adjustment to sailing solo

Skubi

Hi everyone

I am recently widowed and have decided, I still want to travel. DH and I loved to travel and especially cruising. Since I always felt safe on the ship going from one place to another by myself, I thought cruising was the best way for me to get back in the game.

I have booked my first solo cruise with NCL on the Epic. I have joined the roll call for my cruise (which I am happy to say seems very active and have already joined a large group for an excursion). And I am aware that even though I am in a balcony cabin, that I can attend the solo gathering each day.

Being recently widowed, I feel rather awkward doing things that I have always did as a couple, dining out, doing things with other couples.

I'd love to hear from others who have made this transition from two people to one. What your experiences have been, what type of activities you do on the ship. How and where you've met other people to hang with. Are there certain places that you feel awkward. Especially anyone with experience on the NCL mega ships solo gathering. I'm very shy with those I don't know and find it very hard to approach people or initiate small talk.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

I echo Spartan1234x's sentiments. It is great that you're taking this cruise. I'd just suggest going to the singles meet and greets. I've traveled NCL solo man times and you never know what interesting people you will meet. Go, say hi, and just mingle. It may be hard at first, but you'll probably find that there are others traveling solo that feel just as shy and intimidated and just need someone to say hello to open up. up. Remember, you all have a love a cruising in common, so start a conversation based on that and you'll be surprised how easy it is to swap stories and advice. Have a wonderful time!

I'm so proud of you for taking this step. I know you will have a wonderful time meeting new people even though it is outside of your comfort zone. Wish we were sailing on the same ship

.....:)

I echo Spartan1234x's sentiments. It is great that you're taking this cruise. I'd just suggest going to the singles meet and greets. I've traveled NCL solo man times and you never know what interesting people you will meet. Go, say hi, and just mingle. It may be hard at first, but you'll probably find that there are others traveling solo that feel just as shy and intimidated and just need someone to say hello to open up. up. Remember, you all have a love a cruising in common, so start a conversation based on that and you'll be surprised how easy it is to swap stories and advice. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks tony11727

Hi! I'm senior & solo; I was widowed 8 yrs. ago. DH & I had loved cruising for 40+ yrs. and I decided to continue -- after I "swallowed" the single supplement pill. In the past 8 yrs., I've done 7 cruises: 3 w/friends & 4 solo. I find I like the solos more & more! I really like do WHAT I want to do WHEN I want to & no coordinating w/others.

I usually sail w/Princess.

I ask for MDR dinner at a table for 6-8; I like familiar faces at dinner. Sometimes there's another solo woman at the table & we arrange to have tea, take an excursion or something together.

I generally don't do activities during sea day, preferring to read & 'sea-watch'. In the evening, I go to shows or sit & listen to music in some public area -- with or without others.

I usually do ship's excursions, tho I have joined some very good private ones via the roll calls.

I only cruise for places I really want to visit, so that is my focus for a cruise.

I find that if I do what I'm comfortable w/doing, all is good.

ENJOY!

Edited by DRS/NC
more info

NCL does a great job with solo cruisers. They have nightly gatherings for solo travelers in the studio lounge and there is a solo host. Even though you are not in a studio cabin you will be able to attend. I would suggest going to the first one and you will meet people. The solo host will see who wants to go to dinner and shows and will make reservations for the group. I went on my first cruise in 2015 solo on the Getaway. I could not have asked for a better first cruise. I made friends with several people from the roll call and we had an informal meet and greet the first day of the cruise after the muster drill. Cruising solo allows you to do what you want when you want. I am going on my 9th cruise in 10days. This will be my 7th time going solo.

I'll echo two sentiments already expressed...I'm proud of you for taking this step! It can be difficult for some people, and I think it's wonderful that you're going to continue doing something you and your DH loved. And, second, NCL does a great job with solos!

