Fold or Roll

emam

So with many of you having lots of cruises under your belt, how do you go about your packing. Do you fold your clothes or roll them, or do you follow the Americans and use packing cubes.

If there is two of you, do you each have your own cases, or do you mix each others cases. Having just recently returned from a privately arranged Battlefield bus tour where a case went missing, has decided us to mix our cases so that if one goes missing we at least have some clothes. Someone on here also, recently had a similar experience of a case going missing.

All of our formal clothes though are going in one case, so if that goes missing we will just have to miss the formal nights.

I know of the tip of putting socks in shoes, but does anyone have any other special ways of packing. For instance how do you pack liquids, meaning lotions, sprays etc.

Also do any of you use some sort of wrinkle release spray that the Americans talk about.

Edited by emam
Writing size

Packing cubes all the way! His and hers, then split into two cases so we both have some of everything. Takes a bit longer to pack but far less creased as the items don’t move in the case. Added fact is you can just place in drawers when you get there without unpacking them and use items directly from cubes. I love them.

It depends a lot whether you are sailing Southampton round trip or not. If you are, a couple of cases each seems reasonable. Sharing as a couple is somewhat contentious if you are flying which adds to the likelihood of a case going missing particularly with indirect flights.

I take two cases per person when not flying and if flying is involved an upgrade sorts baggage issues out. Folding things up and putting shoes and liquids in sealed plastic bags.

Regards John

Our last cruise was 18 nights. I take one case and my husband has one large suitcase and a suit carrier. I still came home with stuff I didn't wear. I fold my clothes and as I only pack the day before, they are hardly creased. I can't believe the number of cases some people take. I've never heard of a packing cube?

Hi....I always fold and pack " best stuff" with tissue the night before. I always divide everything between two suitcases including formal wear so that if a case goes missing we have something for every occasion....including underwear & nightwear. Never had a problem with creasing but if they did crease I would use the iron provided in the Launderette.

I've never heard of a packing cube?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Packing-Organizers/b?ie=UTF8&node=1769603031

If you are travelling and staying at a series of different hotels they are absolutely brilliant. By folding a shirt or two in each together with other items you need for those days, it is far easier to find in your suitcase and you can only unpack that one cube for that night or two. The rest can remain packed and counter-intuitively remain far less creased than if they had been normally packed in the suitcase.

Also helpful to maintain one as a 'go bag' of things you only ever need on holiday, so you leave it packed and throw it in every time you go away and can't forget something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Packing-Organizers/b?ie=UTF8&node=1769603031

If you are travelling and staying at a series of different hotels they are absolutely brilliant. By folding a shirt or two in each together with other items you need for those days, it is far easier to find in your suitcase and you can only unpack that one cube for that night or two. The rest can remain packed and counter-intuitively remain far less creased than if they had been normally packed in the suitcase.

Also helpful to maintain one as a 'go bag' of things you only ever need on holiday, so you leave it packed and throw it in every time you go away and can't forget something.

Another vote for packing cubes! They mean items (e g underwear etc)are kept together in the suitcase and the bag just goes straight onto the shelf in the wardrobe.We use them for undies, t shirts, toiletries ,swimming stuff etcThings don t slide about the suitcase and it makes it quicker to unpack.

I have to admit, apart from small items, I can’t see any value for using packing cubes. We always travel from Southampton, cases are always full so no chance of clothes moving around! I am a roller, since I saw a video a few years ago, and roll most clothes now. If any get creases it’s usually minor, and hanging over the bath with the shower on, fixes most. Hubbys dress shirt though... I drew a line at that on the last cruise, so that now goes down for professional pressing!!!

Hi....as I said earlier I can't see a problem... if by chance anything does crease on P&O ships there is a launderette on every floor complete with iron...no probs. My hubby's dress shirt is a non iron one so requires very little " maintenance"

Never taken more than 1 suitcase per person whether fly-cruise or ex Southampton because with four of us we can't fit more than four large suitcases in the car boot. Individual cases if sailing from S'oton, mixed if fly cruising. Roll things like undies, socks, T-shirts and tuck them into nook and crannies, fold smarter wear. Lotions/liquids/creams always in plastic bags. Shoes always in the bottom of the case, stuffed with socks and surrounded by small items such as belts, clips for sun lounger towels, sun cream, etc. My dad taught me to do alternate horizontal/vertical layers so you don't end up with lumps and bumps.

We just use the plastic bag method! Just pack undies,swimwear,T shirts etc in clean bags for life,then carry straight from case to drawer! Also handy when on road trips as easier to find things!

Eve

Going off at a tangent...but useful. If you are travelling as a couple always split your credit/ bank cards until you get on board. I for example will carry my & my wife’s bank card while she will carry her own & my credit card (both joint accounts). The logic is that if one of us loses our wallet/purse we can stop that card ( both Mr & Mrs) leaving us with a second account which is not stopped. If the cards were distributed normally then if one of us lost our wallet or purse then both accounts would have to be stopped.

