How formal is too formal for RCI?

wyndward

Hi all!

I’m headed off on a RCI cruise in a couple of months, to the Mediterranean. It’s a longer cruise with multiple formal nights.

I happen to have an absolutely lovely floor length evening gown by Halston. It’s quite formal, made of a heavy silk cotton blend and with 8 princess seams and impeccable construction- it’s a rather luxurious gown, and one of my favorites!

Obviously I’ve not much opportunity to wear this around, and I was wondering if it’d be too formal for a RCI cruise? I’d love to take the opportunity to wear it. This is my first RCI cruise.

Thank you for the help!

You will see all levels of formality. Your dress sounds lovely and at the top of the levels. But there will be others dressed equally formal. I am one who loves to dress for formal nights, but I go with cocktail type dresses. I don't feel comfortable in long dresses.

Wear your dress. You will be appropriately dressed.

You will see all levels of formality. Your dress sounds lovely and at the top of the levels. But there will be others dressed equally formal. I am one who loves to dress for formal nights, but I go with cocktail type dresses. I don't feel comfortable in long dresses.

Wear your dress. You will be appropriately dressed.

I agree! Your dress sounds amazing. In my experience, you’ll be at the upper end of the ‘formal’ range, but you won’t be the only one that is that dressed up by any means. I also tend to go with shorter cocktail dresses, but I’d say at least 15-20% of the women, in general, are in long gowns. I’d take the dress if I had it!

Lovely, thank you both so very much. I’m so excited to have another opportunity to wear this gown. Now, how to fit it in with my 44lb weight limits- eek!

(On a related note- does RCI offer steaming/pressing for gowns? How much is it?)

Lovely, thank you both so very much. I’m so excited to have another opportunity to wear this gown. Now, how to fit it in with my 44lb weight limits- eek!

(On a related note- does RCI offer steaming/pressing for gowns? How much is it?)

Maybe wear it on the plane?;) Sorry, I don’t know if the laundry service offers pressing only, but I’d guess they do. You could call them to be sure - or have your TA call if you booked through one.

Maybe wear it on the plane?;) Sorry, I don’t know if the laundry service offers pressing only, but I’d guess they do. You could call them to be sure - or have your TA call if you booked through one.

Pressing only is definitely offered. I sometimes just wash DH dress shirt(s) and then send them out to be ironed as soon as we get onboard and meet our steward. They do a beautiful job;much better than I can do, and it only costs a few dollars. :D