Interested in Crystal, boyfriend wants Silverseas

sophiemarigold

My boyfriend loves to cruise and took me on my first--Royal Carribbean--a couple of years ago. It was not a great experience for me: the constant announcements, music blasting everywhere, a soda sticker...definitely not my scene.

My boyfriend has agreed to go on a more luxe line, and we've both been researching.

I love these forums, find them enormously entertaining and informative and think I'd like Crystal--the enrichment aspect particularly appeals to me, as does the luxury aspect and the cuisine.

My boyfriend thinks Silverseas (being all inclusive) offers a better value, but I'm not sure. Some reviews have mentioned not much in the way of enrichment, and some poor dining experiences.

Can anyone lend any insight into our debate?

Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. You have done well to post this on the correct board.

You will find loyal fans for both cruise lines. In the end, you will have to make your own decision that is best for you.

What is common about both of these cruise lines and others in that category of cruising is that they are both Luxury Cruise Lines. As such they will each provide a 5 star+ cruising experience. If these were land hotels think of them as if you are staying at a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons Hotel.

Their are two major differences between the cruise lines.

The ships on Crystal will typically carry around 700-900 passengers each. This can vary plus or minus based on occupancy. With one exception, these Silversea Ships carry 270 and 350 passengers respectively. As such, Crystal can provide many more enrichment programs and many other diverse activiities throughout the day and evening hours. With its smaller ships Silversea and provide more of a country style cruising experience. Related to this Crystal has fixed seating and Silversea has open seating for dinner.

The other difference you noted already which is that Silversea includes wine, and other spirits in their passenger fare and also gratuitities.

You can now offset this difference on Crystal. If you book a cruise with one of the larger travel consortiums (examples include Signature, Virtuoso, Ensemble, American Express and others) they normally include your pre-paid gratuitites.

On many 2009 cruises and on all 2010 cruises, Crystal is now offering a new promotion which is called all inclusive as you wish. The shipboard credit is typically $1,000 per person for 11 day and longer cruises and $500.00 per person for shorter cruises. The philosophy being that all passengers don't necessarily drink much or drink at all so instead by giving you this credit you can use it as you wish. At that level most everyone could cover all of their drinks and still have money for other items. Or, one could use it primarily for spa and salon treatmens, shore excursions, or many other on board purchases.

And in the end remember that nothing is free. If drinks are included it is part of the cruise fare. Same goes for enrichment programs.

My recommendation is threefold.

1. Go to each of the cruise boards to see what people tend to say about each cruise line. Go with 90/10 rule. If 90% of the people have a positive or negative comment about a particular aspect of the cruise line I accept that as being correct until I experience it myself.

2. Read through a brochure on each cruise line and or information on their respective web sites.

3. Pick up a copy of the book the Complete Guide to Cruising Pulbished by Berlitz and written by Douglas Ward. It has a nice writeup on each ship.

What I wouldn't do is open this up to a debate as to which line is best. Because what is best for me is not necessarily best for you. It's no different than saying which car is best; Mercedes, Lexus or BMW. Or which is best Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. Do I have my favorites? Yes. But that doesn't mean those are best for you.

So, there will be some who post who say this is the best. Well for them it is but thank goodness there is choice. While you are doing your research you can also take a look at Seabourn and Regent. I am not mentioning SeaDream which is another cruise line as they really have almost no enrichment programs as their ships carry 100 passengers.

In the end, make the choice that you think is best for you two.

And, finally, value is in the eyes of the beholder and really comes down to those items that you believe have more value than others.

Keith

Thanks, Keith!

I love your posts and really appreciate your thoughtful response.

I'd actually thought about Seadream, too--it seems like a completely different (though enjoyable) experience--and it is now on a list of 'future trips' that we'd both like to take later down the road.

For the time being, though, I will take your advice and do more research. The book and the specific cruiseline boards seem like a great idea. So are the agencies that offer prepaid gratuities. Thanks for that tip.

I'll keep you posted as to my decision--the wouldn't be until November, so we have some time.

