great tip

cherryharley

When getting off the elevators on the Coral Princess, I was always confused which way I was supposed to turn to get to the starboard side. My steward showed me a great tip I'd never noticed. Look at the carpet in each hall. They are not the same. We were on the orange side. Easy Peasy!

20180529_164821.jpg.0a523e79d7bc14c0fdbbe7e723775047.jpg

20180529_164836.jpg.2efd140f7eb5fa3f738debc8569e5542.jpg

When getting off the elevators on the Coral Princess, I was always confused which way I was supposed to turn to get to the starboard side. My steward showed me a great tip I'd never noticed. Look at the carpet in each hall. They are not the same. We were on the orange side. Easy Peasy!

That has been a very easy way to avoid confusion. However, as carpets are replaced, this color difference is not being repeated on other ships.

Would be nice if they would put a sign on the wall as you got off the elevators showing Port /Starboard sides. That is Left/Right when facing forward for all those who do not know. Seems like a simple fleetwide solution.

Would be nice if they would put a sign on the wall as you got off the elevators showing Port /Starboard sides. That is Left/Right when facing forward for all those who do not know. Seems like a simple fleetwide solution.

I'm pretty sure that every Princess ship we've been on has a ship map on the corridor wall of both sides of the elevator lobby. Granted you have to take a couple of steps to see it but you can't miss it (although I have managed to do that occasionally when over confident about knowing where to go clear.png?emoji-grin-1677) when deciding which direction to turn for your room.

For most Princess ships when you get off of the elevators the bank of elevators are facing forward. In this cast you would always turn to the right to get to get to the Starboard hallway. The Panoramic Lifts are opposite from this so you would turn left when exiting. Now the Coral Princess is one exception where the mid-ship elevators face to the stern just like the Panoramic Lifts. When I’m on a Princess ship I visualize the floor plan in my head and I have no trouble in getting places. My wife on the other hand has to think about which way to turn every time we get off of an elevator.

Better to just have the sign say odd or even numbered cabins. Many people will have no idea if their cabin is on the starboard or port side.

One nice thing on NCL is the fish in the carpet always swim forward

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Certainly back in the day on the Gem class NCL ships the corridor carpet had fish swimming in it, all going forward except one fish which was swimming the other way.

That fish swimming the other way was meant to represent NCL who did things differently, like anytime dining, lack of compulsory formal dress nights etc.

We were on a newer NCL ship this year and there were no fish in the carpet.

Certainly back in the day on the Gem class NCL ships the corridor carpet had fish swimming in it, all going forward except one fish which was swimming the other way.

That fish swimming the other way was meant to represent NCL who did things differently, like anytime dining, lack of compulsory formal dress nights etc.

We were on a newer NCL ship this year and there were no fish in the carpet.

Maybe a result of climate change?

I've never paid attention to carpet color, all these years of cruising, 6 different lines, haven't thought about it. I rather enjoy going the wrong way, having to back track, extra exercise! I rarely use the elevators and by the time I'm in the stairwell, I know which direction I'm going! :) In March, I was on the Emerald 30 days, used the elevator twice!

Better to just have the sign say odd or even numbered cabins. Many people will have no idea if their cabin is on the starboard or port side.

Then try - turn right for odd numbered cabins - Left for even. No sign needed. Usually works this way, but I haven’t been on every ship.

Edited by MTNestr

IOn the Sapphire refit in March they replaced the carpets and you will see small red dots in the pattern on the port side (left facing the front) and small green dots on the Starboard side (Right side facing the front)

After a confusing day, the green and red dots were pointed out to us on the Star and we were no longer confused!!

They have a sign that says this in each elevator vestibule ... plus, starboard / port. Problem solved.

Always found this but the new ships have the same colour both sides now