How long has Summit been sailing out of Bayonne?

gaylemh

I wish they would bring a new ship to Bayonne. It seems Summit has been in Bayonne for a very long time.

The Summit has been here summers since May 2010. DW and I were on that first sailing out of Bayonne. It is scheduled to be back here again next year.

The Summit has been here summers since May 2010. DW and I were on that first sailing out of Bayonne. It is scheduled to be back here again next year.

Has anyone heard anything about what celebrity may plan for cape liberty for 2020 and beyond?

I wish they would bring a new ship to Bayonne. It seems Summit has been in Bayonne for a very long time.

With the limited number of ships in the fleet maybe the question would be if a different ship were to replace Summit, then would Summit now replace that itinerary? It may be that it would not be feasible based on the other ship's passenger load on that existing itinerary that it would not be supported by Summit, or some other planning issue. Maybe as more Edge class ships are launched and the fleet grows an S class ship could be based there.

Prior to Summit, Constellation sailed out of Bayonne, I believe starting in 2004 or 2005. I know we sailed on her in 2007, 2008 and 2009 from Bayonne.

Silhouette was there from November 2011 until May 2012 when she came over from Rome. We sailed on her March 17, 2012. It was a nice change, but we prefer the M Class over the S Class.

Why? Just wondering?

M Class are smaller (less passengers). They have more storage in staterooms, 3 banks of elevators, FWD, Midship and AFT. Ship flows better in my opinion. S Class seems choppy. Plus I hate, I mean hate the over the bed storage as I'm barely 5 feet tall. Obviously no petite people had any input in designing the S Class cabins.

In 2006 Celebrity Zenith sailed out of Bayonne to Bermuda, it was our first cruise. The ship got sold the next year and is the Azmara Journey. It was a beautiful ship.

Bernadette

Azamara Journey was never a Celebrity ship. Zenith went to Pullmantur. Azamara was formed with two of the R ships and did sail from Bayonne after Zenith was sold. EM

In 2006 Celebrity Zenith sailed out of Bayonne to Bermuda, it was our first cruise. The ship got sold the next year and is the Azmara Journey. It was a beautiful ship.

Bernadette

Two different ships. Celebrity Zenith is currently opering with Pullmantur under the name Zenith. Azamara Journey is an R ship built for Renaissance Cruises, R Six. When Renaissance Cruises folded R Six was acquired to by Pullmantur. In 2007 Zenith was transfered to Pullmantur and Blue Dream ( former R Six ) from Pullmantur became Azamara Journey.

I had Celebrity Zenith booked in 2007 to Bermuda. When the switch took place I was rebooked on Azamara Journey at no additional cost in an equivelent cabin. I will have to check and make sure that cruise is still credited.

Azamara Journey was never a Celebrity ship. Zenith went to Pullmantur. Azamara was formed with two of the R ships and did sail from Bayonne after Zenith was sold. EM

Actually it was a Celebrity Ship for about 6 months before they started Azamara as a separate line. They actually took people who were booked on the Zenith for at least a year and moved them over to the Journey. That summer was the only time there were children's programs on the Journey.

As Charles alluded to he was one of those who had their bookings changed however at the time the ship was just called the Journey and not the Azamara Journey because Azamara had not been created yet.

Actually it was a Celebrity Ship for about 6 months before they started Azamara as a separate line. They actually took people who were booked on the Zenith for at least a year and moved them over to the Journey. That summer was the only time there were children's programs on the Journey.

As Charles alluded to he was one of those who had their bookings changed however at the time the ship was just called the Journey and not the Azamara Journey because Azamara had not been created yet.

The ship I sailed on was on Azamara. It was called Azamara Journey, not Journey. I even had a “butler”. See my picture below of the ship docked in St. George’s Bermuda. Notice the name painted on the side of the ship. It says Azamara Journey.

c6b5ad74efc91d084fdafa0eaf315e60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ship I sailed on was on Azamara. It was called Azamara Journey, not Journey. I even had a “butler”. See my picture below of the ship docked in St. George’s Bermuda. Notice the name painted on the side of the ship. It says Azamara Journey.

c6b5ad74efc91d084fdafa0eaf315e60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure when they changed the name but I do know for a fact it was Journey for a few months under Celebrity.

It's possible that you did the ship the year after the change, I was booked on it as a Celebrity ship. My cruise history shows Journey and the paperwork we got on the cruise says it was a Celebrity ship. Took the kids who used the kids program. I'll try and find the paperwork this weekend.

Edited by dkjretired

Not sure when the changed the name but I do know for a fact it was Journey for a few months under Celebrity.

I believe the source of confusion is that it was transfered to Celebrity from Pullmentur, but then they changed course (Celebrity was itself confused about their plans) and then they decided to establish the new Azamara brand. I don't think she ever sailed in revenue service as a Celebrity branded ship.

With the limited number of ships in the fleet maybe the question would be if a different ship were to replace Summit, then would Summit now replace that itinerary? It may be that it would not be feasible based on the other ship's passenger load on that existing itinerary that it would not be supported by Summit, or some other planning issue. Maybe as more Edge class ships are launched and the fleet grows an S class ship could be based there.