Sophie

As usual, Keith has provided a very lucid and comprehensive explanation of the differences between the two lines. And I couldn't agree more that there is no best, there is only the one you prefer.

For me, there are two main reasons I would prefer the smaller ships of Silversea and indeed Seabourn. (There used to be three reasons but as Keith pointed out Crystal now provides a generous OBC so included alcohol and tips is not an issue. When the economy improves and Crystal removes these amenities it'll go back up to three reasons.)

1. I prefer open seating where you can dine anytime with whoever you want. I hate assigned seatings with two set seatings . I know Crystal has two alternative restaurants but if you are on board for a while the majority of evenings will be spent in the main dining room.

2. Crystal's ships are 50,000 tons and 68,000 tons carrying up to 900 or 1000 passengers. This means they cannot dock in many of the smaller ports where Silversea or Seabourn's smaller ships can. And in some ports they must dock further away because they are larger. Again, just my preference.

This is not to say you won't have a fantastic time on either line. If what matters to me does not matter to you you could not do better than Crystal. Service, food and atmosphere are wonderful on all these luxury lines.

One other thing you might want to consider. Both lines are very formal in the evening. Most men will be in tuxes and the women in fancy evening wear on Crystal--and Silversea is similar in terms of clothing. If you're not the type of cruisers who love getting dressed up and prefer a more casual cruise, then you might want to consider Sea Dream. They are resort casual all the time, while Crystal has formal, informal and casual nights. On my two cruises on Silversea a good number of men were in tuxes or dinner jackets, or dark suits on formal nights. They both ask their passengers to remain in the code of the evening for the entire evening, unlike the mass market lines where the passengers go back to their cabins and change into shorts and t-shirts after dinner. Sea Dream also tends to attract a younger clientele if that makes any difference in your decision.

Thanks, Keith!

I love your posts and really appreciate your thoughtful response.

I'd actually thought about Seadream, too--it seems like a completely different (though enjoyable) experience--and it is now on a list of 'future trips' that we'd both like to take later down the road.

For the time being, though, I will take your advice and do more research. The book and the specific cruiseline boards seem like a great idea. So are the agencies that offer prepaid gratuities. Thanks for that tip.

I'll keep you posted as to my decision--the wouldn't be until November, so we have some time.

Sophie

Sophia you are very welcome.

Again, read about each cruise line and then sit down to figure out what you are looking in a cruise line.

I hadn't highlight SeaDream because you had mentioned the enrichment aspect of the cruise and they really don't have that.

Because of the size of their ships and the fact that they are normally port intensive that is not an area of focus for them. The major exception is when they do a crossing. But on a small ship like that, a crossing is not for everyone.

The focus for the evening on SeaDream is the dining experience. It is probably the most gourmet of all of the cruise lines that we mentioned so during the evening the focus is on a wonderful meal and sitting and talking with other passengers.

Again, study what each cruise line offers and also look at the ships diagrams very carefully so you know what each one offers.

In the end, it's a fun decision to make and you will indeed find a cruise on a luxury ship to be a wonderful experience. Good luck and if we can help in any other way, be sure to ask. Part of the fun in cruising for us is all of the planning and then the anticipation of the cruise.

Keith

Just a couple of comments. Crystal ships are considerably larger than Silversea ships which enable them to offer more elaborate shows in the evening. Also, from what I have been reading, the rather large incentive Crystal is giving to make it appear "all-inclusive" is not for all cruises and cannot match up with cruise ships like Regent, for instance, where all excursions and airfare are included.

Crystal and Seabourn are probably the most "formal" -- then Silversea and last -- Regent. Seadream is a totally different product (wonderful, but different). Much smaller ships, no balconies, no formal nights. Seadream generally appeals to younger passengers.

There is a lot of competition between the luxury cruise lines right now. Check them out -- make comparisons and see which one fits the two of you.

Remember -- most posters on CruiseCritic have favorite cruise lines. Posts will be bias to that cruise line (for instance, mine are bias to Regent). Just something to consider.

