Voice of the Ocean time commitment

liusinthesun

Has anyone participated in the Voice of the Ocean competition on Princess Cruises? Do you know how much of a time commitment it is if you make it to the end?

I would like to participate, I think it sounds fun! I am worried about the time that I will have to commit to it though. I don't want to miss out on the time I get to have with my family and in ports.

Any information is helpful! Thanks!

Has anyone participated in the Voice of the Ocean competition on Princess Cruises? Do you know how much of a time commitment it is if you make it to the end?

I would like to participate, I think it sounds fun! I am worried about the time that I will have to commit to it though. I don't want to miss out on the time I get to have with my family and in ports.

Any information is helpful! Thanks!

Audition is during karaoke, the first two nights of the cruise. Once chosen as a finalist, you are given a list of songs to choose from, you get to pick two songs which you’ll rehearse with the band and then decide which of the two you’ll perform at the finals. This rehearsal is about an hour. (7 or 8 contestants singing 2 songs each) I cant remember if there is another rehearsal before the day of the show.

On the day of the show you will have a tech rehearsal where you’ll sing with the band on stage and walk through how the show runs, this is another hour. The show itself runs 45 minutes. It’s fun, and they usually have a nice spread of coffee, tea and munchies for the rehearsals. For the show, they had champagne and snacks backstage for us.

You can bring your spouse or significant other to the rehearsals, and they’ll reserve some seats in the front row for your guests. It’s fun, and they treat you well. It’s an absolute pleasure to sing with the band.

We didn’t find that it interfered with any other aspects of our cruise at all.

http://

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

Last March ‘17 we were on a California Coastal on the Grand with some friends. Our friend John competed in the VotO and won! It was a lot of fun following his progress and going to the different stages. It didn’t interfere with any port activities. The final celebration party for the finalists was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last March ‘17 we were on a California Coastal on the Grand with some friends. Our friend John competed in the VotO and won! It was a lot of fun following his progress and going to the different stages. It didn’t interfere with any port activities. The final celebration party for the finalists was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds great. I hope I get as far as John!

• 1 month later...

My daughter and her new husband will be honeymooning on the Crown Princes in June. She is a Voice Major and is looking forward to participating on the Voice of the Ocean. In this mom's humble opinion, she is very good! But, is being a trained singer going to hinder her? Are they looking for the silly, awful "bad" singers for the entertainment value? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

My daughter and her new husband will be honeymooning on the Crown Princes in June. She is a Voice Major and is looking forward to participating on the Voice of the Ocean. In this mom's humble opinion, she is very good! But, is being a trained singer going to hinder her? Are they looking for the silly, awful "bad" singers for the entertainment value? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

I majored in voice at a conservatory and sang professionally for 20 years when I was younger, I just didn’t volunteer that information to anyone. (Not that it should matter anyway)

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

The couple of times I have seen the Voice of the Ocean, they went for the "better" singers, not silly ones. Although, on one occasion, they seemed to give extra votes to a young girl - maybe 13 or so years old or even younger. I felt the runners up were much better (just my opinion).

Ditto

Good singers, singing popular known songs to karaoke tracks get selected by the passengers during the during the selection round(s).

The 7 to 8 selected then rehearse with the Princess Orchestra, usually 3 times. You must select from the list of about 300 abbreviated songs , approx. 150 each normally male or female. Most are pop songs old and newer.

During the show good singers get chosen by the judges, ship entertainers and staff. The judges have their backs to the performer, so any entertainment value beyond singing is not really noticed.

The audience selects the winner from those selected by the judges.

Passengers seem to like known songs done well.

I have seen the Voice maybe 10 times. Probably My Way, or some other Sinatra or Elvis song was performed by the winner more then half the time.

• 2 months later...

I competed in it recently on the Sea Princess. It's all about having a great voice and from my experience the coaches focus mainly on that aspect. I'm not a trained singer but viewed the opportunity to perform with a great band in front of a packed theatre to be the highlight. The contestants know backstage who is with what coach so later performers are able to make a better strategic choice of coach. But if your daughter has a great voice then that's irrelevant. In the end the person with the best voice wins. Hope your daughter enters because it's simply a lot of fun!

Her vocal training will help her, not hurt at all. We were pleased with the quality of all of the on stage performers, but there is no question that some were better than others. I don't agree that it is totally about the voice though. The selection of coach that the contestant makes can play a huge role. On our last cruise, all three of the singers that I felt were the best opted for the same coach; thus only one could be a finalist.

