Ladies what clothes do you pack for your Europe river cruise?

Cruiseoholic000

I do bring my own toiletries in travel size containers, don't usually bring appliances (I might bring a curling iron or a flat iron, depending on how I feel before the trip and how long my hair is at that point). One thing we've discussed in the beauty/fashion forum is to test how much product you actually use over the period of time you'll be gone. Get a 100ml bottle of shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hairspray - see how much you use in 7 days or 10 days or 20 days or however long you'll be gone. Then you'll know. If you don't need 100ml (that's the max size for being carry-on liquid compliant) BRING LESS. For serums, I usually only need a teeny tiny amount - I have a couple of very small sample containers from nordstrom I use for those.

If you want to bring less weight, you need to downsize the size and/or number of products you bring. It's that simple. How you decide what you want to downsize is up to you. Throw everything onto a bed and start thinking about your options;p

Thank you, I really like this idea of trying the sizes! What is this beauty/fashion forum you referred to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The products provided by the RC lines are usually high end. For hair products, your salon may carry travel size.

This is true too! In most cases We should be able to “survive” with the stuff supplied :)

Over the years, I just pared down my beauty routine even at home. When traveling, it's even more so. I just assume my hair will not be as up to par as it would be for a night out at home. So be it. I've decided not to worry about what other travelers around me think. I came to this realization in Bora Bora, when I spent a decent amount of time doing hair and make up to go to dinner with dh, to walk out the door into a wall of humidity, and soon look liked like I hadn't done a thing. LOL

And yes to the smaller bottles. I have a set of very small sample bottles that I use. For my face lotion, I pump a few pumps for each day I'll be traveling into it, plus a couple. If I'm not going to be gone that long, I don't even bring my night lotion, just use the morning one, so one less container. I use hair gel instead of my normal mousse. I can scoop out a small portion into a travel container. On a short trip, I use hotel shampoo/conditioner. I even have a smaller comb and brush I keep with my travel kit.

I try to travel with my prescriptions in their own bottles, but I do frequently put OTC meds together, ones I know I can't confuse, and I have a few smaller bottles I've saved for this.

FYI, my mom used to travel with just that trip's days worth of meds. Then she had one trip that was delayed 2 weeks - getting her meds refilled just out of state was hard. She now travels with more than she'll need. Extra pills don't take up that much space.

Now, dd has a huge amount of curly hair - a typical bottle of hotel conditioner is single use for her. So these tricks don't work the same for everyone.

I keep my toiletry bag packed all the time. Travel size containers, pared down routine, and necessities only.....I pack my meds in a two week daily container and then add a few extra days in a small pill bottle. 5 to 6 tops, 3 pants, 2 -3 pair of shoes, cardigan or hoodie. All tops have to be able to be worn with all three pants. A few scarves and a necklace and 2 pair of earrings. The ship has laundry and I take advantage of it. I am responsible for my bags so I have learned to take less. I find it is actually much easier with less........It has taken me a number of trips to figure out what works.

Thank you, I really like this idea of trying the sizes! What is this beauty/fashion forum you referred to?

Here is a link to the Fashion Forum, click on it and you can scroll through hundreds of topics:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Well, I hate to admit it but there is no way I can go on a trip with just a carry on - unless it's for a weekend. We will be river cruising on Scenic and doing befores and afters for a total of 34 days. I am bringing 2 full size suitcases as I loathe carry ons and they will never fit all my things. I believe in porters. I like to dress nice and I don't care what other people think. I also don't do laundry on vacation or wash out undies every night. I have at least now pared it down to 6-7 pairs of shoes. I used to take 10 minimum. It's my holiday and I should be able to wear what I like when I like....and I like choices and I'm willing to accept the consequences. I applaud those who can get along with a carry on. It's just not me. Now if anyone wants a packing list that covers the contents of 2 suitcases, please let me know. lol. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bravo to you.

I tend to take a bigger suitcase too, and a separate shoe bag. I can manage with 5 pair of shoes, not including the ones I wear traveling. I do take a pair of workout shoe since I tend to use them in the gym every day. Don't ever wear hiking shoes unless I am on the trail, likewise my gym shoes.

I have found that I can dress comfortably and fashionably but need my bigger suitcase. I can mange it myself so am unapologetic about it.

Bravo to you.