Just a couple of comments. Crystal ships are considerably larger than Silversea ships which enable them to offer more elaborate shows in the evening. Also, from what I have been reading, the rather large incentive Crystal is giving to make it appear "all-inclusive" is not for all cruises and cannot match up with cruise ships like Regent, for instance, where all excursions and airfare are included.

Just want to clarify that the Crystal promotion is available for many 2009 voyages and for all 2010 voyages.

As I always like to say the devil is in the details. I have personally found that on the cruises that we have have booked that the credit does indeed makes our cruising all inclusive. If price is the driver, (then one needs to lay out all of the information, including the starting cruise fare, and all of the promotions and factoring in any out of pocket costs. And even then they won't get make it entirely apples to apples because there are other differences between the line, but it will make it closer.

Keith

I love these forums, find them enormously entertaining and informative and think I'd like Crystal--the enrichment aspect particularly appeals to me, as does the luxury aspect and the cuisine.

Thank you!

Crystal lists the enrichment speakers on some of their cruises, but not all. Most of the other lines do not seem to list the enrichment speakers - why I do not know. If the enrichment aspect is important, call the cruise lines or get your TA to call to find out who the speakers are. I also like the enrichment aspect and can say that great speaker(s) can transform a mediocre cruise into a memorable cruise or a good cruise into an exceptional cruise! I just wish that all the cruise lines would list their enrichment speakers.

Crystal lists the enrichment speakers on some of their cruises, but not all. Most of the other lines do not seem to list the enrichment speakers - why I do not know. If the enrichment aspect is important, call the cruise lines or get your TA to call to find out who the speakers are. I also like the enrichment aspect and can say that great speaker(s) can transform a mediocre cruise into a memorable cruise or a good cruise into an exceptional cruise! I just wish that all the cruise lines would list their enrichment speakers.

Actually, Crystal lists its lecturers for all cruises on their web site. You just look up the cruise that you are on and then click on entertainment and programs and you can pull up this information. The information is not added at the time that they list all of the cruises for the new sailing year but in time (anywheres from say three to six months before the cruise) they add this information.

Keith

Actually, Crystal lists its lecturers for all cruises on their web site. You just look up the cruise that you are on and then click on entertainment and programs and you can pull up this information. The information is not added at the time that they list all of the cruises for the new sailing year but in time (anywheres from say three to six months before the cruise) they add this information.

Keith

Good to know and much better than the other luxury lines. However, it would still be nice if this information was available earlier -- for me, it could be a determining factor in selecting a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
Good to know and much better than the other luxury lines. However, it would still be nice if this information was available earlier -- for me, it could be a determining factor in selecting a cruise.

Hi Mike -- we have cruised together before. Do you have any concerns about going on a larger ship -- one with set seating in their dining room -- tipping, etc.? If you decide to go, please post your thoughts on the Regent boards since most of us are not even considering Crystal (but are considering Silversea and Seabourn).

Hi Mike -- we have cruised together before. Do you have any concerns about going on a larger ship -- one with set seating in their dining room -- tipping, etc.? If you decide to go, please post your thoughts on the Regent boards since most of us are not even considering Crystal (but are considering Silversea and Seabourn).

Hi Jackie!

I have concerns about the larger ships, the set seating, and the tipping (Canadians don't seem to have travel agents who pay the tips unless they use U.S. travel agents). However, we have neighbors who have cruised extensively on Crystal and love Crystal. Their experiences on Crystal have convinced me to consider Crystal. We love Regent but would consider any of the luxury lines if the relevant factors were right. The enrichment speakers are a factor. So far, we have been more than satisfied with the Regent enrichment speakers, but I understand that we have been incredibly lucky (Terry Breen, Dieter Galler, Mark Eddowes, Laura Brands). My understanding is that these speakers are among the best available in their specific areas of expertise. Overall, my priorities are schedule, itinerary, ship, price, level of formality (less is better), speakers and benefits. When I am planning future cruises I look at all of these -- speakers are a problem on all of the lines when I am booking one year pre-cruise. Recently the price reductions on all of the luxury lines make it more difficult to plan one year plus in advance since there seems to be a real advantage to postpone decisions until the lines mark down the prices (or increase the benefits).