I'm divorced and my ex didn't enjoy cruising nearly as much as I did, so I continued cruising with my daughter. Well, she's now grown and enjoys traveling but not as much as I do. About four years ago she encouraged me to cruise solo and I've never looked back! As others have said, be sure to go to the solo gathering, especially the first evening. You'll find solos of all ages--quite a range when I've attended! I think it's especially important for you since you're shy. The solo lounge is small, so you'll easily meet people there since you'll be in close proximity! I encourage you to go to dinner with the solos that first evening, and maybe there will be a group you'll hit it off with. :D Dinners are arranged each evening, so if you don't want to eat dinner alone, you won't have to.

One of the things I've noticed when I travel solo is that people strike up conversations with me much more than when I cruise with my daughter. I enjoy that, but I'm not shy, so it may be different for you.

Personally, I enjoy the alone time, and always get a spa pass. The Epic has a wonderful spa with a large balcony. I tend to spend quite a bit of time on that balcony with a good book.

You may find that there are times that are awkward and that you're missing a cruise companion.Meals seem to be a particularly difficult time for many people. I always take a book with me when I'm dining solo. Often times the waiters stop and chat for a minute, too.

You'll have to learn your new cruising style. Be open to doing new things, and enjoy yourself!

Skubi....I am also recently widowed and trying to tell myself it's ok to get on a ship by myself....so many emotions inside my head. We cruised mostly on NCL, 2 or 3 times a year....always so happy and relaxed when cruising. I have a couple cruises planned with friends and adult children over the next 8 months. Maybe I should find a "last minute" 7 day cruise and give it a try. We met a few solo cruisers through the years at various on ship activities, and we always enjoyed meeting them at some point during the cruise. When is your cruise on the Epic.....will be looking forward to your thoughts when you return. All suggestions in these replies are helpful.

Skubi....I am also recently widowed and trying to tell myself it's ok to get on a ship by myself....so many emotions inside my head. We cruised mostly on NCL, 2 or 3 times a year....always so happy and relaxed when cruising. I have a couple cruises planned with friends and adult children over the next 8 months. Maybe I should find a "last minute" 7 day cruise and give it a try. We met a few solo cruisers through the years at various on ship activities, and we always enjoyed meeting them at some point during the cruise. When is your cruise on the Epic.....will be looking forward to your thoughts when you return. All suggestions in these replies are helpful.

I'm going on the Epic in February

BTW, I just wanted to say that in my post, I wasn't comparing my daughter's not cruising with me anymore to the loss of spouses--I totally understand it's completely different!

Absolutely understand. And very much appreciate your advice and tips.

Thanks, Skubi. I didn't want to be insensitive!

I'm off on my next solo cruise next month...spending a week in Rome and then the Western Med on the NCL Epic. Can't wait!

Sounds lovely, happy sailing.

I don't want to turn this into a "recently widowed" thread but I too am recently widowed and am glad I saw this thread. Scuba and Terry55, I am sorry for your losses. I took the plunge last night and booked my first solo cruise. We had only cruised a handful of times but loved it. I am nervous and excited. It really helps me to see advice from others who cruise solo.

I don't want to turn this into a "recently widowed" thread but I too am recently widowed and am glad I saw this thread. Scuba and Terry55, I am sorry for your losses. I took the plunge last night and booked my first solo cruise. We had only cruised a handful of times but loved it. I am nervous and excited. It really helps me to see advice from others who cruise solo.

So sorry for your loss as well.

Love the "taking the plunge" reference when talking about cruising :)

I started this thread, not only for people widowed and never did the 2 becomes 1 thing, but for anyone that found themselves in that position of having to cruise alone for the first time like Quilting_Cruiser above because they still wanted to travel but had no one to go with.

Up till now I have found lots of threads on those who choose to cruise alone for the freedom they have, the quiet vacation or whatever their reasons.

So I hope to get tips and tricks from those with experience or memories of their very first solo cruise and what hurdles that they found and how they over came them.

Which line have you chosen for your first solo adventure? Maybe if you listed some of the things that make you nervous, posters will have some ideas or tips to help alleviate those fears.

I know my 2 biggest fears are:

dining alone on a freestyle dining ship (I have the upgraded dining package for 3 nights but nobody to go to the restaurant with (this will be very strange for me to sit in a restaurant alone, I haven't even tried this on land yet, I feel very awkward). I could bring a book, but that seems very tacky in an upscale restaurant and people watching would be very rude. I see a piano in one of the main diningrooms. So if they play all through the meal times, I guess I could look in that direction and enjoy the music in between bites.

as well, although this sounds strange, I'm afraid of feeling very lonely on a 4100 passenger ship, because I have no one to do anything with.

