Star Princess Alaska June 2018 Review

HWFA_IPSN

Hi All,

Just disembarked from the Star Princess, the Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver southbound itinerary. Just thought I would mention a few things while it's on my mind. This was my first time as Platinum, but have experienced all the benefits in the past when sailing with family members who are Elite, so I knew what to expect.

What I enjoyed:

• Food was very good as usual, this includes MDR and Horizon
  • Great itinerary although I would have liked more time in Juneau (3:30pm departure) and Ketchikan (5:30pm departure).
  • North To Alaska enrichment program was great, and guest speakers were fantastic too.

What I didn't like:

• We got really sick and tired of all the advertising for the onboard shops/boutiques.
  • The port talks we went to spent zero time on what was interesting to see and do and was all about which shops to visit, which were pointed out that Princess received a cut
  • Don't get me started on "The Sanctuary"
  • There was no magician, comedian or hypnotist on board. These are normally my favourite shows to attend, so I was a little disappointed.
  • I always look forward to lobster and escargot on the formal night. Unfortunately, instead of a lobster tail, it was actually more like crayfish. Are they saving the lobster for the crown grill passengers instead?

I am overall quite satisfied with the cruise, but this is the first time I've really noticed the high level of advertising and push to spend more and more money on board.

Happy to answer anyones questions or comments.

The scenery is beautiful in Alaska but it is really hard to find a port which isn’t swamped with Diamond International and Del Sol shops. Leaving for a Norwegian fjord Cruise next month and hope not to see the usual shopping ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The scenery is beautiful in Alaska but it is really hard to find a port which isn’t swamped with Diamond International and Del Sol shops. Leaving for a Norwegian fjord Cruise next month and hope not to see the usual shopping ports.

If I ever get the chance to go back, I will definitely aim to get out of town and do more hiking.

I really enjoyed the Lake Dewey Loop in Skagway and the Gold Creek Flume Trail in Juneau.

Thanks for sharing. Did the norovirus outbreak affect much?

In my opinion not really... I've been on ships before where they have instilled these same measures so I wasn't surprised. It was the usual things:

• Can't serve yourself at the buffet
  • No menus anywhere in the ship
  • Some activities were apparently canceled but I wasn't aware which ones
  • There was no galley tour

In the end, it was four our own benefit, and it must have worked, I think there was 14 cases the day before getting off.

Thanks for sharing. We're first-time cruisers heading out on the northbound journey from Vancouver to Whittier in August on the Star Princess. I've been learning a lot of great information on this site that's helping me to learn how to navigate the intricacies of cruising.

A couple of questions related to your comments:

• Regarding the advertising, is this "in your face" like is the case with some all-inclusive resorts? Or can you simply walk by with a "no thanks" or a simple ignore without being hassled any further? I don't mind folks trying to sell things but I despise attempts to trick me or hound me. I'm never rude, of course, but it's irritating.
  • Regarding port talks, you'd recommend skipping these, I'm guessing?
  • Any highlights during your limited time in Ketchikan and Juneau? I think we have a good amount of time in Juneau but our Ketchikan day is 6:30am - 2:30pm. We're hoping to maximize our time there as we hear it's a neat place.
  • Which glaciers/fjords did you experience? Any tips for glacial viewing on cruise days?

Thanks once again!

I can confirm none of those shops in Norway! One of my favorite destinations we have cruised. Enjoy!!

A couple of questions related to your comments:

If it is a talk by a destination expert or guest expert, attend.

If it is a talk by the onboard shopping expert, stay far away.

We made a port stop in Icy Strait Point last year. All the businesses there are locally owned--no Diamonds International, no WalMart. It's a great stop.

Our first AK cruise was almost 30 years ago. I remember that Sitka was a great stop, but we haven't been back, since. So, I don't know if it has been completely "corporatized."

We did an Alaska cruise a few years ago, and went out of our way to find locally owned businesses. Many of them have stickers on their doors identifying themselves as local businesses. Here's a link to a Facebook page for the Made In Alaska program, which while not exactly about locally owned businesses, will get you started.

https://www.facebook.com/buythebear/

We have been to AK several times both on a ship and by air. The constant "sales" on the ship are two different types. There is the never ending sales brochures that we get every day and put in the trash immediately and there are the constant sales usually on deck 7 in the piazza area which can be a pain to have to navigate through the crowd. To us it is no big deal we just ignore them.

There will be port talks by a qualified speaker who will discuss what opportunities exist in the port and are well worth your time. There will always be a port sales talk by a Princess staffer who will cover the shopping opportunities at stores that have paid Princess to promote and they should be avoided like the plague.

If you are on the cruise that goes to Glacier Bay (most likely) the ship will enter the bay and stop. After a period the ship will rotate 180 degrees so the other side of the ship faces the glacier. However most pax go up to the upper exposed decks to watch the glaciers calve (big chunks break off and fall into the sea). That is the absolute best place to go. I can be bitter cold or on our last trip was so warm with the sun out, I wore shorts and a tshirt comfortably.

Just so you know Ketchikan is in a rain forest and gets 200+ inches of rain each year. Will it rain for your visit? Most likely but last AK cruise it did not.

• Regarding the advertising, is this "in your face" ....
  • Any highlights during your limited time in Ketchikan and Juneau? I think we have a good amount of time in Juneau but our Ketchikan day is 6:30am - 2:30pm. We're hoping to maximize our time there as we hear it's a neat place.
  • Which glaciers/fjords did you experience? Any tips for glacial viewing on cruise days?

Thanks once again!

You can avoid the advertising, nothing is forced upon you.

Like others have posted, just find the port talks conducted by an expert, not a princess employee.

Juneau:

• We did the dogsledding on Mendenhall glacier tour - one of the most memorable activities I have ever done.
  • The Gold Creek Flume Trail is an easy 1.5-2 hour walk through the lower forrest. I highly recommend this walk - it was very relaxing and beautiful. If we had more time we would have done the Mt Roberts trail instead. You can find a tourist info office right near the dock and they can give you a map showing where the trail is.

Ketchikan:

• We did the Crab Fisherman tour on the Aleutian Ballad. This was very interesting, especially since I really enjoy the Deadliest Catch tv show.
  • Also just have a walk downtown and along Creek St. If you also go to the tourist office, they have a good map with a nice self guided walk around town.
  • If we had of had more time I would have liked to attempt one of the trails that gets out of town.

Glacier/Fjords:

• We visited Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park - plenty of calving at Hubbard and amazing to see. Get out on the open decks (Star Princess was deck 7/8 & 14/15) normally plenty of room for everyone to get a front row view.
  • Glacier Bay is an all day scenic experience - get out on the decks as much as you can.
  • You don't need a balcony cabin - it was nice to be around our fellow passengers on the open deck.

Enjoy!

I always look forward to lobster and escargot on the formal night. Unfortunately, instead of a lobster tail, it was actually more like crayfish. Are they saving the lobster for the crown grill passengers instead?

Nope, the last time we were in a Crown Grill, the lobster looked like small crayfish or maybe really large shrimp.

The problem may be marketing. The fish industry is calling crayfish (wait for it) Langostino Lobster. That sounds better than crayfish, but it doesn't make it lobster.