I tend to take a bigger suitcase too, and a separate shoe bag. I can manage with 5 pair of shoes, not including the ones I wear traveling. I do take a pair of workout shoe since I tend to use them in the gym every day. Don't ever wear hiking shoes unless I am on the trail, likewise my gym shoes.

I have found that I can dress comfortably and fashionably but need my bigger suitcase. I can mange it myself so am unapologetic about it.

Good for you. This particular trip doesn't require us to move around our own luggage, but we have really good suitcases with four wheels that I can push along, even full, with just a minimal amount of hand pressure. My purse/bag pops right on top and off I go. Glad to know I'm not the joy one!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just want to reiterate that on RCs, most folks don’t get dressed up. The ladies might wear a sparkly top or simple dresses especially for Captain’s Welcome and Farewell. Other than that, some folks actually wear their touring outfits to dinner.

I just want to reiterate that on RCs, most folks don’t get dressed up. The ladies might wear a sparkly top or simple dresses especially for Captain’s Welcome and Farewell. Other than that, some folks actually wear their touring outfits to dinner.

Echoing your post about casual attire on River Cruises. I did change for dinner but that is because I normally always shower before dinner, especially after touring all day.

I'm a pretty low maintenance person but I still have trouble with packing all our toiletries. Allergies mean certain facial soaps, lotions sunscreens, etc for both my husband & I & I need both mousse & hairspray to get my hair even remotely decent so I have a lot that goes in my checked bag.

BUT I was on Target's website the other day & their travel toiletry section went on forever. I found 3 oz hairspray & mousse as well as the 3oz soap & lotion that we both need. I bought 2 of each of those plus a few other things & I MAY be able to fit it all in our carry on bags. I know I'll be set for any long weekends that's for sure.

Also, thanks for the tip about trying out 3oz bottles ahead of a trip to see how much you really need for a week, etc!

My goal on this cruise to to prove to my husband that I can pack my case and not add any stuff to his! I'll never make it as a "Carry on only" traveler except for weekend trips ... but I do want to go with a small to med case and get all my stuff it it.

I'm a pretty low maintenance person but I still have trouble with packing all our toiletries. Allergies mean certain facial soaps, lotions sunscreens, etc for both my husband & I & I need both mousse & hairspray to get my hair even remotely decent so I have a lot that goes in my checked bag.

BUT I was on Target's website the other day & their travel toiletry section went on forever. I found 3 oz hairspray & mousse as well as the 3oz soap & lotion that we both need. I bought 2 of each of those plus a few other things & I MAY be able to fit it all in our carry on bags. I know I'll be set for any long weekends that's for sure.

Also, thanks for the tip about trying out 3oz bottles ahead of a trip to see how much you really need for a week, etc!

Just remember that the carry-on limit is 3 oz per bottle, but all your liquids and gels need to fit into a 1 quart bag.

By the way, I have quite short hair, and a 3 oz bottle of shampoo lasts me for over 3 weeks. Also, I generally don't buy travel sizes now that I have bottles available; I transfer from my larger bottles at home. It doesn't work for everything, but it helps.

Here is a link to the Fashion Forum, click on it and you can scroll through hundreds of topics:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Thank you, Lois - what a jam and a wealth of "girlie" knowledge! :) I have a lot to study in the next few months! :)

Our next trip will be traveling in December from a NZ summer (like US spring weather) to Denver (winter) for two weeks, and then onto the Caribbean for two weeks - hence packing is in issue and I will have to be more careful than usual! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for our third river cruise. 14 days total travel time. We both do a carry-on size bag and a small tote. Get past the idea that you have to wear a different outfit every day or evening. No one cares. No one notices. We're all in the same boat. You ignore everyone else's wrinkled clothes because no one has an iron. Ladies change things up with their accessories and maybe a fancy top for a couple of nights. My wife pairs everything with black slacks. Maybe khaki for daytime. I wear khakis all the time with a variety of solid colored golf shirts and a coupe of dress shirts. Pretty simple to do carry on only and takes the worry out of your bag not showing up at the airport.

I like to buy travel size hairspray, deodorant and toothpaste. If there's any of it left at the end of the cruise, I toss it to make room for the stuff I'm bringing home.

I haven't tried packing cubes, but I use the extra large ziplock bags. We roll our clothes and they go in them. If our suitcases get wet, our clothes stay dry! Coming home, it's a free for all - everything is dirty so it gets crammed in wherever it fits ;) .