One other thing you might want to consider. Both lines are very formal in the evening. Most men will be in tuxes and the women in fancy evening wear on Crystal--and Silversea is similar in terms of clothing. If you're not the type of cruisers who love getting dressed up and prefer a more casual cruise, then you might want to consider Sea Dream. They are resort casual all the time, while Crystal has formal, informal and casual nights. On my two cruises on Silversea a good number of men were in tuxes or dinner jackets, or dark suits on formal nights. They both ask their passengers to remain in the code of the evening for the entire evening, unlike the mass market lines where the passengers go back to their cabins and change into shorts and t-shirts after dinner. Sea Dream also tends to attract a younger clientele if that makes any difference in your decision.

With the exception of the PAII SilverSeas which is mostly Casual with two informal nights...

• 3 weeks later...

I've cruised on most lines for 40 years. At age 9 I sailed my first on SS United States (think the Movie Titanic) and was blown away.

My next cruise was years later on Premier (think Homeless Shelter.)

My wife was dying and we regretted we never made the traditional Alaskan cruise, then it dawned on me, a bed is a bed....let's DO IT. I brought her wheelchair, pre-hotels at the Ritz in San Fransico then Luxury cruised on Crystal. I was honest with the line, and they went OUT OF THEIR way to be nice. We got a table for two by the window (at the waterline.) The food is not to be explained, but experienced. Top caviar every night, the most magnificent soups at lunch, the most perfect service, a fabulous cabin and balcony, and magnificent Ballroom dancing (they even had men hosts for unaccompanied women.) EVERYTHING was Ritz-Carlton quality including embarkation. It was NICE that EVERYONE was intelligent, educated, and interesting to converse with. High Tea was a High experience. First run movies, ELEGANT shops with HIGH-Quality merchandise. THIS...THIS.....is the Luxury cruise to use.

One problem...they go world-wide, so you REALLY have to plan in advance...they don't just circle Florida. One week they are in China, they next in Africa...so choose where you wish to cruise. They tend to cruise longer cruises than most.

PERSONALLY I PREFER asea days to port days on a Luxury cruise. I'd rather stroll in my tux than sweat on a Goat Island. MOST have cruised MANY times on Crystal, if that's an indication of their quality.

I MUST say...your age is a factor here. IF you are 20....maybe you don't wan't to be with the 50-year-olds. I loved every single minute of my cruise. Expensive...you betcha....and worth every penny.

$2000 credit might still not be as good as all-inclusive. OTOH you can use it for things like spa.

and silverseas is starting to add premium restaurants. ridiculous. i could understand the wine restaurants.

seadream and the world might also be worth considering.

$2000 credit might still not be as good as all-inclusive. OTOH you can use it for things like spa.

and silverseas is starting to add premium restaurants. ridiculous. i could understand the wine restaurants.

seadream and the world might also be worth considering.

I do not understand this comment.

If you book Crystal through a large travel consortium thsy will normally include the tips.

So, the difference is that you get a $2,000.00 credit per couple on many 2009 and all 2010 cruises that are 11 of more days and say on Silversea you get your alcohol included. For most people the $2,000 credit is worth significantly more than the alcohol that is included. If it's not, then I would contend that you won't remember a thing about the cruise since you will likely be intoxicated.

No cruise line is totally all inclusive.

Keiht

I agree completely that a $2000 OBC will more than cover the alcohol bill for most cruisers. However, and this may be picking nits but it's important to me, you still have to sign for every drink. I like not having to sign a check every time I order a drink. Or if I'm with a group having to decide whose OBC will pay for this round or that bottle of wine.

Wripro, in the end it's all a personal decision. For us, it's just not a big deal. When we are on land and we have drinks with others we sign a check or the other person does. Many times at sea we buy our own drinks and/or bottle because for us I prefer one type of wine and my wife another and if we have drinks with another couple they buy theirs. For us it is a nit and plays no factor in which cruisel line we sail on.

On Crystal, I get a number of Crystal bottles of wine in our cabin (comes with the PH and above category) and I just send the bottles to the dining room. So, when I have the wine there is nothing to sign for anyway. And, there are many cocktail receptions where we are provided comlimentary drinks. On the two world cruises we were on I would tell you between all of the parties and all of the bottles we had I had very little wine that I had to sign.

