What to do in Nuka Hiva and Hiva Oa?

liamur14

There is no reef around the islands and therefore the waves come up to the beach. I don't think that snorkeling is a good idea. It's been a while since I've been there, don't remember seeing kayak rentals. The locals use outrigger canoes for sports.

We were on the Aranui with included excursions. In Nuku Hiva, jeeps took us up to the old crater rim with wonderful views, then over to the next valley. We also visited the church with its carved altar. In Hiva Oa, they drove us up to the cemetery to see Gauguin's grave, wonderful views again.

I haven't seen Hiva Oa on cruise ship itineraries. The port entrance is very tight. Which ship are you on? Be aware, the Marquesas islands don't have an extensive infrastructure. Your ship may already have contracted most tour guides. Check with your roll call as well.

Check out the video on the Aranui 5 to get an impression of the islands.

No snorkeling in Nuku Hiva as others have said- no reef. I'm not much of a land tour person but Temarama Tours with Richard was quite excellent via 4x4 vehicle. Nuku Hiva is ruggedly beautiful- reminds me a lot of Kauai. You can read more on TripAdvisor, but the tour displays the incredible scenery, and historical and archeological sites. Richard is a fascinating speaker and proud of his island heritage. I didn't think I would enjoy it as I'm a water person too, but it was terrific. If you email Richard be prepared to wait a few days for a reply. Internet service on the island is poor.

I haven't seen Hiva Oa on cruise ship itineraries. The port entrance is very tight. Which ship are you on? Be aware, the Marquesas islands don't have an extensive infrastructure. Your ship may already have contracted most tour guides. Check with your roll call as well.

I am going on the Maasdam and we are going to Hiva Oa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any experiences and suggestions on what to do in Nuka Hva and Hiva Oa? Any snorkelling tours, beach snorkelling? kayaking? Thanks

No SCUBA or snorkel. It's a rugged coastline... think crashing waves. A stunning Landrover drive with Richard Ellis on an 'Up and Over and Thru' the jungle trip is a 'Must See' archeology trip; with lunch at Yvonne's on Nuku Hiva. I've did it a few times. Excellent. GOOGLE it up.... you'll see.