Skubi, my 2 biggest fears are the same as yours. I'm cruising NCL and chose them for a few reasons but one of the main reasons is that they seem to make it very easy for solo cruisers to meet.

NCL was DH and I's chosen cruise line, although we did do a Carnival cruise for an itinerary I wanted.

On the NCL boards, I'm really getting conflicting reviews on the open solo meet and greet. It appears to have no set pattern but be left to the discretion of the solo coordinator......Bummer LOL

But I'm going to go to it anyway and hopefully I'll be brave enough to initiate a few conversations.

Good luck with your upcoming cruise. Please come back and share your experiences with us.

Hi everyone

I am recently widowed and have decided, I still want to travel. DH and I loved to travel and especially cruising. Since I always felt safe on the ship going from one place to another by myself, I thought cruising was the best way for me to get back in the game.

I have booked my first solo cruise with NCL on the Epic. I have joined the roll call for my cruise (which I am happy to say seems very active and have already joined a large group for an excursion). And I am aware that even though I am in a balcony cabin, that I can attend the solo gathering each day.

Being recently widowed, I feel rather awkward doing things that I have always did as a couple, dining out, doing things with other couples.

I'd love to hear from others who have made this transition from two people to one. What your experiences have been, what type of activities you do on the ship. How and where you've met other people to hang with. Are there certain places that you feel awkward. Especially anyone with experience on the NCL mega ships solo gathering. I'm very shy with those I don't know and find it very hard to approach people or initiate small talk.

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

am very sorry for your loss aned have experinded what you are now handling. Mhy Dah an ia were a couple winddce w were both 18 years oled. I ma not 70+ and when I lost him, I was devastated , and still am. The pain remains but for me, it is a litle less raw.

We eied a huge amount of trafvel aned di so long before we sttarted cruising but ombined (all lines we saild) we sailed abou 100 cruisess. Though we were hugly loyal HAL cruisers, when a couple with whom we druised a number of time, innvitted me to sail with tham on NCL, hesitated but siad yes and am so glas I did.. It was NCL, a line onn which we had never considered cruising but it worked outt well. Because I wsas in a suit,e I wsas abled to go to Cagney's for breakfast an/or luncch and di d so. They woke earlier than I do and went off for excursions that I delcined to book with them. Becuase I dcould go to th quieter, small restrraurantrr instaed of bufet, I did so. I found myslef chattring with people seatingg at small table beside me. I am socxiabvle andwhile I have litTle interest in metringt loads oT new people, I enjoy a casual conversation. Because I have traveled so much through the years, I am able to chagt about a host of subjects.

I just retruned from my second 'solo' cruise. I booked a ship mhy DH an dI had sail togdetgher a number of times. My girlfriend acllaed an asked if I really wanted to fo alone . I wondereed aloud why she asked and she suggested sh'ed book a cabin adn sail, too. We are not the sort that wnats to share. I like myown spaddce and wont' share a bathroom.

We went and though the cruise had some deficiencies, I was happy Ihad booked and gone and especially appredciative, mmy jfriend came along. She and her dh had sailed with us, the last cruise my dh and I had together. I am now thinking I will sailagian, and will suck in my breath and gook to go alone.. I loved having my frfiend there but would never ask anyone to come. I I see it as too hard for trhem to say no and I don't to puut anyone in that position.. I have absolultely no family, So whewn Is ay I am alone, I mean, really alone. But, if one wants to survive, there are few choices but to do the best we can.

Best Wishes.

On the NCL boards, I'm really getting conflicting reviews on the open solo meet and greet. It appears to have no set pattern but be left to the discretion of the solo coordinator......Bummer LOL

What kind of conflicts? Let us know and those of us who've sailed solo on NCL can share our experiences. :D

What kind of conflicts? Let us know and those of us who've sailed solo on NCL can share our experiences. :D

The conflicting reports, I'm speaking of is there just appears to be inconsistencies on what the host/hostess's would be doing, Here are some quotes I've read regarding the solo gatherings. As you can see some are very involved and some just show up, point to a sign up board and leave.