Again, each person will make their selection of cruise line based on those factors that are most important to them.

So, how was the Seabourn Odyssey Inaugural Cruise?

Keith

This thread is interesting -- I wonder if the OP is still interested in the answer for the question asked 2 months ago.

Anyway, as usual, I have comments regarding $2,000.00 covering expenses on Crystal. I have to assume that it would cover drinks, tips, etc. What I don't understand is why Crystal decided to take this route rather than just going all-inclusive like it's competition. Giving OBC is great, but, you still are signing for every cocktail (unless, like Keith, you are in a Penthouse and sending alcohol to your table). If your TA is paying tips, does that mean that you are not tipping the cocktail server? When you go to the speciality restaurant where the recommended tip is on the menu, do you ignore it? I'm not being sarcastic -- I truly would be confused if my TA was paying tips and I was faced with what seems like not tipping when other may be.

Also, even Princess has caved and gone for open seating in their main dining room. If Crystal would recognize that this is what passengers really want, wouldn't it be a good thing? After all, you can still dine with the same people every night if you wish to do that.:confused:

In terms of no cruise line being all-inclusive, I agree about 5%. Regent is paying for your airfare, all drinks, etc. on board the ship, and almost (the "almost" the 5%) all of your excursions. Of course, tips are included. We don't sign for anything, nor are we concerned or confused about tipping the staff. Many of us contribute to the crew fund -- not required, but, it makes us feel like we are helping the crew.

Keith mentioned on another thread that Crystal is not typically full (sorry if I am misquoting you). . . . well, this is not the case on some other luxury lines. Part of the reason I would like to see Crystal fast forward into this century is so that more people would try it (myself included).

This thread is interesting -- I wonder if the OP is still interested in the answer for the question asked 2 months ago.

Anyway, as usual, I have comments regarding $2,000.00 covering expenses on Crystal. I have to assume that it would cover drinks, tips, etc. What I don't understand is why Crystal decided to take this route rather than just going all-inclusive like it's competition. Giving OBC is great, but, you still are signing for every cocktail (unless, like Keith, you are in a Penthouse and sending alcohol to your table). If your TA is paying tips, does that mean that you are not tipping the cocktail server? When you go to the speciality restaurant where the recommended tip is on the menu, do you ignore it? I'm not being sarcastic -- I truly would be confused if my TA was paying tips and I was faced with what seems like not tipping when other may be.

Also, even Princess has caved and gone for open seating in their main dining room. If Crystal would recognize that this is what passengers really want, wouldn't it be a good thing? After all, you can still dine with the same people every night if you wish to do that.:confused:

In terms of no cruise line being all-inclusive, I agree about 5%. Regent is paying for your airfare, all drinks, etc. on board the ship, and almost (the "almost" the 5%) all of your excursions. Of course, tips are included. We don't sign for anything, nor are we concerned or confused about tipping the staff. Many of us contribute to the crew fund -- not required, but, it makes us feel like we are helping the crew.

Keith mentioned on another thread that Crystal is not typically full (sorry if I am misquoting you). . . . well, this is not the case on some other luxury lines. Part of the reason I would like to see Crystal fast forward into this century is so that more people would try it (myself included).

TravelCat the reason that Crystal went with the approach they did was to offer something that was indeed unique from the other cruise lines and basically to differentiate themselves from the others.

Once again, for many folks they already have the tips covered with Crystal. If you book with one of the large travel consoriums your tips are normally already pre-paid so for most that is already covered.

No cruise line is all inclusive. So, basically the approach that Crystal is taking is that they are allowed their passengers to decided how they want to spend the $2,000.00 and to essentially customze that for themselves. There are many who already sail with Crystal who either do not drink or drink very little so providing them with inclusive drinks is not key for them. But for those who it is important for they can use a portion of this additional OBC to cover that.

