Balcony usage during May in Alaska.

Linsuesue

We are considering going to Alaska in May and would like to do the zip line in Icy Straight Point. Previous to this, we have gone to Alaska in July, August, and September. We always book an aft balcony. We definitely used our balcony less in September because the weather was much colder that week we went. For those of you that have gone to Alaska in May, did you find that it was much colder than you thought it would be and you used your balcony less? Did the chance to have better whale watching from the ship make up for the temps? Have any of you done that Ziprider excursion in May?

We went in the beginning of June and LOVED our balcony. I wouldn't do an Alaska cruise without a balcony.

Yes, some days are colder, and a jacket was needed. Other days were warm, and you could be out there in shorts. It's Alaska, and temps change, alot.

We went in the beginning of June and LOVED our balcony. I wouldn't do an Alaska cruise without a balcony.

Yes, some days are colder, and a jacket was needed. Other days were warm, and you could be out there in shorts. It's Alaska, and temps change, alot.

We went in May and used our balcony daily. Cruising glacier bay I stayed on the balcony all morning and afternoon. If I got cold I would step inside and look out window till I warmed up!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

Thanks Halterk! I love rain and have seen quite a bit on our Alaskan trips. I love a balcony, especially an aft one, but was thinking if the weather would be much colder in May that maybe an Ocean view or obstructed view would be fine. Judging from your answer, I would say stick with an aft balcony! Did you see many whales from your balcony in early June?

We went in May and used our balcony daily. Cruising glacier bay I stayed on the balcony all morning and afternoon. If I got cold I would step inside and look out window till I warmed up!

I am a Glacier Bay fan too. Did you see many whales from your balcony?

We went during the 3rd week of May and it was only warm enough on the first day after departing Vancouver to be on the balcony. Our ship (HAL Eurodam) provided blankets for sitting outside, but it just wasn’t a fun experience—too darn cold even with blankets. It’s the one and only time that I regreted the money we spent on a balcony room.

I went to Alaska last year at the beginning of May on the Grand Princess. I enjoyed my balcony every single day, including Glacier Bay day. I guess the question is how much cold are you willing to put up with. I never regretted paying for the balcony, in fact I'm doing doing it all over again next May! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We went the end of May and first week of June and most days it was too cold to spend much time out there. However, being able to see the incredible glaciers so close and take photos made it so worthwhile. Did not see any whales from the balcony. Been twice and plan to go back again with a balcony!!

We sailed on the Emerald Princess Mid May 2017 spending a lot of time on our aft balcony, and can't imagine cruising Glacier Bay without one. Words can't begin to describe the views from that vantage point. It was surprisingly comfortable on the balcony (jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, vest) until at the end of the day when the fog rolled in, and then it got nippy fast. We didn't see any whales from our balcony, but went on a whale watching excursion in Juneau and saw a dozen or more humpbacks, and hundreds of eagles.

We did the same. Also, we zip lined in May last year and it was not too cold.

We were there mid July a few years back. Didn't really use the balcony much. Even though we tried to "get our money's worth" nothing beats the 360 degree views of glacier bay from the top open decks. For us even in July it was a little chilly to just sit there. We preferred walking along the promenade deck from which we were able to spot some whales and eagles.

I love the range of answers here! I think we have been very lucky on our travels to Alaska- weather wise. There have been many days that we enjoyed shirt sleeve weather on our balconies. It is very surprising to me that most people aren’t spotting whales, or many whales, from their balconies in May. I thought that was the appeal of sailing that early in the season.

My sister sailed to Alaska in May a few years ago and used the balcony every day. Weather was perfect.

I went in late September(last cruise of the season) and again, weather was perfect and I used the balcony every day. People were swimming and most were in shorts during the day.

Alaska is one cruise that I would always get a balcony, no matter what time of year I went. The scenery is worth it.

We've been twice but never in May. Regarding Glacial Bay, yes it might be nice from the convenience of your balcony, but nothing is better than being on an upper deck ,with a complete 360 degree view. As the ship eventually spins around there is a limit to what you can see on your balcony opposed to seeing everything from the deck. Plus it's just fun to be among all the people in awe of what you are seeing.

As others have said, when the ship is cruising, it will be cold and windy. It's up to you to determine if the extra cost is worth that. But again, please do not limit yourself to staying on your balcony because you paid for it. You will be missing a truly thrilling experience outside ,with a much better view.

Cheers

Len

We have been to Alaska several times and a Balcony is a must to see the scenery, whales, and birds and animals on shore. Most of the time while cruising in Alaska, you are only a couple hundred feet from shore. The month of May has the least precipitation. A couple of years ago in the last week of May, we had 89 degree temperatures in Juneau and 75 degree temperatures in Glacier Bay and there was snow at the tide line. We spend a lot of time on the balcony, but where I live north of Seattle, the temperature in Alaska isn't much different than our climate.

Did you see many whales from your balcony in early June?

There was a period of about 30 minutes where we spotted several whales. They were on both sides of the ship, and the Naturalists was very excited, and kept announcing all the whales she kept seeing.

Other then that one time though we never saw anymore.

I was on the May 8 - 16, 2017 cruise on the Legend roundtrip from Seattle. I had a port balcony. I live in south Louisiana and I love cold, so I thought the weather was amazing. I didn't need a jacket on my balcony or walking around the ship. I was wearing a short sleeve t-shirt and jeans. I only wore a jacket in port when it was raining. It rained in Ketchikan and Victoria.

This sailing went to Endicott Arm(Dawes Glacier) since Tracy Arm(usually South Sawyer Glacier) is usually blocked in May. After being at the glacier for awhile, the ship eventually started turning around. The ship turned counterclockwise, so the port balconies never faced Dawes Glacier. The ship only did a 180°.

The naturalist did point out animals when she saw them, but I stopped paying attention. She would see something and tell us, but I would never see the animal surface again.

From our balcony we saw humpback whales, mountain goats, sea otters, seals, sea lions and bear. The only thing we didn't see this time was a killer whale. My husband is very good at spotting whale spouts and will point them out to me. He was the one that spotted the bear, too. I saw the mountain goats and sea otters. The seals and sea lions you could hear before you saw them. Amazing!

That is an amazing collection of animals that you spotted! What month was your cruise? Glacier Bay?

We had the giant Carib deck balcony on the Grand Princess, on the starboard side, the week of Memorial Day. We were told we had "great weather" which was highs in the low 60's - but to us, Alaska feels MUCH warmer than 60's at home. We certainly were not sunning on our balcony as it was overcast most of the time, but we did spend a lot of time on it, even if we were bundled up while at sea. Surprisingly, we were warmer than we thought we would be.

I think the ultimate issue with Alaska is you have to be prepared for anything from cold rain or snow to sun and 80's - pretty much any time of the year.