Viking Brings Manfredi's Restaurant to River Cruise Ships

Host Jazzbeau

I am sure Manfredi’s is excellent but as repeat Viking River customers we hate to lose the option to grab a quick meal after a long day of touring when you just don’t feel like an extended dinner in the dining room. It would be nice if there were other options available, but as I am reading the CC article and other comments in another thread, that is not an option. Just slightly disappointed to see this change for our upcoming July Paris to the Swiss Alps cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...

We're on Viking Mani at the end of November and I called Viking to see if Manfredi's was on our cruise. The rep had no idea what I was talking about. She said Manfredi's was on Oceans, not Rivers, and asked what my source of information was. I told her but I'm not sure she actually believed me. [emoji6] In any event, I got her to ask her supervisor about the fate of Manfredi's on the river cruises and it would appear that to all intends and purposes the experience has met a quiet death. I for one don't mind. River cruises can be exhausting and sometimes a nice, quiet, quick buffet dinner is all a person can take. Long live Aquavit !!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone have an update on the Manfredi's on Viking's Rhine River cruises? Is it still going or is it back to the Aquavit Terrace at night?

We just returned from the Hild (Paris to Swiss Alps) and thankfully it was set up as the Aquavit where we were able to eat several nights ordering from the same menu as the main dining room. We like to eat a more casual meal after a long day of touring. BTW it was packed every night.

We just returned from the Hild (Paris to Swiss Alps) and thankfully it was set up as the Aquavit where we were able to eat several nights ordering from the same menu as the main dining room. We like to eat a more casual meal after a long day of touring. BTW it was packed every night.

I hope the same is true on our Viking Rhine River cruise in September.

We've just come off Kvasir, on the Rhine and I can assure you that Aquavit is set up as more casual dining, using same menu as main dining room. It was lovely to sit on the back deck having our evening meal, so peaceful.

We were just on the Viking Hild in June (Paris to the Swiss Alps, reverse direction) and there was no Manfredi's. It must only be on a trial basis on select cruises. I was actually looking forward to trying it since we never use the Aquavit for dinner.

We've just come off Kvasir, on the Rhine and I can assure you that Aquavit is set up as more casual dining, using same menu as main dining room. It was lovely to sit on the back deck having our evening meal, so peaceful.

I'm pleased to learn this. Hope Manfredi's is not on the EIR in September.

• 1 month later...
We were just on the Viking Hild in June (Paris to the Swiss Alps, reverse direction) and there was no Manfredi's. It must only be on a trial basis on select cruises. I was actually looking forward to trying it since we never use the Aquavit for dinner.

Did you happen to do a review of your cruise? We are doing Paris to the Swiss Alps in early October. We will spend about a week in France before the cruise, but unfortunately can't do Zurich extension.

Did you happen to do a review of your cruise? We are doing Paris to the Swiss Alps in early October. We will spend about a week in France before the cruise, but unfortunately can't do Zurich extension.

I did not do a full review, just a few postings.

We had a marvelous time.

I did not do a full review, just a few postings.

We had a marvelous time.

I know you did the Zurich extension. Did you happen to talk to anyone that did the one day Highlights of the Swiss Alps? We are considering doing this because we are unable to extend in Zurich. I'm just wondering if all the time on the bus is worth it.

I know you did the Zurich extension. Did you happen to talk to anyone that did the one day Highlights of the Swiss Alps? We are considering doing this because we are unable to extend in Zurich. I'm just wondering if all the time on the bus is worth it.

We were gluttons for punishment and also took the Highlights of the Swiss Alps. We opted for the "max Swiss experience" figuring it might be our only trip there. Also, we were scheduled to be in Basel on a Monday and from what we read, most of the museums we wanted to visit were closed, so we opted for the optional excursion.

If you are not doing the extension it might be worth it. After all, you really should see the Alps when in Switzerland. The biggest problem we had was the weather. It was pouring rain and no visibility so the trip up the mountain was a complete waste of time. Also, that is where the included lunch is, so even if the weather was nice, you have very little time to see anything. On top of that, we ran very late. The ship departed Basel and we had to rendezvous somewhere on the Rhine in France. The coaches were driving on streets designed for small cars, getting stuck, backing up, etc. It was not pleasant. We arrived on board right before dinner. Granted, doing it from Paris to Basel eliminates that issue. For anyone doing it the other way, pass.