Hey philly burbs neighbor! I do agree with your reasoning here. Once Edge class has launched a couple of ships then perhaps Bayonne gets an S-Class or even an Edge Class. Parent company RCI has previously done just that when they launched Quantum class. They assigned a new ship (Anthem) to Bayonne and it has been pretty successful. I think RCI is quite committed to Cape Liberty.

I believe the source of confusion is that it was transfered to Celebrity from Pullmentur, but then they changed course (Celebrity was itself confused about their plans) and then they decided to establish the new Azamara brand. I don't think she ever sailed in revenue service as a Celebrity branded ship.

Have to disagree respectfully since we actually sailed on it as a Celebrity ship. I was also on this board at the time and there was loads of talks about it. I don't know all the ins and outs of renting, selling ships but can tell you that my paperwork said Celebrity. As I stated it was very short time. Remember that at the time Celebrity did not put the Celebrity name in front of their ships. The ships were knows as Zenith as an example, not Celebrity Zenith.

Also on the topic of this thread, every year for the past few years we talk about getting an S class ship into Bayonne for the Bermuda run, never happens.

Hey philly burbs neighbor! I do agree with your reasoning here. Once Edge class has launched a couple of ships then perhaps Bayonne gets an S-Class or even an Edge Class. Parent company RCI has previously done just that when they launched Quantum class. They assigned a new ship (Anthem) to Bayonne and it has been pretty successful. I think RCI is quite committed to Cape Liberty.

Yeah RCI has made a commitment there including the recent investment to revitalize the port facility. They also have rotated ships (based on fleet balance and itineraries) in recent years to include Explorer, Liberty, and currently Anthem as you indicate. Other ships have done short stints for specific itineraries. Interestingly, Quantum was supposed to be there but when it was launched harbor enhancements were required in Bermuda to handle that ship class that weren't completed in time, so Quantum was relocated to China and Liberty was based in Bayonne until Anthem was launched.

My point in this is to support my earlier comment regarding fleet size and port assignments. RCI has continued to add ships over the years to their fleet which has allowed - and in some instances, forced - flexibility with port assignments. Celebrity has not added a new ship since 2012 so there is not that same flexibility with home port changes. But with 5 new ships planned to launch (including Edge) over the next 5 years, that will likely change.

...and go Birds!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Yeah RCI has made a commitment there including the recent investment to revitalize the port facility. They also have rotated ships (based on fleet balance and itineraries) in recent years to include Explorer, Liberty, and currently Anthem as you indicate. Other ships have done short stints for specific itineraries. Interestingly, Quantum was supposed to be there but when it was launched harbor enhancements were required in Bermuda to handle that ship class that weren't completed in time, so Quantum was relocated to China and Liberty was based in Bayonne until Anthem was launched.

My point in this is to support my earlier comment regarding fleet size and port assignments. RCI has continued to add ships over the years to their fleet which has allowed - and in some instances, forced - flexibility with port assignments. Celebrity has not added a new ship since 2012 so there is not that same flexibility with home port changes. But with 5 new ships planned to launch (including Edge) over the next 5 years, that will likely change.

...and go Birds!

Assuming they don’t get rid of any ships

• 2 months later...
Have to disagree respectfully since we actually sailed on it as a Celebrity ship. I was also on this board at the time and there was loads of talks about it. I don't know all the ins and outs of renting, selling ships but can tell you that my paperwork said Celebrity. As I stated it was very short time. Remember that at the time Celebrity did not put the Celebrity name in front of their ships. The ships were knows as Zenith as an example, not Celebrity Zenith.

Also on the topic of this thread, every year for the past few years we talk about getting an S class ship into Bayonne for the Bermuda run, never happens.

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Zenith and it was def branded as such. We just got off the Summit and met a couple who sailed the same summer on the Zenith we did as our first cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Zenith and it was def branded as such. We just got off the Summit and met a couple who sailed the same summer on the Zenith we did as our first cruise.

When I get back from Iceland I will have to dig out my old hard drive and see if I have any Zenith photos.

Edited by Charles4515

Prior to Summit, Constellation sailed out of Bayonne, I believe starting in 2004 or 2005. I know we sailed on her in 2007, 2008 and 2009 from Bayonne.

Silhouette was there from November 2011 until May 2012 when she came over from Rome. We sailed on her March 17, 2012. It was a nice change, but we prefer the M Class over the S Class.

We were on Silhouette from Bayonne RT to Carib...

It was a great cruise...but we returned to snow all over our car...!

Also cruised Summit several times ....Hawaii , Carib and more recently Bayonne to Bermuda..at that time we found it a bit tired..Hope the Re furb perks her up!

Zenith was Celebrity's third ship after Meridien and Horizon. Horizon and Zenith were Celebrity's first new builds. We sailed on all three with our kids to Bermuda out of NYC. At some point in the 90s, Celebrity had two ships sailing to Bermuda, one left on Saturday and arrived on Monday, the other on Sunday and arrived on Tues. Both ships went to Hamilton and St. George and what was nice is that you were in Bermuda for four days and not the current three. Back then Bermuda was much more restrictive on how many ships went there. One of the highlights of the trip was going through the cut into St. George. This was such a narrow cut that you could almost touch the people sitting on rocks watching

Interesting story back then is they had a male singer who was excellent, can't remember his name but he was a Tom Jones type singer. He would go out on the Sunday ship, do his shows in the theater and then switch over to the Saturday ship, do a couple of shows and get off on Saturday.