“there was a sign up sheet for shows ,she said they hold acertain amount of seats for the solos to sign up the night before..other thenthat our hostess dropped the ball and had better things to do then organize ourdinners ,there was a sign up board for things,i think someone had to start anorganized dinner etc.”

“Our host turned up, said hi and pointed out the whiteboardthat had sign up sheets on and then left. He wasn't even there for 5 minutes.”

“There are sign in sheets posted in the lounge as well asthe host of the solo group would keep a copy and discuss with the group on whateveryone would like to do (show that they wanted to see together/where to havedinner together, etc.)”

“The hostess initially made sure everyone communicated. Shegot them to talk about what they had done that day, plans for the following dayetc. She encouraged dining together and generally created a good atmosphere.She also stayed in the lounge and was generally available for any questions andqueries”

“They joined us for dinner when their schedule permitted andhelped us getting to any shows and activities we wished to go as a group orindividually”.

Skubi, I see. I've heard conflicting reports about whether you can have your card coded for 24/7 access to the studio lounge and wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about. The quote about the host who just pointed at the board and didn't stay is the only one I've heard of one of them doing that! We pay a premium for those studio cabins and I'm sure there would be quite a few upset people if that's all they did!

My own experience and all the reviews I've read from solo travelers (and I did a LOT of research before I sailed in a studio!) are contrary to that one lonely report. The majority of the solo hosts are very helpful and involved and set up dinners and show reservations. Usually they'll even set up specialty dinners if people want them to.

Just be sure you go the first evening as that's the most wel-attended solo gathering and where pretty much everyone else is in exactly the same situation you are--they're solo on the ship and they're looking for folks to share dinner with and maybe a few other activities. You'll find a wide range of ages as well. When I sailed on the Epic last year, I looked around the room and there were people from early 20s up into their 80s. They were all sitting around talking with each other--I think it's easier for people to engage in conversation with this room full of strangers because we're all open to conversation.

I hope you have a wonderful first solo cruise! It really is fun to meet new people and share experiences with them. I love the solo cruising experience--can't wait for my next solo cruise later this month! :D

Skubi, I see. I've heard conflicting reports about whether you can have your card coded for 24/7 access to the studio lounge and wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about. The quote about the host who just pointed at the board and didn't stay is the only one I've heard of one of them doing that! We pay a premium for those studio cabins and I'm sure there would be quite a few upset people if that's all they did!

My own experience and all the reviews I've read from solo travelers (and I did a LOT of research before I sailed in a studio!) are contrary to that one lonely report. The majority of the solo hosts are very helpful and involved and set up dinners and show reservations. Usually they'll even set up specialty dinners if people want them to.

Just be sure you go the first evening as that's the most wel-attended solo gathering and where pretty much everyone else is in exactly the same situation you are--they're solo on the ship and they're looking for folks to share dinner with and maybe a few other activities. You'll find a wide range of ages as well. When I sailed on the Epic last year, I looked around the room and there were people from early 20s up into their 80s. They were all sitting around talking with each other--I think it's easier for people to engage in conversation with this room full of strangers because we're all open to conversation.

I hope you have a wonderful first solo cruise! It really is fun to meet new people and share experiences with them. I love the solo cruising experience--can't wait for my next solo cruise later this month! :D

No it certainly wasn't over the 24/7 entry/non-entry issue. I totally understand that rule and support it completely. The studio cabins do pay a premium to have use of that facility and from what I understand it gives them a quiet space to get away from the rat race. I already have that space (it's called my balcony lol).

Thanks so much for your experience of the gatherings. It helps a lot.

I'd rather be myself. :) And enjoy the reflection and solitude. I do what I want which is simple for me to find ways to occupy my time. I never have a priority of any "joining", "meeting" etc. I don't care for the NCL solo m&g but have gone to them due to joining a traveling solo friend. I find them VERY artificial.

It works perfectly for me. Hope you find a good solution for your travels.