Cuba cruisers .............did you enjoy the visit?

AmberTeka

This is our experience. I don't want it to sound like we are complainers. We're not. It's just what we did and saw. Overall, we're glad we got the change to see how others live and glad we are Americans.

We went on the Paradise in October, 2017. We did the old car tour through Carnival. After going through customs, we went downstairs and had a hard time finding where to go. Finally ask a lady in front of a bus and she said that that was the bus. No signage at all telling what it was.

We boarded the bus and the lady spoke perfect English and described the buildings as we went along. The bus took us to a parking lot where all of the old cars were parked. We got to walk among them and pick out the one we wanted. The lady that was on the bus got in the car we were in and pointed out things as we went along.

We stopped at a huge parking lot and got to walk around a little. She pointed out the different multi story buildings that were in that area. Then we all boarded the cars again. This time, she got in another car. We stopped at a cemetery where we all got out and as a group was led through it with an English speaking guide that told us all about the different monuments in there. All graves are above the ground with white marble entombment covering them. White marble as far as you can see. Some of them were families which were huge.

From there, the cars took us for a ride through the town. Our driver didn't speak English so he was pointing out what the buildings were but we couldn't understand what he was saying.

You will see a lot of crumbling buildings. There were many multi story buildings with the roof missing, no windows on the top floor yet people living in the lower floors. We actually saw a woman empty a pan of garbage out of her second story window. We have friends that went on a different cruise line that stayed there for several days. They got to go further into the island and said it was much different once you got away from Havana.

After that, we got out of the cars and got back into the bus. It started to rain a little but wasn't bad. The bus stopped and we all got off and were led to a little theater where some college kids did an interpretive dance. We all left saying "OOOOOkay". Got back on the bus and it started pouring. Bus dropped us off at a flea market that was in an old train station. That was where they were selling the cigars. There was a very long line up for them. Some guy came up to us and ask if we wanted to buy some from him that he makes himself. We told him how many we wanted and he disappeared. Maybe fifteen minutes later he showed up with them. I think they were $7 of their money each.

The place was closing so we all boarded the bus and got back on the ship. Be aware. Because of the way the pier is set up, you have to get off the ship on the Main Deck. We had booked cabin M62. They had to remove the two cabins between M62 and M65 for the gangway. The ship stayed overnight but you had to be back onboard by 5AM the following morning. Revelers were coming back in all night making all kinds of noise. Didn't get much sleep that night.

All in all, it was a learning experience. I guess the best way of putting it is that it was a culture shock. One young cuban in the flea market tapped me on the shoulder, pointed to his shorts that were red, white and blue stripes and said "We love America".

I have been reading your remarks for years now. Appreciate and learn from them all. If my daughter agrees, and I am pretty sure she will, then I am booking it. I remember when we first started cruising in 2005. I woke up one night and went to the cabin window, I could see strings of light go father than a ships lights. Then I realized. It was Cuba. The lights of Cuba. It was like seeing Middle Earth or something like that. Now I may actually go to Cuba. The world has changed. for the better in regards to Cuba I think.

We found it a fascinating trip; different from any other travel destination. We were happy to be on the second trip there, on Paradise. Even then, crew and officers told us Cuba is changing very fast, now, with the influx of all the ships and visitors. We loved the adventure and are happy we did the trip early on. I’d like to go again.

We went the end of May and enjoyed the day... Used Blexie tours and had the same guide as Tapi (I think). Wonderful young lady, very perky for lack of another word and yes she would answer any questions about the island.

Back on the ship next day we talked about our time on the island. Wonderful people but how much of it is selling the island you really can't tell.

Overall we enjoyed the our time on the island... would we go back? I would not specifically book a cruise just because it went to Cuba.... If I was on a cruise that had had the stop I would go but more for the other ports.'

I had a feeling I was being followed everywhere I went and the depressing amount of crumbling buildings is just sad. The people in general seem happy and were always welcoming but our guide did not take us anywhere unsafe...

