Princess Cays Advice Needed

bumbletigger

Hello all Princess Experts!

DH and I will be spending a beach day at Princess Cays. I have tried to find some information, but an unable to locate anything but a map of the space.

We are looking for recommendations of where to set up camp, so to say, for the day that has the following things:

1. Shade

2. Snorkeling

3. Close to restrooms and or lunch/beverages

4. Non rocky beach entry to the water

We are willing to forgo one or more of there is a go to place that is amazing for one or more of what is listed. We are also willing to pay a same fee for any of the above, but not a cabana.

Where do you like to go?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Shade is available back from the water ,under trees and shelters , best spots fill early .

Some rocks upon entering the water in many spots , suggest water shoes.

Bars, Restrooms, are Lunch are short easy access from most beach areas.

I'm not a snorkeler

DH and I will be spending a beach day at Princess Cays. I have tried to find some information, but an unable to locate anything but a map of the space.

We are looking for recommendations of where to set up camp, so to say, for the day that has the following things:

1. Shade

2. Snorkeling

We are willing to forgo one or more of there is a go to place that is amazing for one or more of what is listed. We are also willing to pay a same fee for any of the above, but not a cabana.

Where do you like to go?

Get there early and set up camp under the palm trees. Do NOT get a clamshell for shade .. it is so hot in those. As you walk up from the tender, go just past the first bar you see and alongside of that is a pergola with lounge chairs where you can set up for the day, this is another good option. They even have had live music at the bar just off to the side. Also, some games set up just on the other side of the bar. Again, if you get to the island late, you have to take whatever is left over and many of the shaded spots will be taken. Never fear, though, some people set up at the picnic tables by the lunch, although then others don't necessarily have a place to sit and eat.

With any of those places, there are restrooms, bars, food, etc nearby.

The times I've been there, I haven't found a good area to enter the water where there are no rocks. I always take water shoes there ... save the bottom of the feet! Also, the sand gets really hot there so you want to have some footwear on just getting to the water anyway. You can buy a cheap pair at a local discount store (under $5) so you don't have to cart them back home with you once you've used them there.

If you find someone to share the cost of a cabana, it is a very good option even though I know you mentioned you hadn't wanted to go that route. We foolishly spent our money on a clamshell thinking that would be a good option ... it was not!! We ended up pitching in on a cabana instead with several other couples.

Stay onboard the ship. You have less crowds the pools the lotas spa has discounts while in ports do a couple massage use the sanctuary etc

Not fond of Princess Cays the beach is too rocky too crowded not the best sand

we are from florida where there is much better beaches

Stay onboard the ship. You have less crowds the pools the lotas spa has discounts while in ports do a couple massage use the sanctuary etc

Not fond of Princess Cays the beach is too rocky too crowded not the best sand

we are from florida where there is much better beaches

exactly...no need to get off the ship on PC more than once...tender, rocks - :(

you must all have gorgeous beaches where you are from. i like princess cays. i like tendering and i think the sand is good. i've never used water shoes. there are pebbles between the sand and the water but i didn't think it was a big deal. i usually manage to get shade under a palm tree or else i'm in the water anyway so it doesn't matter. its not that big so the buffet is not far from anywhere. and yes, i like the buffet too. :)

Go all the way to the left when you get off the tender..Has everything you listed.

Agreed. And the best place to enter the water to snorkel is about as far as you can go down to the left, just before hitting the cabanas. You can enter the water and swim around the end of the pier (I think on the map it might be called a pavilion) to get into some fish.

But if you want the best snorkeling, the excursion for advanced snorkelers is the way to go. Not many people on the boat, plenty of time in the water, and lots to see. Again, it's for experienced snorkelers only as there is no guidance or instruction given. You're just turned lose in the water.

I was just there in March and am returning in September. It was a while since I was last there and didn't remember the rocky bottom on the beach. We did rent the cabana and a water chair....we were given chairs way WAY down by the retaining wall. I had found last time we rented the cabana to raise the back high enough to set on the back of the lounger so air could circulate. The water was so rocky and I had to walk way the heck back towards the tender dock, I gave up the use of the water chair, wasted money. I didn't bring my water shoes, and just about broke my neck trying to get out of the water, I was stepping carefully, but hit a hole that almost took me down. So this time, we are just going for a lounger in the shade, a quick lunch then back to the ship....I like Grand Turk way better.

There are also enough tchotchke shops along the way to keep you happy. Especially when they have made in China on the bottom

Edited by myfuzzy

If you go back inland from the beach, there is a tall chain link fence that you may walk through if you have your passport. On the other side of the fence, there are a few craft stalls set up for your perusal. I did see some 'crafts' (ladies' necklaces) there for sale that were also for sale at Walgreens in Fort Lauderdale.

There is also a wooden tower on the beach side that you may climb. It affords a lovely view of the forest inland and also out to sea. We did some bird watching from that tower.

The cruise ship sets up a BBQ lunch buffet which is very good. There are some games to play and also an area with music and dancing.

There is lots to keep you entertained! Enjoy Princess Cays!

1. Shade

2. Snorkeling

Where do you like to go?

They have these "Clam shell" loungers that provide some shade & plenty of trees. If you snorkel there's abundant fish in the shade of the cabana at the pier end.

Thank you for all of your input. I appreciate it.

One more question...Is the soda and more package good on Princess Cays. Maybe not the soda, but the virgin drinks?

Definitely not the soda as the package does not include cans and that is the only soda there.

I have tough feet and haven't needed water shoes at Princess Cays. We've stopped bringing along our snorkeling gear. It's not great there.

Really? I found the snorkeling pretty good there.

Depending on the day....snorkeling can be really good. We have been when the water has been crystal clear and lots of fish and days that it wasn't worth the effort to us. We have never had an issue finding shade to the left of the pier and like the beach there early in the day before is gets super crowded. Like others have said...the clam shells get wicked hot! Sometimes lately we stay on board.... but we cruise a couple times a year. Since our last two years of fall hurricanes....I now where water shoes at our local FL beach and any stop in the Eastern Caribbean.

There is nothing amazing in any of your categories at Princess Cay.

I agree. A tiny island, with some pretty fish, but nothing spectacular. Smoke from the giant grills completely enveloped the entire beach on our trip in November, and triggered a migraine.

Water shoes are a must. 2 years ago my feet were cut slightly in several places, but my kid sliced his foot on a rock really badly, so now all of us wear water shoes on Princess Cay. After that he refused to get into ANY water for the rest of the cruise, be it a shower or sea water or pool. Not a great vacation.

I was just there in March and am returning in September. It was a while since I was last there and didn't remember the rocky bottom on the beach.

the beach and water entrance are sandy, but the sharp rocks are hiding right under the sand.

We skipped the crowds and went RIGHT instead of left, crossing over the bridge. It looks like you're not supposed to go there, but you are. Just past where Princess' beach ends are some tide pools. They're not Monterey, but they were interesting nonetheless. Getting back on the ship was horrendous. The lines snake like Disneyland lines (switchbacks) and you think you're almost there only to find out you're not even halfway to the front. Probably spent as much time in the lines and on the tender as we did on the beach. If you're determined to go, though, the lady doing the stingray excursion was excellent and we heard it was a fantastic introduction for those who haven't interacted with the rays before.

Also, if you want hats, shirts, shells, etc, exit the Princess area out the back (make sure you have ID). There are locals selling things there - Mary's Hats has great merchandise at excellent prices.

We plan to stay on the ship next time and enjoy the deck chairs.