Can you have lunch in dining room on embarkation day?

billy10

Yes you can, but they usually stop seating in the dining room at 1:00.

Which is interesting considering that in many cases boarding doesn't officially begin until 1 PM

Which is interesting considering that in many cases boarding doesn't officially begin until 1 PM

It is funny how they post the boarding time as 1 PM (generally) in the documents we get, but most times it starts around 11:30 AM.

That is true, but it is a fact. They like to clear the dining room from lunch service to prepare for dinner, especially on embarkation day since it’s a little hectic the first night getting new cruisers seated for first seating. But in most cases, HAL will start boarding at noon, so if you want to eat in the MDR, I’d recommend checking in early.

• 2 weeks later...
So even if you are not a Mariner - a first time HAL cruiser - you can eat in the MDR on embarkation? Just want to be clear!

Most of the time, yes. It has been reported to happen where a large number of Mariners onboard has resulted in only them being allowed in but that is quite rare.

that's been on the HAL boarding pass for as long as I can remember. It's just not a fact of life in most ports (including Europe).

The "official" time is when they allow people to register and that's often around 11:00 or 11:30 AM.

Of course, that's just my experience ;)

So even if you are not a Mariner - a first time HAL cruiser - you can eat in the MDR on embarkation? Just want to be clear!

You do not have to be a Mariner,

On the gangway, they try hard to direct as many as they can to Lido. If one doesn't know to check re; mdr, it is possible they may have no idea there is usually lunch in MDR available.

You do not have to be a Mariner,

On the gangway, they try hard to direct as many as they can to Lido. If one doesn't know to check re; mdr, it is possible they may have no idea there is usually lunch in MDR available.

This is exactly what we’ve found. You do not need to be a Mariner to dine in the MDR. They don’t check your key card on embarkation day. And, yes, if you ask a crew member where lunch is being served, they will initially direct you to Lido. But just say that you want the main dining room where they are serving lunch and they’ll send you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

New to Hal just wondering if I can have lunch in dining room on embarkation day. Thanks for any info

We were on the Volendam last month, and ate in the MDR at noon, just after boarding. We did hear them turn people away who were not Mariners (had not sailed with HAL yet).

It makes a lovely, quiet spot to eat lunch on that first day. There were very few of us in there. Excellent food and service. Sorry that first-timers couldn’t enjoy it too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is lunch that much better in the MDR vs. Lido?

Not necessarily, but for some yes.

It's more of a different ambience IMO.

MDR is quieter than the Lido and, of course you are served.

Is the Lido the only option for lunch on embarkation day for first timers if the MDR turns out to be restricted? (We'll be on the Zuiderdam, if that matters.) Thanks in advance!

There also is the Dive In, burgers and hot dogs, along with a Taco Bar in the Lido pool area. Very good food IMO.

With the excitement and joy of going on a cruise even though we are 4 star mariners we have never gone to the MDR on embarkation. There is enough food in and around the Lido to satisfy us. We know the MDR lunch is available, but are just happy to get on the ship and start cruising.

The Lido is actually quite good, so if you can’t get into the MDR, I’m sure you’ll find some great choices. And if you like burgers or hot dogs, the Dive In is wonderful! Cooked to order and lots of toppings with great fries!

Sent from my iPad using Forums