On the other hand I have nothing but great things to say about the Switzerland extension. It was a great experience and well worth the cost.

Here is a picture from the foot of the Eiger (Luckily, George Kennedy was no where to be found ;p ):

DfaFU1lWAAABQZB.jpg:large

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

We were gluttons for punishment and also took the Highlights of the Swiss Alps. We opted for the "max Swiss experience" figuring it might be our only trip there. Also, we were scheduled to be in Basel on a Monday and from what we read, most of the museums we wanted to visit were closed, so we opted for the optional excursion.

If you are not doing the extension it might be worth it. After all, you really should see the Alps when in Switzerland. The biggest problem we had was the weather. It was pouring rain and no visibility so the trip up the mountain was a complete waste of time. Also, that is where the included lunch is, so even if the weather was nice, you have very little time to see anything. On top of that, we ran very late. The ship departed Basel and we had to rendezvous somewhere on the Rhine in France. The coaches were driving on streets designed for small cars, getting stuck, backing up, etc. It was not pleasant. We arrived on board right before dinner. Granted, doing it from Paris to Basel eliminates that issue. For anyone doing it the other way, pass.

On the other hand I have nothing but great things to say about the Switzerland extension. It was a great experience and well worth the cost.

Here is a picture from the foot of the Eiger (Luckily, George Kennedy was no where to be found ;p ):

DfaFU1lWAAABQZB.jpg:large

Thanks so much for the info. We really wish we could do the extension, so will have to settle for the one day excursion. Hoping for better weather, and it sounds like doing since we are going the reverse direction, it might be better traffic wise.

Thanks so much for the info. We really wish we could do the extension, so will have to settle for the one day excursion. Hoping for better weather, and it sounds like doing since we are going the reverse direction, it might be better traffic wise.

e5a82fae83421ff94fca6fa4af998542.jpg

We had great weather for the one day excursion which was a long day but so worth it. Hope you have the same!

Thanks! When did you go? We are going in October. Are there other excursions you would recommend?

We were there in July, it was hot for most of the trip except for when we were in Zermatt on the extension. We did several of the optional excursions. Taste of Alsace was one of our favorites and Martin Luther and Worms was our least favorite. We may have gotten a bad guide on that one but overall felt there was too much packed into the day to enjoy.

Overall it was a great trip!

Thanks! When did you go? We are going in October. Are there other excursions you would recommend?

We went in June. We really enjoyed the Bernkatel-Kues wine tasting. I’m not a big wine drinker but I really enjoyed this excursion. You are given an excellent walking tour of this quaint village. (Be sure to see the “skinny house”). At the end you end up in in enormous cellar with hundreds of wines from the region that you can sample. Each area of the cellar has has numbered bins and a corresponding open bottle on a wine barrel or in a cooler. You walk around and drink as much and as many as you like. Great opportunity to take a few bottles back to the ship.

We also recommend Heidelberg. The castle ruins are fantastic as is the city. It’s a beautiful place to stroll around.

We went in June. We really enjoyed the Bernkatel-Kues wine tasting. I’m not a big wine drinker but I really enjoyed this excursion. You are given an excellent walking tour of this quaint village. (Be sure to see the “skinny house”). At the end you end up in in enormous cellar with hundreds of wines from the region that you can sample. Each area of the cellar has has numbered bins and a corresponding open bottle on a wine barrel or in a cooler. You walk around and drink as much and as many as you like. Great opportunity to take a few bottles back to the ship.

We also recommend Heidelberg. The castle ruins are fantastic as is the city. It’s a beautiful place to stroll around.

Thanks so much! We were considering the Bernkastel-Kues excursion. Most in our group aren't wine drinkers, either. Does the boat actually dock in Bernkastel. From what I can gather from Viking, it sounds like they dock about dinner time? We are trying to decide if we just want to do our own or do the wine tasting.