Help Me to Understand....International Travel Questions

Roz

Compared to the general public, I'm probably considered a somewhat sophisticated traveler. I've been on close to 25 cruises, including 2 European river cruises, and also do air/land travel in the US. Despite all this, every time I leave the US, I feel like a country bumpkin.

Would someone please explain Schengen and non-Schengen? There are lines in European airports with these designations, and I never know what to do or where to go, and people behind me get impatient. I'm a US citizen with a US passport...what am I supposed to do?

Last year I had a flight from Budapest to Brussels, then on to Dulles. When I tried to board the plane in Brussels, I was told I needed a special sticker on my passport. I had to get out of line and see a gate agent. She asked me all kinds of questions and then gave me the sticker. I didn't see a sign or hear an announcement indicating I needed to do this.

And passport machines, I'd never seen or heard of one until I landed at Dulles last year. Again, agent and other passengers impatient with me because I didn't know how to use it.

How/where did the rest of you find out about these things? Is there a travel primer somewhere that explains how to navigate foreign airports or what to do when returning back to the US?

I have another river cruise coming up in October, and as much as I enjoy the cruise and port tours, the flights before and after fill me with dread. Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Roz

Hello Roz,

past cruisers from your country I am sure will be happy to help you very soon. Meanwhile, the nerdy person in me would just like to start you off with the basics. First: Schengen is a village in Luxembourg, but happens to be located at the point where the borders of Luxembourg, France and Germany meet. The Schengen agreement was signed there and is essentially about free movement within the EU and affiliated states: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

So, for example, if you travel from France to Spain you travel within the Schengen area.

Coming from the US, for example, to Amsterdam, you are non-Schengen and enter Schengen. If you would like to know more about Schengen, this is how the European commission explains it: https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/sites/homeaffairs/files/e-library/docs/schengen_brochure/schengen_brochure_dr3111126_en.pdf

And your government has what looks like a helpful page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/schengen.html

Nearly forgot, the UK is not in Schengen, so flying into London and then onto Amsterdam is potentially different from directly entering Schengen. I get a notice to register my data now every time I enter the UK and I wonder what will happen after Brexit.

Over to the others...

And have a good cruise.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

Look up Schengen area in Wikipedia for a description.

On the way to Europe

If both your transfer airport and your final airport are within the Schengen area, you go through passport control at the first airport (and line up in the non-Schengen line because you don't have a passport from one of the Schengen states). Your bags are checked through, so you collect them at the final airport, and go through customs there (either the green line for nothing to declare or the red line for a customs declaration).

If the transfer airport is in the Schengen area, but the final destination is not, you are a transit passenger. You don't go through passport control at the first airport, you may or may not have to go through security again, and you get on the next flight. At the final destination you go through passport control and customs.

(If you are flying directly to your destination, all you need to know is that any passport control line that says anything except Other Passports isn't for you. You go through passport control and customs at the airport.)

I'm not exactly sure how the return works., so I'll leave that for someone else.

""Last year I had a flight from Budapest to Brussels, then on to Dulles. When I tried to board the plane in Brussels, I was told I needed a special sticker on my passport. I had to get out of line and see a gate agent. She asked me all kinds of questions and then gave me the sticker. I didn't see a sign or hear an announcement indicating I needed to do this. ::

That had nothing to do with Schengen but with a pre security check for TSA. Many US airlines do that in Europe before you can board the plane.

This is a list with countries in the Schengen agreement: https://www.bankbazaar.com/visa/schengen-countries-list.html?ck=Y%2BziX71XnZjIM9ZwEflsyDYlRL7gaN4W0xhuJSr9Iq7aMYwRm2IPACTQB2XBBtGG&rc=1

Would someone please explain Schengen and non-Schengen? There are lines in European airports with these designations, and I never know what to do or where to go, and people behind me get impatient. I'm a US citizen with a US passport...what am I supposed to do?

For a US passport holder arriving in the US, you will see signs and separate queues for

- US citizens and residents and

- non US citizens

Its the same in Europe except that various countries share the term called "Schengen"

As a a US passport holder, you follow signs and queues for non-Schengen since you do not hold a passport from a country in the Schengen zone. If you have a passport from France, Germany, Greece, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, you follow signs for the Schengen passport holders.

Basically, if you do not know what a term like "Schengen" means, you are in the "non" category.

It is more confusing in UK and Ireland which are in the European Union but not part of the Schengen zone as they want to maintain the integrity of their own border controls.

Last year I had a flight from Budapest to Brussels, then on to Dulles. When I tried to board the plane in Brussels, I was told I needed a special sticker on my passport. I had to get out of line and see a gate agent. She asked me all kinds of questions and then gave me the sticker. I didn't see a sign or hear an announcement indicating I needed to do this.