I like Columbia tops, very lightweight and easy to pack, they don't wrinkle and I can add a necklace or scarf and dress them up for dinner. Also very easy to wash in the sink and hang dry overnight if necessary.

Totally agree with the extra large Ziploc bags. They hold outfits together & the ones in the carryon are a cinch to repack if the TSA does a more in-depth bag search. I also use the Ziploc bags to line the drawers/closet shelves when I'm unpacking (yes, I'm a bit of a germaphobe:).

I was wondering what light clothes do you bring?

My first river cruise is coming up in September. I've checked, and average daily highs should be around 70, and overnight lows in the low 50s. This is roughly what I plan to take:

Bottoms:

-a pair of skinny jeans

-a pair of slim fitting, black stretch twill (slightly) cropped pants

-a pair of black Bermuda shorts

-a Columbia brand skort

-a pair of black leggings

-a pair of dark wash, dressy boot-cut jeans

Tops:

-3 or 4 sleeveless or short-sleeved tees/tanks

-a long sleeved tee or two

-a lightweight long-sleeved sweater for days that are a little chillier

-a couple of nicer tops (probably halter style, because I like them and they are flattering on me)

Dresses:

-a couple of casual t-shirt dresses

-a maxi dress

Outerwear:

-a lightweight cardigan, and possibly a heavier one

-a lightweight all-weather jacket

Shoes:

-1 or 2 pair of Vionic sandals (I love this brand. Good cushioning and arch support, but styles still cute enough to. not look like "orthopedic" shoes.)

-a pair of cute, black suede sneakers from Vionic

-possibly a pair of neutral wedges

Our trip will be 12 days in total, including travel days, and most items will be in a black/white/gray color scheme for mix and match purposes. I have no problem wearing things more than once, provided I haven't sweated like crazy in them, which I doubt given the average temps, and I have no issue paying for laundry service if necessary.

For daytime/excursions, I plan to wear the skinny jeans, cropped pants, or skort with the various tees/tanks, or the t-shirt dresses, with or without leggings depending on weather. I will add a cardigan for cooler mornings, a jacket as needed, and sandals or sneakers on my feet. The Bermuda shorts will probably be mainly for relaxing on the sun deck, although I'm not beyond wearing them in town on a warm day. I know shorts aren't popular with Europeans but I'm not a European, and I think the Bermuda length is enough to not make me look like a complete bumpkin, LOL.

For evenings, I know river cruises are very casual, but I still like to dress up just a little. Some days I'll probably stay in whatever I was wearing that day, but other evenings I'll wear the maxi dress, or the dressy jeans with a nicer top and some wedges.

We are doing a bicycle excursion one day, and I'd like to be hands-free that day, so I'm thinking about getting some cargo leggings that have zipper pockets on the side, and maybe a pullover top with zipper pockets, so that I can fit my phone/ID/money etc. in the zipper pockets and not have to take any sort of purse or bag with me.

I also use 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. Place like items together folded and squeeze the air out. No more wrinkles than what they went in with. Lol. Keeps clean/dirty separated during the trip.

Packed my kids clothes in "outfits" for camp to vacation and took away a lot of discussion/arguments. Everyone manages their own bags and we take one checked each and one carry on each. Youngest son insists on taking full size hair/personal products. Your bag dude!! I carry travel size mouse and hair spray but rely on hotels/cruise line for shampoo, etc. take sample size products and the minimum where I can.

This works for me and my family. Took several trips to figure it out (and convince my family!). YMMV lol I like planning our activities and excursions so we have a general outline of necessary clothing. Enjoy your trip!

I understand from Viking that you cannot take a curling iron. Is this true on other River lines?

Yes. They are a fire hazard on ships, even the big cruise ships. Same goes for your hair dryer. Also forbidden are extension cords and devices with surge protectors (which will explode).

Been reading about it on another thread. It has to do with the electrical plants on ships being different from the electrical plants that supply electricity to your home; what is safe in your home may not be on a ship and the crew does not have time to check the hair appliances of everyone on the ship. Be safe. Obey the rules. Stick with the hair dryer in your cabin. If you must have your hair curled or straightened or whatever, make an appointment for the hair salon, where the appliances have been tested before they are selected for use on the ship.

See Viking's prohibited items list on MyVikingJourney: http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/mvj/onboard-prohibited-list.pdf

there is nothing on there about no curling irons??

Viking’s FAQ states “Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board.”