View it as an opportunity and not as a real competition and she'll have a blast.

I've seen the voice 4 times now......first........ as part of the audience make sure when entering the theater to trade your cruise card for a "voting machine" there is a limited amount. Since you give up your card, if you want a drink get it before hand.

The first 2 times I saw the Voice of the Ocean was when it first came out...and the singers were let's just say much to be desired.

Fast forward to April & May of this year what a difference...on our April, Ruby Pacific Coastal there were 2 repeat singers, so I think some just cruise to participate. The winner was a 17 year old guy frm LA dressed in a suit singing My WAY.

However, on our Alaska cruise 3 weeks ago the participates all were first time cruisers, the winner was from Wisconsin, when one judge said it obvious you have had professional experience the guy who was about 35, dressed in jeans and a t-shirt truly looked dumbfounded and responded, he sings just for fun. He sang Superstitious.

All the times I have seen it men have been the winners.

I did met a couple of women who were singers in musical theater on the Pacific Coastal and were not selected as finalists...there were 10 finalists 1 women 9 men and 6 women 4 men on my last 2 cruises.

I never went to any of the primarily rounds so I don't how the selection are made.

Her vocal training will help her' date=' not hurt at all. We were pleased with the quality of all of the on stage performers, but there is no question that some were better than others. I don't agree that it is totally about the voice though. The selection of coach that the contestant makes can play a huge role. On our last cruise, all three of the singers that I felt were the best opted for the same coach; thus only one could be a finalist.

View it as an opportunity and not as a real competition and she'll have a blast.[/quote']

Agree! As an early performer, I thought that being towards the end of the list provided the opportunity for a strategic selection of coach. However in hindsight it's a choice the contestant makes based on their own perceptions only, not those of the audience hence maybe why you felt the best were with the one coach. Correct, it's not for sheep stations and shouldn't take it too seriously but rather simply get out there and enjoy the experience.

I've seen the voice 4 times now......first........ as part of the audience make sure when entering the theater to trade your cruise card for a "voting machine" there is a limited amount. Since you give up your card, if you want a drink get it before hand.

The first 2 times I saw the Voice of the Ocean was when it first came out...and the singers were let's just say much to be desired.

Fast forward to April & May of this year what a difference...on our April, Ruby Pacific Coastal there were 2 repeat singers, so I think some just cruise to participate. The winner was a 17 year old guy frm LA dressed in a suit singing My WAY.

However, on our Alaska cruise 3 weeks ago the participates all were first time cruisers, the winner was from Wisconsin, when one judge said it obvious you have had professional experience the guy who was about 35, dressed in jeans and a t-shirt truly looked dumbfounded and responded, he sings just for fun. He sang Superstitious.

All the times I have seen it men have been the winners.

I did met a couple of women who were singers in musical theater on the Pacific Coastal and were not selected as finalists...there were 10 finalists 1 women 9 men and 6 women 4 men on my last 2 cruises.

I never went to any of the primarily rounds so I don't how the selection are made.

There were 3 lady and 5 men finalists on our recent Sea Princess cruise. All 3 ladies ended up being the coaches choices. Selection of coach was a big factor but I felt in the end the person with the best voice won fair and square. Primary rounds were held in the Vista Lounge and selections were purely based on the first 8 from audience votes held over two nights. With a larger audience the second night there were many who had a second go to improve their chance of getting selected.

says the twice or is it 3 time winner;);)

So true about song choice!

Staying healthy and avoid catching a cold is also a big factor - not always easy to do on a longish cruise (personal experience). No amount of vocal training will help inflamed vocal chords.

The couple of times I have seen the Voice of the Ocean, they went for the "better" singers, not silly ones. Although, on one occasion, they seemed to give extra votes to a young girl - maybe 13 or so years old or even younger. I felt the runners up were much better (just my opinion).

Prices are small and the voting is subjective.

In a ship board competition I saw one judge out of four give a zero for one team. Turns out she was the wife of a member of another team.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a REALITY show, and we all know how real they are. For us, the auditions were not during karaoke, but over two nights in their own venue. Contestants could try out on both nights. The audience voted for the finalists and got it mostly right. It did help if you brought a group of friends to cheer and vote. Time commitment was about three hours total. Mentors were the ship's performers and they were actually quite helpful. Some of those trying out were professionals (the over-40 guy that I thought did the best during mentorship makes a good living in a band that tours, and was excellent.) The show itself was funny and entertaining. It's a complete set-up. Two of the three "judges" turn around for each person. They have their jokes pretty well laid out beforehand, and they set the order based on their choice of who they want to crown. The questions they ask will give you a clue. The contestants choose their judges; basically they're deciding who they want to go up against for voting in the final three. The later the choice, the better.