As others have said, this is a US TSA requirement and happens everywhere in the world. In order to ensure the safety of passengers on flights to the US, all airlines are required to undertake interviews.

If you are connecting flights, this interview cannot be done by the airline that flies you between two European airports as staff have to be "trained". It has to be undertaken just before you depart for your US-bound flight. From my experience, it is not so much what you answer (as chances as they won't know if the answer is correct) but the confidence in which you express the answers. For tourists to the US, they ask what you plan to do in the US. For US citizens, they then to ask what you have done in while out of the US.

If you are connecting at an airport where you can stay airside at the airport, just go to the gate agent before they call the flight and let them know you are connecting at the airport and have not clear security questions questions. If these interview agents are around prior to the flight, you can have your interview before they call the flights.

This does not happen at US airports since you are already in the US and subject to US TSA security standards.

And passport machines, I'd never seen or heard of one until I landed at Dulles last year. Again, agent and other passengers impatient with me because I didn't know how to use it.

This is a US cost and time-saving scheme; time saving for the immigration staff, not for you. The machines will collect standard information from you and your passport scan. Hopefully, this will reduce the time spent in front of the immigration officer which is the bottle neck.

How/where did the rest of you find out about these things? Is there a travel primer somewhere that explains how to navigate foreign airports or what to do when returning back to the US?

Now there is a money scheme if you decide to write one. Problem is most people do not read, either on paper or on the internet.

I have another river cruise coming up in October, and as much as I enjoy the cruise and port tours, the flights before and after fill me with dread. Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

9/11 has a lot to answer for. We live in a new world.

Regarding the pre-flight interview when leaving Europe for the US - this must be a fairly recent policy. We first experienced this when leaving MXP (Milan, Italy) in 2017. It was strange to us and seemed a bit out of place as the interviewer was a Delta employee and the questions happened as we were in the queue for check in/baggage drop. Obviously we had nothing to worry about, but after passing the guards with machine guns, etc in the airport it was a bit strange. When flying home this year out of AMS (Amsterdam) Delta has a gate “D1” set up, which is a bank of desks that you go to for the interview. Once finished here they sticker your passport and give you your actual gate number.

We did not experience the interview when leaving Paris in 2016, or any trips prior.

Jeff

We first encountered the pre boarding interview in Amsterdam on a nonstop flight to MSP eight years ago. The current security measures should not cause dread. They should give some measure of confidence in the safety of the flight.

Thank you many times over for the great insights and advice. I knew my CC friends would come through.

So, if I'm understanding things correctly:

My flight to Switzerland goes like this - Nashville to Chicago, Chicago to Munich, and Munich to Basel. I'll go thru customs and immigration in Munich, and then because both Germany and Switzerland are Schengen, I just pick up my suitcase in Basel and go out the Swiss door and not the French door. :cool:

Coming back home it's Amsterdam to Newark, then Newark to Nashville. So it sounds like I'll go thru an extra screening at the gate in Amsterdam. Is that right?

Wis River, I understand the security aspects, it's just unnerving when you're pulled out of line and the other passengers are impatient and rolling their eyes. I was afraid I would miss the flight and be stranded by myself. I mostly travel by myself and have no one else to rely on or help me.

JohnKen, great info and an extra thank you. You're right about people not reading!

Roz

Yes, that is correct. Your extra screening when coming home will be in Amsterdam.

The security stuff is always changing. The only way to cope is to get to the airport with time to spare, stay patient, and follow directions as best you can.

So, if I'm understanding things correctly:

My flight to Switzerland goes like this - Nashville to Chicago, Chicago to Munich, and Munich to Basel. I'll go thru customs and immigration in Munich, and then because both Germany and Switzerland are Schengen, I just pick up my suitcase in Basel and go out the Swiss door and not the French door. :cool:

Close but not quite. You clear Schengen immigration in Munich and should get a Schengen entry stamp in your passport. Assuming your bag was checked to Basel you do not see your checked luggage in Munich. Upon arriving in Basel reclaim checked luggage and there should be 3 exits: Green for entry into Schengen with nothing to declare (probably you), Red for entry into Schengen with something to declare and Blue for passengers who are traveling within Schengen (eg someone who originated in Munich and flew to Basel. Typically there are no customs officials there to ask you questions and you just walk through, but they are monitoring and have the right to inspection if they so choose. Only after passing through the Green or Red line have you cleared Schengen Customs.

At your last Schengen airport (AMS sounds like your only Schengen airport on your return) you go through airport security, then Schengen emigration where you should get a Schengen exit stamp and then further inspection at the gate area for your US flight. Then in Newark go through US immigration, reclaim your luggage, go through customs, and you are in the US. Recheck your luggage (usually before exiting the Customs area) another round of security since you had access to your checked luggage and hope your bag shows up at Nashville. This is generally not as complicated as it sounds as you have little choice other than going on to the next required check point.

