Our "Not-Quite-As-Planned" Horizon 8/8 Adventure

sb4ever

We are back home after a wonderful cruise on the Horizon. I can try to give my honest opinions and answer any questions you may have. By now, I see the issues surrounding the missed port and mechanical issues have been covered on other posts. We are fairly go-with-the-flow so we were fairly unfazed by the changes in schedule.

We specifically chose this itinerary based on the number of sea days. Our family loves them. We were on the Vista when she was in Europe and while the ship was lovely, because of the port-intensive itinerary, we felt like we didn't get a chance to enjoy the ship. When we saw the itinerary, we knew it would be great for our family.

What floor was your cabin on and how was that? We are currently booked on deck 2 aft (family harbor) and may switch due to propulsion issues and vibration. It is just DH and I but our friends are also going and bringing their kids and they booked the Family Harbor section so we did too. I typically book higher up on the ship. So I am wondering if I should move us up to deck 6 or 8 (or even go big with a havana cabana on deck 5). Thanks!

What floor was your cabin on and how was that? We are currently booked on deck 2 aft (family harbor) and may switch due to propulsion issues and vibration. It is just DH and I but our friends are also going and bringing their kids and they booked the Family Harbor section so we did too. I typically book higher up on the ship. So I am wondering if I should move us up to deck 6 or 8 (or even go big with a havana cabana on deck 5). Thanks!

Because of the number of sea days, we specifically chose the Havana area. We had a Cabana and our kids had the interior across the hall. I think because of the technical issues we experienced, we felt vibration (especially sailing in the night before Amber Cove), but it didn't really disturb me greatly. That being said, if we felt it on Deck 5, I'm sure the lower decks had more.

If you are sailing with friends, the one downside would be that they would not be able to join you in the Havana area during the day. If you go higher, Deck 8 would be between two floors which are mainly cabins. It might be a tad quieter since it is between two "cabin" decks. It's also only a two decks below Lido.

We always fly in the day before the cruise because "you never know" what can happen (i.e. your husband forgetting to load an entire suitcase in the car). We had an early afternoon flight and a hotel reserved. Mother Nature had other plans. . .

We boarded our flight, pushed back when we were called back to the gate as there were too many planes on the ground at LaGuardia and would be delayed about an hour. As the hour neared completion, the delay was extended by another 45 minutes so I got off the plane to grab something to eat for all of us. When I stepped off the jetway, I noticed long lines at a couple of the counters and saw that flight to Baltimore and DC had been cancelled. Sure enough, LGA followed suit.

They were able to book us on the first flight out in the morning, but it was cutting it close if there were weather delays. So, we did what any insane people might do: rented a car and began our 15-hour, 7-state trek to NY. Have I mentioned we are "go-with-the-flow"?

Thanks to caffeine, Spotify and the support of our social media cruise group, the trip actually went quickly. My husband and I took 2-hour shifts and our kids kept us company (when they weren't sleeping). We rolled into NY around 9:30 and returned the rental car and were on our way to the cruise terminal by 10.

We boarded our flight, pushed back when we were called back to the gate as there were too many planes on the ground at LaGuardia and would be delayed about an hour. As the hour neared completion, the delay was extended by another 45 minutes so I got off the plane to grab something to eat for all of us. When I stepped off the jetway, I noticed long lines at a couple of the counters and saw that flight to Baltimore and DC had been cancelled. Sure enough, LGA followed suit.

They were able to book us on the first flight out in the morning, but it was cutting it close if there were weather delays. So, we did what any insane people might do: rented a car and began our 15-hour, 7-state trek to NY. .

Wow, I wasn't expecting that!! Way to roll with the punches. We would have done the same thing. In fact, we kind of did, only heading south instead of north. In September of 2008, our cruise started off similarly when the southbound Autotrain out of Lorton, VA was canceled the day of our departure. Fortunately, we hadn't left our home in western Maryland yet. Hurricane Hannah had touched down in South Carolina (I believe) and the tracks were flooded. So, we drove from western Maryland to Tampa, a good part of that in the driving rain and briefly through the outer regions of the hurricane. That was a heck of trip.

Because of the number of sea days, we specifically chose the Havana area. We had a Cabana and our kids had the interior across the hall. I think because of the technical issues we experienced, we felt vibration (especially sailing in the night before Amber Cove), but it didn't really disturb me greatly. That being said, if we felt it on Deck 5, I'm sure the lower decks had more.

If you are sailing with friends, the one downside would be that they would not be able to join you in the Havana area during the day. If you go higher, Deck 8 would be between two floors which are mainly cabins. It might be a tad quieter since it is between two "cabin" decks. It's also only a two decks below Lido.

Thanks. Not sure what we'll do. The cabana balcony room is WAY more (like double) what we currently paid but that cabana deck/balcony looks sweet. May get a havana inside or regular balcony (both are on deck 6) and only $500 more.

