Crystal River Cruises evening dress?

corpkid

Hello all,

We are about to embark on our first river cruise on Crystal Debussy. As we will be traversing Switzerland via trains for a few weeks prior, we are packing very lightly and would like to bring only one pair of shoes that we plan to wear over. Is it OK to wear casual shoes in the dining room at night?

Thank you!

Hello all,

We are about to embark on our first river cruise on Crystal Debussy. As we will be traversing Switzerland via trains for a few weeks prior, we are packing very lightly and would like to bring only one pair of shoes that we plan to wear over. Is it OK to wear casual shoes in the dining room at night?

Thank you!

Are you talking athletic shoes? It will be OK, but you might be the only one in them. Having been on 2 Crystal river cruises, I'd say most are in "country club casual" in the evening. It's probably better than a group on the Christmas cruise on the Mozart who wore the slippers Crystal provides in the cabin!!

... Is it OK to wear casual shoes in the dining room at night?...
We were on Crystal Bach a few months ago and were surprised at how casual the dress standard was in the evening. It was much less elegant than on the ocean ships. Many people stayed in the clothes they toured in during the day while others made some effort to clean up for dinner. I often saw jeans, khakis, sweatshirts and athletic shoes in Waterside and nobody seemed to care. I brought several nice dresses which I decided would be out of place so they stayed in the closet for our entire cruise! I think you'll be just fine with casual shoes in Waterside.

...we are packing very lightly and would like to bring only one pair of shoes that we plan to wear over...
I am highly in favor of light packing (I have been to all 7 continents [yes including Antarctica] with just a carry on), but I would never consider not having backup footwear. Shoes can get wet, shoes need time to air out, shoes might get damaged. As a long time light packer I still suggest a second pair of footwear for your multi week trip.

We just came back from a 2-week Rhine River cruise on Crystal Bach. Crystal passengers seemed to be more dressy in the evening than say Viking river cruises. Just a guess that 35 to 40% of the evening dining passengers were quite dressed up like in country club attire with nice evening dresses for ladies and sports coat or suits for men. We made a point to wear business casual in the ship's main restaurant in the evening. However, during the day, passengers were wearing shorts, T shirts, sandles, ... However, should you decide to participate in the optional Michelin Star restaurant dining offered by Crystal at most major ports, you need to dress up, at least a sports coat is highly recommended whereas Crystal's own optional Vintage Room wine dinner event held in the Vintage Room is more business casual (no jackets required for men).