ENJOY

Thom

Now I'm confused again. I'm checking my bag thru to Basel, so wasn't expecting to claim it in Munich. What did I say or do wrong that made you think I was going to claim my bag in Munich? Will my passport be stamped in Munich or Basel?

Roz

Now I'm confused again. I'm checking my bag thru to Basel, so wasn't expecting to claim it in Munich. What did I say or do wrong that made you think I was going to claim my bag in Munich? Will my passport be stamped in Munich or Basel?

Roz

The comment that you would go through customs in Munich (as well as immigration). As TravelerThom has pointed out, your passport would be stamped in Munich, but you actually go through customs in Basel.

Roz

More information required. We need to know which airlines are involved and if this is all on one ticket booking.

If you are flying United/Lufthansa from Chicago to Munich and Lufthansa from Munich to Basel on one booking, United/Lufthansa will check your bags through to Basel. One booking means you did not book your Munich to Basel flight separately.

If you are flying Delta or American or some other airline from Chicago to Munich, the airline may not check your bags through to Basel but only to Munich. This is airline policy, and has nothing to do with immigration and customs. Delta or American are not part of Star Alliance and therefore are not obliged to check your bags through to Basel. However, if the flights are on one booking on separate airlines, the airlines will normally check your bags through to Basel.

Returning via Newark, you must collect and recheck you luggage. This is US Customs policy.

Yes it is confusing. Fundamental rule is to check you luggage tag to see which airport you bags are checked through to. Baggage tag codes to look out for:

Chicago: ORD

Munich: MUC

Basel: BSL

Nashville: BNA

Uniworld booked me on United/Lufthansa.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app

OK. So your bags will be checked through to Basel. You go through immigration (passport control) in Munich but don't see your bags. (You might have to go through security again.) In Basel you collect your bags, likely go through the Green line (nothing to declare) and make sure that you exit the airport into Switzerland. (There are different exits for Switzerland and France.) Enjoy your trip! It really won't be so difficult.

Flying into Heathrow last year. Omg. Lol. The immigration agent asked so what are you going to do for a week? Saying we were going to Buckingham Palace was not enough! I had to remember everything I planned. Then going home, the Edinburgh AA agent acts all friendly and engages you in conversation what did you do? Who is taking care of your house back home?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The agent in Brussels wasn't expecting my answer when she asked me what countries I had visited. Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, and Croatia aren't normally on the tourist list for Americans. She then asked me why I wanted to visit those countries. Maybe she thought I was colluding with Russians. :p

No wonder several older people I know have quit traveling. It can all be quite daunting.

Roz

Reading back over all this makes me wish I could just put myself in a pneumatic tube and be whisked across the ocean. When I got to my destination, the tube would be scanned by customs and immigration and I would be released. :')

Last year my flights to Bucharest and then back from Budapest were so exasperating I initially thought I would never do international travel by air again.

Roz

Been operating at London Heathrow and Dublin for about 5 years now if not longer.

Totally differant processes at these two airports. Dublin is a rare foreign airport that has US pre clearance. When on a Dublin to US flight you clear US customs and immigration in Dublin, then skip it in the States. Just grab your bag and go, or have it checked through to the final destination.

If on a Heathrow to US flight, it doesn't work that way; you clear US customs and immigration in the states. If you have an ongoing connection, you don't check you bag through. Rather you have to carry it through customs and recheck it.

... If you have an ongoing connection, you don't check you bag through. Rather you have to carry it through customs and recheck it.
I’ll have to disagree with your wording. Typically bags will be checked to your final destination BUT in the absence of preclearance you still have to claim your bag at your port of entry into the US, go through customs and then drop your bag which already has been tagged to your final destination at the bag drop after the Customs Officer but before the exit door from Customs.

Roz, one thing that no one has talked about is the Global Entry program, which you might find very comforting as a solo international traveler. Although it will mean dealing with one of those #$%^&* machines :loudcry:, it will usually mean a much shorter line in the immigration shed on your return and hence fewer stressed out people. And, as an added benefit, you get TSA-Pre at US airports (for me, that alone is worth the price of admission). Global Entry gets you what is known as a KTN (Known Travelers Number) which you enter any time you book a flight.

We used it for the first time this past January and it was a God-send. I had gotten sick near the end of our cruise and by the time we landed in BOS, I looked/felt like something the cat had dragged in. It seemed like there were thousands of people waiting in the lines--we couldn't even get through the hall to get to the correct line it was so crowded. But once we had elbowed our way to the Global Entry line, there was hardly anyone there and we were done the process in five minutes or so (including dealing with the #$%^&* machines) and heading to the van. I was so glad that we did not have to stand in line for what I am sure would have been hours. It was well, well worth the application fee.