Wow, on the cancelled flight. We'd probably do the same thing. We are actually driving to Miami for our Horizon cruise, from NC (about 13 hours). So, we wouldn't even bat an eye. But would be a tad nerve wracking to go off plan at the last minute like that. Anyway, thanks for the report. Looking forward to more.

I’m the curious sort. Where did your 15 hour drive begin? That would have been our decision too!

We are in Wisconsin. It was pretty much a straight shot on I-90, but in the wee hours of the morning, it makes for a LONG drive.

They were able to book us on the first flight out in the morning, but it was cutting it close if there were weather delays. So, we did what any insane people might do: rented a car and began our 15-hour, 7-state trek to NY. Have I mentioned we are "go-with-the-flow"?

Since you chose to drive instead of taking the rebooked flights, are you just out the airfare for the whole family? :eek:

By the time our Uber arrived to pick us up from the rental car place, I believe we arrived at the Pier around 10:30. Our "check-in" time wasn't really supposed to be until noon, but given that I had just driven through the night, I would have been content to sit in a chair and sleep.;) We were immediately greeted by a porter who whisked our luggage away.

Upon entering the terminal, we went to the "too early" line. No one seemed particularly bothered that we were early and the terminal, while busy was certainly not crowded by any means. We walked right up to a Carnival rep who scanned our boarding passes and passports. We were given Zone 26 boarding tags and directed to the seating area.

As I said, we were involved pre-cruise with a Facebook group, so once we were seated, we joined the online chatter and met a few of the people in the group. It made the time pass quickly. I believe they started boarding Diamond and Platinums around 11:30 and then called 1-2 boarding groups every 5-10 minutes or so.

This was my first experience with Sign & Sail cards being delivered to your stateroom; however, I was quite pleased with the process. It certainly eliminated the long queues waiting to check in and getting pictures taken (if you board with your passport, that becomes your S&S picture).

Also, if you want an embarkation photo taken, the photographers are set up in the terminal so there is no stopping once you start boarding. As we had driven all night, we opted NOT to have our picture taken (although that probably would have been a funny picture).

We boarded on Deck 2 by the Family Harbor area. Since our rooms weren't ready yet, we proceeded directly to Lido. We were seated in Lido (plenty of tables available) and ready for lunch by 12:30.

Since you chose to drive instead of taking the rebooked flights, are you just out the airfare for the whole family? :eek:

Actually, no because we flew Southwest. You can cancel up to an hour or two before your flight leaves with no penalty. Since we booked with points and my husband flies as my "companion", those were just refunded to our account to be used at a later date. After we started driving, I called Southwest and got everything taken care of before we reached the Wisconsin/Illinois border.

I know it would be a hard situation if you had non-refundable tickets, but we had the flexibility. Southwest is one of the biggest airlines out of Milwaukee, so even if we had paid, we would still have had the funds for a future flight. Another reason I love Southwest (besides 2 suitcases flying free).

we flew Southwest. You can cancel up to an hour or two before your flight leaves with no penalty.

I forgot about that, and I ALWAYS fly Southwest (they’re the biggest carrier out of BWI, 15 minutes from my house). I’m originally from the Fox Valley, and love the 2 hour non-stops to MKE! 😎

Another question...and sorry to keep interrupting your report. But, can kids come to visit a havana cabana room? Our friends with their one under 12 kid, can they hang on our deck/balcony thing?

If they stayed on your immediate cabana area, I would probably say yes, but they cannot go past the barrier that leads into the pool area. There are wind barriers separating the cabanas from the main pool deck. You can also exit to the lanai from the cabana area, but you cannot re-enter. You need to go through ocean plaza to access the Havana cabins on deck 5.

I forgot about that, and I ALWAYS fly Southwest (they’re the biggest carrier out of BWI, 15 minutes from my house). I’m originally from the Fox Valley, and love the 2 hour non-stops to MKE! 😎

My son goes to school on Long Island and while I despise LGA with a passion, it's only a 90 minute flight (at most).

We were pretty hungry by the time we boarded since we just snacked along the way. I sat at the table while my husband and kids went to get their plates. We had a table in the aft area near the Tides pool. I was surprised when my husband and daughter returned in about 5-10 minutes both with Guy's burgers. In the past, that line has been outrageous on embarkation day. We were able to walk right up.

My son chose to go to the deli for a grilled ham & cheese. I must say, I really enjoyed the improvements made to the deli. There is quite a bit more variety of sandwiches (including a Cuban which is my new favorite) but they still have hot dogs and basic sandwiches . They will have a daily special which varied from an egg sandwich to a Korean BBQ (I forget which others they had). They also serve fries now which are different from the seasoned fries at Guy's. My kids preferred the fries in the deli to the Guy's fries for this reason. While at the deli, don't forget to grab a couple of fresh-baked salted chocolate cookies. YUM!

Of course, my kids (and husband) couldn't wait to get their ice cream. Another nice improvement from Vista - they now have a toppings bar by the gelato area with sprinkles, marshmallows, brownie pieces, syrup, etc. If I didn't like the gelato flavors on a particular day, I would just get a bowl of soft serve and use the toppings bar.