I have been reading your remarks for years now. Appreciate and learn from them all. If my daughter agrees, and I am pretty sure she will, then I am booking it. I remember when we first started cruising in 2005. I woke up one night and went to the cabin window, I could see strings of light go father than a ships lights. Then I realized. It was Cuba. The lights of Cuba. It was like seeing Middle Earth or something like that. Now I may actually go to Cuba. The world has changed. for the better in regards to Cuba I think.

Thank you for the compliment. I have always tried to give my perspective without forcing my opinions on anyone. It definitely is a learning experience going to Cuba. It's hard to imagine how others live until you see it for yourself.

since our return, we learned that Jorge our tour guide is a professor of history in Cuba. I agree with the comment of this being geared to history and intrigue and not a port of ziplines and ATVrides. my older daughters also found the history and city very interesting.

As US people we can not go to Cuba as a tourist. I agree that is a learning cruise. Any idea what the tours cost that satisfy the people to people required. What about the medical that is purchased for the duration? Does the cruise line take care of that too?

I am not a beach person so going to Cuba for me is about seeing a new country. I do know though that folks from the rest of the world have been relaxing at Cuban beach hotels for years now. I suppose cruisers could do that too if they wanted. We expect a different experience than that of the typical Caribbean island. You can be a tourist there if you want. Once you are off the ship no one cares where you go and how you spend your time.

Yes, the ship takes care of the visa and health requirement for all passengers. It should be included in the cruise fare.

As US people we can not go to Cuba as a tourist. I agree that is a learning cruise. Any idea what the tours cost that satisfy the people to people required. What about the medical that is purchased for the duration? Does the cruise line take care of that too?

Carnival web site states that the Cuban Medical Insurance is included in the "Taxes and Fees" that they add to your cruisefare - otherwise, not well documented that I can determine. The $75pp VISA fee is not included and is added to your shipboard account in check-in.

You can check the Excursion prices on the CruiseLine websites. The equivalent private excursions look to be about half the cost of the cruiseline's tours.

The Carnival site indicates that for their tours that include Classic Car drive, the Tour guide rotates between 5 or so cars and the driver may not speak English.

Ken

Carnival web site states that the Cuban Medical Insurance is included in the "Taxes and Fees" that they add to your cruisefare

The $75 that you pay for your Cuban visa includes the required medical insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that is a learning cruise. Any idea what the tours cost that satisfy the people to people required. What about the medical that is purchased for the duration? Does the cruise line take care of that too?

People to People is now reserved for people that travel as part of an organized group.

The option that allows you to visit Cuba and tour independently is “Support for the Cuban People”. The main requirements are that A) You maintain a full list of activities. B) You conduct business directly with the Cuban people and independent businesses and tour operators and that C) You don’t spend money or support establishments owned and/or operated by the Cuban Government or Military.

Your list of activities can include things like eating at paladares, taking tours provided by independent tour operators, visiting cigar stores, museums, etc. You must maintain a copy of your activities for 5 years. You do NOT have to book an excursion through the cruise line in order to meet Support for the Cuban People requirements so do not be tricked into it.

About the medical requirement: you don’t have to do a thing. The $75 that you pay for your Cuban visa covers that. The required medical insurance is part of your visa.

I had a feeling I was being followed everywhere...

I did have a feeling that what we were saying was closely monitored. We are Spanish speakers, so as we were walking down the street, we would be talking among ourselves and we would say something like “I’m getting hungry” and a local would approach us and offer a place to eat. Then we’d walk by a hotel and say “I wonder if that hotel is on the restricted list” and a local would approach us and answer the question. After this scenario repeated itself a few times, we started getting a bit paranoid, wondering how closely our conversations were being monitored.

Upon returning home, I read an article about “do’s and dont’s in Cuba” and one of the dont’s listed was to watch what you say and to never speak negatively in public about the Cuban regime. If anyone hears you, they can report it and you can be arrested under suspicion of subversive or anti-government conduct. So after reading the article I realized that maybe my feelings as I walked down the streets of Havana were more than just paranoia. Cuban citizens are expected to look for and report anti-government behavior.