When we went on our first cruise we had to buy some new cases. As we were travelling to Southampton by coach I checked their website to see what we were allowed to take. They stipulated sizes for the cases, most of the cases we looked at were just a tad bit bigger than what they said we could take. So we ended up buying lots of smaller cases. We also got one of those suit bags that is more like a case.

We took so many clothes that most of them came back unworn and what we did wear we washed and wore again.

I did buy a few packing cubes, but they seem as if they take up so much room, that so far they have only been used to store the clothes while at home.There have however been some good points mentioned on here for using them.

So far we have gone down the rolling route, then folding the last few at the top of the case. I don't know whether we have just cut down so much on the clothes we take or whether rolling them takes up less room, but the cases haven't been full and we have taken two less. At least it gives us more room to bring things we have bought back home.

I am going to add an extra small bag into the case, so that we can use it on disembarkation day (clothes off the previous night, nightwear and toiletries). I thought that if I put a tag on it, when we get to the bus it can go in with the cases. I also thought of a bag, as it can hang over the handle and rest on top of one of the cases. I have read somewhere though, I think it was in our personalised book that you have to use locked cases. Has anyone travelling on a coach ever put a bag in with the cases.

When we went on our first cruise we had to buy some new cases. As we were travelling to Southampton by coach I checked their website to see what we were allowed to take. They stipulated sizes for the cases, most of the cases we looked at were just a tad bit bigger than what they said we could take. So we ended up buying lots of smaller cases. We also got one of those suit bags that is more like a case.

We took so many clothes that most of them came back unworn and what we did wear we washed and wore again.

I did buy a few packing cubes, but they seem as if they take up so much room, that so far they have only been used to store the clothes while at home.There have however been some good points mentioned on here for using them.

So far we have gone down the rolling route, then folding the last few at the top of the case. I don't know whether we have just cut down so much on the clothes we take or whether rolling them takes up less room, but the cases haven't been full and we have taken two less. At least it gives us more room to bring things we have bought back home.

I am going to add an extra small bag into the case, so that we can use it on disembarkation day (clothes off the previous night, nightwear and toiletries). I thought that if I put a tag on it, when we get to the bus it can go in with the cases. I also thought of a bag, as it can hang over the handle and rest on top of one of the cases. I have read somewhere though, I think it was in our personalised book that you have to use locked cases. Has anyone travelling on a coach ever put a bag in with the cases.

We’ve put holdalls in with the cases on the coach with no problem

We’ve put holdalls in with the cases on the coach with no problem

That's good as it will give us more room in our seats. We did try putting one case out late at night with our clothes we wore for dinner. When we went to pick the cases up after disembarking, it took us ages to find that case.

By the time you have all of you gadgets, cameras etc, passports and whatever else you normally carry around, I found that the toiletries bags take up a lot of room along with everything you have used on the night before and the morning, So will be pleased to get them from under our feet.

That's good as it will give us more room in our seats. We did try putting one case out late at night with our clothes we wore for dinner. When we went to pick the cases up after disembarking, it took us ages to find that case.

We put matching pom-poms on our cases. It makes then easier to find and sometimes the people in the baggage hall group them together.

Hi - just picked up this thread - something hubby and I always do when we go away - and some of you are going to say Really ? or screw up your face in horror - but we take old underwear and socks (with a supply of nappy sacks) (and sometimes old tee shirts to wear on expected sweaty days !) to wear and then disguard them ... less to carry home and a good excuse to buy new ! and less washing too ..... I also take a see through over the door shoe hanger to put toiletries etc in in the bathroom - always limited shelf space - it works - sorry if I've offended anyone !

I used packing cubes earlier this year on a Caribbean cruise. Fantastic that I could put my overnight and embarkation wear into an easy to grab cube at the top of the case. I rolled everything and fitted loads in. Even used them last month on a 2 night mini cruise. I was sceptical but am converted!

I use packing cubes and I also have a folding board for my shirts, works a treat.

Looking forward to P&O next year where I can use an iron, takes ages to pack for Celebrity as you have to be really really careful - no irons allowed on their ships.

I find packing cubes make unpacking easier too, lift out each cube and take them to where you need to put your things away.

Looks like cubes is something to look further into. We do have some small zip up bags which I can fit my shoes into (size 4), they also have a small zip bag which goes over the top of the shoes and can be used for jewellery or hankies etc. I put my bag on top of this. Also in the top there is some stitched pockets, small flameless candles fit in those (we put them in the bathroom on a night, inside cabin) or again jewellery/cufflinks.

Hubby uses his for shoe cleaning kit. I suppose they are similar to cubes but more for smaller items. Swimming gear, socks etc would fit in.

I suppose cubes would help the previous conversation on another thread about putting things in draws.

I use packing cubes and I also have a folding board for my shirts, works a treat.

Looking forward to P&O next year where I can use an iron, takes ages to pack for Celebrity as you have to be really really careful - no irons allowed on their ships.

I find packing cubes make unpacking easier too, lift out each cube and take them to where you need to put your things away.

Where did you get your board from. We looked but either couldn't find one or they were expensive, so bought a rigid plastic chopping board. It does the job.