We were able to remain at our table on Lido until our rooms were ready without feeling like we were taking up a table while newcomers were searching for a table. Perhaps this was because we only had a four-top. I know larger groups might have had a bit more difficulty finding tables together.

We were pretty hungry by the time we boarded since we just snacked along the way. I sat at the table while my husband and kids went to get their plates. We had a table in the aft area near the Tides pool. I was surprised when my husband and daughter returned in about 5-10 minutes both with Guy's burgers. In the past, that line has been outrageous on embarkation day. We were able to walk right up.

My son chose to go to the deli for a grilled ham & cheese. I must say, I really enjoyed the improvements made to the deli. There is quite a bit more variety of sandwiches (including a Cuban which is my new favorite) but they still have hot dogs and basic sandwiches . They will have a daily special which varied from an egg sandwich to a Korean BBQ (I forget which others they had). They also serve fries now which are different from the seasoned fries at Guy's. My kids preferred the fries in the deli to the Guy's fries for this reason. While at the deli, don't forget to grab a couple of fresh-baked salted chocolate cookies. YUM!

Of course, my kids (and husband) couldn't wait to get their ice cream. Another nice improvement from Vista - they now have a toppings bar by the gelato area with sprinkles, marshmallows, brownie pieces, syrup, etc. If I didn't like the gelato flavors on a particular day, I would just get a bowl of soft serve and use the toppings bar.

We were able to remain at our table on Lido until our rooms were ready without feeling like we were taking up a table while newcomers were searching for a table. Perhaps this was because we only had a four-top. I know larger groups might have had a bit more difficulty finding tables together.

My sister will be thrilled with the gelato bar on the Vista. Its become our ritual on our cruises to go get ice cream each night about 10pm. And we never eat ice cream at home!

My sister will be thrilled with the gelato bar on the Vista. Its become our ritual on our cruises to go get ice cream each night about 10pm. And we never eat ice cream at home!

I wish they would have the gelato all the time, but they only have it during lunch. Sometimes the flavors are a little odd, but I usually liked one of the two. I think my favorite was butterscotch.

I wish they would have the gelato all the time, but they only have it during lunch. Sometimes the flavors are a little odd, but I usually liked one of the two. I think my favorite was butterscotch.

Well, that's good to know. One can dream...Dying to hear about the rest of your cruise, I'm hooked.

So we grabbed the last havana inside (on deck 6). It was only a little more than our family harbor inside on deck 2 and we are higher up so the vibrations won't be as bad. Also, DH and I can escape to havana pool area when our friends are doing stuff with their kids and /or we need a break from each other. But I WILL be booking another Horizon/Vista cruise and getting a havana cabana cabin. Yup.

So we grabbed the last havana inside (on deck 6). It was only a little more than our family harbor inside on deck 2 and we are higher up so the vibrations won't be as bad. Also, DH and I can escape to havana pool area when our friends are doing stuff with their kids and /or we need a break from each other. But I WILL be booking another Horizon/Vista cruise and getting a havana cabana cabin. Yup.

LOL! You are not going to regret it!

After eating, we headed down to find our cabins. We had cabana 5223 and the kids were across the hall in an interior 5225.

As far as cabins go, these really weren't any different than any other interior we had. Again, the only reason for booking this type of cabin was for access to the Havana area. Of note, the interior cabins did not seem to have as much storage space as our balcony. It wasn't a huge difference, but if you pack a little more "generously" it might be an issue.

The balcony was lovely. Again, the physical room is not much different than a traditional balcony, but the actual cabana area outside is great! It is spacious with two lounge chairs and a traditional chair. Yes, it was a bit disappointing to not have the swing, but in hindsight, we actually didn't end up using the balcony as much as we thought we would.

We did have a slight problem with our sliding door being difficult to open, but I think it was more of a function of "newness". Also, it squeaked pretty loudly at first, but guest services sent up maintenance right away with WD-40 to take care of it.

Rather than explore the ship, we all decided we needed showers and a nap before muster. We got a blissful 2-hour nap before the drill!

Muster drill was fairly quick and painless in the Meridian (aft) dining room. I'm really thankful that they moved these indoors within the past 3 years.

After we were dismissed, we headed up to the Tides Bar on Lido for our Facebook group's sail away party and meet & greet. As I said, we had a fairly active group heading into the cruise, so it was nice to put names with faces. We stayed on Lido while we sailed away from NY and saw the Statue of Liberty. We were on the forward deck searching for the ship's coin when we passed under the bridge, so that was pretty neat. It actually started to sprinkle once we passed under the bridge, so we went inside to get ready for dinner.

We boarded on Deck 2 by the Family Harbor area. Since our rooms weren't ready yet, we proceeded directly to Lido. We were seated in Lido (plenty of tables available) and ready for lunch by 12:30.

Thanks for this review and this specific detail about where you boarded. We will be in the family harbor area in December. I have not found FTTF available. It will be tough to be so close to our room and not be able to drop off the bags..

Looking forward to the rest of your review!