is nothing new.

I think there was a thread like this a few months ago and it was settled that curling irons were allowed. I have not heard of any other cruise line banning curling irons (or hair dryers either). Traveling irons, yes.

I have very fine hair. I need a curling iron .... and a lot of hair spray.;)

Edited by mafig

I took my straightener on Divina in May no problem. However if you have long hair another option is the salt water spray that gives you a beachy hair style. Use on wet hair dry au natural and looks like you have been in the surf!