Do Princess hold photography talks?

Scorpio41

We are both experienced photographers but enjoy going to photography classes. We consider them refresher courses and there is always something to learn from a fellow photographers perspective.

I just wondered if Princess does anything like this?

I wouldn't expect much. They're frequently rather vague and targeted at the people who bought a camera for the sake of their cruise, probably just took it out of the box before boarding, and left the manual at home.

I've been to one. It was about the GoPro and I found it interesting. Of course, there was a mild sales pitch..."we sell them on the ship" kind of pitch.

There are other topics. I saw one that seemed to include walking around the ship since they were standing outside a meeting room while the photog talked.

Only one I have seen lately is a how to use a GoPro series of slide presentations. Not bad, and highlighted capabilities of different units.

Edited by LeeW
more

Iv'e seen them offered a couple of time on cruises longer than 5-7 days. They are VERY BASIC, people show up with phones, iPads, point-and-shoots, and DSLRs with $1,000+ lenses. Some talk about lighting others about posing; heads should be tilted up to avoid that turkey neck.

If you are experienced photographers go to the class (usually on a sea day where activities are limited) to meet and mingle if nothing else. You might find someone with a lens that you have been considering or you can help give advice to the beginners. It is usually only one, maybe two, Princess photographers so they can get overwhelmed with question on menu settings etc. They shoot with Nikon and that is what they know best.

Yes you will probably be given a tour of the Platinum Studio and offered an opportunity to sign up for a sitting. No pressure, just information. The GoPro lectures on the other hand are done almost completely by using GoPro provided Powerpoint presentations and video clips. If you have a question about the GoPro cameras (sold on board) they are fairly knowledgeable about settings and operation.

It is hit or miss and probably depends upon the length of the cruise. The are typically two classes, one very basic first class that for some people with smart phones was not basic enough [emoji849] and a second class with some more information. I did it once and after the first class, passengers were encouraged to take photos experimenting with different shutter speeds, aperture settings and framing. At the second class the instructor reviewed and commented on some of the results.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been to multiple and it depends on the photography staff. We have found some to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable, others not so much.

Have never been pushed into purchasing a photo package or a GoPro during one of the sessions.

We are both experienced photographers but enjoy going to photography classes. We consider them refresher courses and there is always something to learn from a fellow photographers perspective.

I just wondered if Princess does anything like this?

Yes. Beginner and advanced 1 hour seminars. But they are very basic seminars. Mainly for the Smarrt phone.tablet, P&S/ always shoot on Auto camera shooters.

What kind of camera(s) do you shoot with?

Do you shoot RAW?

Also, a couple seminars on GoPro. You can rent GoPro’s for the day, and take for a “test drive”.

Good luck.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Some years ago we had a fantastic group of ship photographers and there talks were very interesting and informative.

The more recent ones have been pretty poor and as you say mediocre.

We go to pass the time and sometimes you do pick up something useful. We both have dslr’s so don’t expect to learn or need to learn about the camera per say but it looking to take a picture from a new perspective, seeing how another person views the scene.

I got off the Coral in May (Panama Canal) and they had 3 photography classes. I attended the first one. It was very basic. My sister (who love to take photos) went to the next 2 and said they learned all sort of stuff and kind of answered questions and based the lecture on what people wanted to learn.(she said last class there was 3 of them-3 people in the class)

We did the Caribbean Princess and attended two great classes by the ship's photographer, Giovanni. He was very smart and tailored the class to the dozen or so participants, most of whom were quite experienced. All based on DSLR. Best part was getting to use HIS camera to try some of the lighting techniques. So, yes, I thought it was well worth it.

I would call myself an experienced photographer. I attended ONE talk that was very simplistic. Shutter speeds to catch action, aperture for depth of field etc. I think it was scheduled for an hour. A few plus myself left 15 minutes in, Not saying it was bad, just a waste of time.