Voting doesn't matter. I doubt the clickers even have batteries, and they were passed out to pretty much the first 75 people in (no cruise card required), and then they "ran out." The winner had already been picked and the name was in an envelope before "voting" begins. As SKnight wrote, sometimes it's the best singer, sometimes it isn't. For ours, the 3rd best "won." She had a large group of loud, drinking, cheering women at karaoke, both tryout nights, and the finale. She had a decent voice. There were two men that were much better singers, but they did not have the same entertainment value that she did.

Overall, worth doing if you go into it with realistic expectations. It's for fun. It shouldn't really be billed as a competition. No finalists party for our crew; that would have been nice.

(No, I don't sing, but someone in our party did it [not the pro]).

Edited by WAMarathoner

It's a REALITY show, and we all know how real they are. For us, the auditions were not during karaoke, but over two nights in their own venue. Contestants could try out on both nights. The audience voted for the finalists and got it mostly right. It did help if you brought a group of friends to cheer and vote. Time commitment was about three hours total. Mentors were the ship's performers and they were actually quite helpful. Some of those trying out were professionals (the over-40 guy that I thought did the best during mentorship makes a good living in a band that tours, and was excellent.) The show itself was funny and entertaining. It's a complete set-up. Two of the three "judges" turn around for each person. They have their jokes pretty well laid out beforehand, and they set the order based on their choice of who they want to crown. The questions they ask will give you a clue. The contestants choose their judges; basically they're deciding who they want to go up against for voting in the final three. The later the choice, the better.

Voting doesn't matter. I doubt the clickers even have batteries, and they were passed out to pretty much the first 75 people in (no cruise card required), and then they "ran out." The winner had already been picked and the name was in an envelope before "voting" begins. As SKnight wrote, sometimes it's the best singer, sometimes it isn't. For ours, the 3rd best "won." She had a large group of loud, drinking, cheering women at karaoke, both tryout nights, and the finale. She had a decent voice. There were two men that were much better singers, but they did not have the same entertainment value that she did.

Overall, worth doing if you go into it with realistic expectations. It's for fun. It shouldn't really be billed as a competition. No finalists party for our crew; that would have been nice.

(No, I don't sing, but someone in our party did it [not the pro]).

I’m gonna call BS on most of what you say, but I will add that it’s predetermined which judges turn for each contestant, and no, it’s not always two, it’s sometimes one and sometimes all three. I saw a sheet backstage which showed which judges would turn for each singer. Voting does indeed count.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Say what you want. That's what happened on our cruise. Don't understand which part you don't believe. That the winner was pre-determined? The assistant cruise director had the envelope announcing the winner in her hand before the "voting" started. I was in the front row near her and did not lose sight of her the whole time. Our guests arrived after about 50 others and were told there were no more voting machines available.

Again, it was worth doing once for the experience. But it's a typical reality show.

Say what you want. That's what happened on our cruise. Don't understand which part you don't believe. That the winner was pre-determined? The assistant cruise director had the envelope announcing the winner in her hand before the "voting" started. I was in the front row near her and did not lose sight of her the whole time. Our guests arrived after about 50 others and were told there were no more voting machines available.

Again, it was worth doing once for the experience. But it's a typical reality show.

First of all, it's not a reality show, it's a talent contest.

I've participated 4 times. The only thing I've seen that is questionable is that it's predetermined which judges turn around.

I spoke with someone involved in the production and they stated that they do this to prevent having a contestant not have a single judge turn around. The last thing they want to do is embarrass a paying guest. The judges also are told to only say nice things, again, to make your paying guest feel good.

I've seen a staff member write down the results of the voting, place it in an envelope and hand it to another crew member to bring out on stage. I have video of the same. When contestants can choose which coach they want to team up with, you can't predetermine a winner like you state. I've won twice, been a finalist a 3rd time and stood in the wings yet another time. I've seen the show from all angles. I'm sorry, but whatever you think you saw the emcee holding, was not the name of a predetermined winner.