As to the current century Crystal offers an array of programs on their ship that other cruise lines don't offer. Does that mean that the other cruise lines are not in this century? No. For example Crystal offers a much more comprehensive activity and entertainment program than most of the other cruise lines. This is just how Crystal differentiates themselves.

Many folks such as myself like choice. I know some who book with certain travel consortiums because they wanted to get a special exclusive shore excursion just for those on the consortium. Speaking for myself and several folks we know we prefer a consortium that gives me additional OBC so that I can decide how I want to use that money myself. And, I see Crystal doing the same thing.

As I have said often, I see no reason why each cruise line should be copying one another. After all, we all have different tastes.

As to the signing of the bills or as some say the chits. I have sailed on cruises where that is not the case for drinks. And, I have sailed on cruise lines where you sign. To me it's really a nit as wripro says. And again I would say that Crystal has a large niche of folks who do not care about the all inclusive drinks so there is no reason for the line to raise costs (because in the end nothing is free and you end up paying for this one way or the other). Yes, there might be some who this is a deal breaker for but as I always say you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

And back to the 21st century. One of the ways Crystal has built their reputation as being an innovator. They were the first to offer a computer univesity on board their ships. First to offer speciatly restaurants if I remember correctly. They constantly are revamping and expanding their activity and entertainment programs to offer many unique programs.

I don't see that including drinks has anything to do with the 21st century.

Again, thank goodness for choice.

Keith

Keith

Just a clarification. . . . I meant the comment about being in the last century to be about set seating in the main restaurant -- not alcohol. Crystal does a good job of differentiating itself and has a very loyal following (as do the other luxury lines).

In terms of pre-paid tipping. . . . again, this is confusing. Exactly who is receiving the tips paid by the TA's?

Those of us who prefer all-inclusive generally are just happy not to think about anything -- just being on vacation. We do not drink enough to require drinks to be paid for -- we rarely do ship excursions which is also included. We do not even use the "free airfare" as we do not fly economy.

You're right -- it's great ato have choices.

What don't you understand about pre-paid gratuities? It's simple. The gratuities go to those who normally get the tips, even on the mass market lines. So, it's the waiter, butler, assistant waiter and room stewardess. If you want to slip a little something to a bar waiter or whomever, that's up to you. My TA belongs to Ensemble and pays for the gratuities. We also get at least one free shore excursion, at least one on board party including drinks, and a bottle of wine. These perks are offered on many lines, not just the luxury ones.

And another thing, I absolutely do not understand this whole business of signing. What's with that? It's not like it takes forever, it's not like it's a "worry". You're just signing your name, usually just a scribble. Sorry, but that's the part I just don't get---signing your name is no biggie in the scheme of things.

What don't you understand about pre-paid gratuities? It's simple. The gratuities go to those who normally get the tips, even on the mass market lines. So, it's the waiter, butler, assistant waiter and room stewardess. If you want to slip a little something to a bar waiter or whomever, that's up to you. My TA belongs to Ensemble and pays for the gratuities. We also get at least one free shore excursion, at least one on board party including drinks, and a bottle of wine. These perks are offered on many lines, not just the luxury ones.

And another thing, I absolutely do not understand this whole business of signing. What's with that? It's not like it takes forever, it's not like it's a "worry". You're just signing your name, usually just a scribble. Sorry, but that's the part I just don't get---signing your name is no biggie in the scheme of things.

I have to respectfully disagree with the previous post. I believe TC has a valid point in that she travels Regent where there is NO tipping, butler, stewardess, bartender etc. On Crystal, if you get pre-paid gratuities, its not completely pre-paid, as there is an instantaneous tip on every drink you order. Not everyone ttravels the mass-market lines, and understands this concept.

The issue with signing... Personally I enjoy the all-inclusive alcohol policy for the fact that I can enjoy a bottle of wine or 2 with newfound friends for dinner, and we don't have to worry about who's picking up the tab. I enjoy having my drink refilled before I've finished. This is a luxury that makes alot of sense to me. If one can't see the advantage of "no signing" THAT remains a mystery to me!

This is not meant to be a "put-down" to Crystal, just a clarification of a previous posters post.

Host Dan

Archived